Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

GIT. I like it but as Dr Watson would say, it's nothing to write Holmes about.

2. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Speaking of which, I would like to try some more sandalwood scents (other than Etro Sandalo). Any recommendations SOTD'ers?

Bois des Iles is really good for sandalwood. It's pretty unisex.

Today, Shalimar EdP

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

L'Artisan Vanila... This smells more like Tea for Two to me than a straight up vanilla.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Encens et Bubblegum

5. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

How about Wonderwood? Speaking of which -- tonight it's Comme des Garcons 2

Wonderwood looks pretty interesting. I love the BN reviewer's comment that said it smellled like highschool woodshop. Thanks for the tip.

Bois des Iles is really good for sandalwood. It's pretty unisex.
    Today, Shalimar EdP

How did I miss Bois des Iles? That looks fantastic, even the EdT looks like it will do the job. I have read varying opinions on Shalimar. Of course there is always the "the vintage is fantastic, the current formulation completely sucks" opinion, which seems to be common, at least on BN. What formulations have you tried and liked?

6. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

Oops, forgot. Cartier Declaration today. Really like this. Citrus/spice/wood with a touch of vetiver. As with all of the Jean Claude Ellena's scents I have tried, the smell is beautiful, but the longevity is low.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Ormonde Woman today: a really dark green hemlock scent. Easily worn by a man.

For sandlewood, you might give Egoiste a shot.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

9. Corporate Whore

Corporate Whore New Member

Diptyque Philosykos.

Inspired by this thread, having never previously worn any sort of fragrance (perfume being for old ladies and cologne something colleagues use to advertise they're slipping out for an interview at lunch), I decided to try stinking. I ordered samples of Philosykos, Annick Goutal Sables, L'Artisan Parfumeur Fou d'Absinthe, Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac, Montale Auod Lime, and Penhaligons Verveine.

I loved the Auod Lime and the Sables and wanted to like Philosykos, but after trying it today the scent just didn't seem to last. I'm thinking I'll get the Auod Lime now and Sables when it starts getting cooler later in the year, unless there's others I should sample first.

I don't know enough yet to say what I liked about the Auod Lime and Sables other then that they both remained sharp and distinctive even hours out and didn't have any of the complex floral stereotypical 'perfume' scent (which the Verveine and Fou d'Absinthe both had) I learned to loathe as a kid.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ another one turns to the dark side.. muahahaha. [​IMG]

Today, still spinning through the ol' herd: YSL Live Jazz. When I first tried it from the sample box, I thought it a weak imitation of Platinum Egoiste, but now I think of it as easier-wearing and more versatile.

11. Dane

Dane Senior member

Amouage Dia Man for me today.

12. tps16

tps16 Senior member

How did I miss Bois des Iles? That looks fantastic, even the EdT looks like it will do the job. I have read varying opinions on Shalimar. Of course there is always the "the vintage is fantastic, the current formulation completely sucks" opinion, which seems to be common, at least on BN. What formulations have you tried and liked?

I've only used the current edp formulation, which I like quite a bit. I've heard the edp and extrait are very similar, but the edt I smelled seemed like a different scent. I think it is pretty easy for a guy to wear this, and compared to how feminine many perfumes are today, it seems pretty unisex.

Coco edp today.

13. CologneReview

CologneReview Senior member

14. giony

giony Senior member

Love by Kilian today, Nicolai Vie de Chateau by night.