1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Miran2

Miran2 Senior member

Tam Dao layered?

2. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Woke up still smelling of Coco from last night. That stuff really does last!! So I put on Antaeus this morning. They seem like they have quite a few notes in common

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It's quite a linear sandalwood scent and I like to use it's softness, or what others describe as a classic sandalwood "creaminess" to balance out the sharp orange and black pepper in the Terre d'Hermes. I almost always layer the two.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

That one was a long-lasting Basenotes "MUST HAVE" scent. It followed PdN New York and preceded Tauer LdDM. :)

No Lutens ever really hit any of my buttons... and I tried (and owned) probably 10-12 of them. Kept trying to find the appeal... never did. :(

Yum! It does last. I have a 30ml bottle of pure parfum... imagine the longevity of that one. You smell it for weeks. :) Really enjoy Coco as one of the 80's "powerhouse" orientals.

Along with La Baiser du dragon (cartier), it can't be beat.

Speaking of, tonight I'll go with La Baiser EdP. the pure parfum is thick as motor oil and a little much... but the EdP is lovely. :)

I'd actually like to replace it with Malle Portrait of a Lady... but at $300 a bottle... I'm still holding off. When you get in the $300 range, you approach Guerlain pure parfums or caron extraits... and it's hard to beat those.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  5. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Mine today is Guerlian Vetiver.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yesterday Malle - En Passant.
    Today Chergui.

7. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Still haven't tried New York.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I never thought of that. I'll have to try it, because TdH does nothing for me on its own.

To day, Chergui is the only one that really hit for me. I'm close to trying Santal Blanc but only if I can score a bottle, cheapish.

I thought it was nice (but not must-have), wife hated it. It was too powdery for her liking.

Today...Antaeus.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I never was able to love Chergui. None of the big oriental Lutens ever felt wearable for me. I do like MKK, which is kind of oriental, but on the transparent side. I really love Encens et Lavande. Rose du Nuit is fantastic. I sampled Sarassins in Paris a few years ago and remember loving it, but it was just that once so who knows.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I love SL's Tubereuse Criminelle and I consider it a great indulgent when I wear it.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I like Chergui, but I can't work up any stronger feeling than that. I've come to like it more and more over time, though. Unsurprisingly, my favorite Lutens fragrances are a couple of feminines: Feminite du Bois and Datura Noir. I also like Muscs Koublai Khan very much; it's my SOTD today.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Yeah, I'd also heard it was discontinued. I've got a few bottles here at Holt Renfrew though so if you're looking for some I can get it for you. Actually I probably wouldn't want a whole bottle myself but maybe a small decant so PM me if you're interested in a split.
    have only tested this once for fear I'll love it or hate it despite all the hype. I have Gris Clair and am considering a bottle of Fumerie Turque along with encense et lavande. hated Datura, but it's totally you Incandescent.

13. L'Incandescent

That could be taken a couple of different ways! "I hate this thing, which puts me in mind of L'Incandescent, to whom this hateful thing is fitting and appropriate." :laugh:

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Datura Noir reminded me of Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion, except a lot more expensive.

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

L'occitane The Vert. Loving it for the hot South American summer.

Still doesn't have enough longevity or silage, the same problem as Eau de Bois.

Wish they made their fragrances in EdP strength.

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

17. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

Can I have some recommendations for a fragrance with mostly citrus notes (orange)?

18. L'Incandescent

There are lots and lots of possibilities here. Before we start naming fragrances, it might be helpful to know if you've got a price range in mind. Are you looking for something designer (i.e., something you can buy at Macy's or Dillard's) or are you interested in a niche fragrance?

@ HORNS: I don't know why, but it's really surprising to see that you're wearing A*Men!

19. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

L'occitane Thé Vert/Green Tea is pretty citrusy... but also with some notes of jasmine. Don't get much green tea on my skin. Plus, it's 50 bucks for 3.4 oz/100ml. Can't beat that.

20. Aeneas

Aeneas Senior member

For price nothing outrageous.
    Something under 50 a bottle (would most likely be buying a small amount from the ?perfume shop? As a test)
    And I do not have a preference on designer or niche.