Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

I just love this one! I'm surprised at your description of the open as a melon note. To me it's a very soft, fuzzy scent that's livened up by a touch of violet. I'm guessing that it's the cashmeran that you're smelling as soapy.

It was a destinct honeydew melon scent. Maybe it is a scent/memory flashback because honeydew melon is commonly served in Taiwan. I wonder if it is the musk in the base that reads as melon to me? In any case the soapiness has mutated to a "fresh sandalwood". I'm going to keep it in the rotation for a while, so we'll see.

The problem I always have with violet is I didn't grow up around it and don't have a solid sense of it. In the SF area my "home scents" are marine, sage, cedar, fir, pine, oak, lavender, thyme, rosemary, ecalyptus, rose, fruit tree blossoms, etc. Violet is in short supply.

2. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Anyone have any experience with Polo Double Black? I've been looking at picking it up, but it seems that it doesn't last that long. Still worth it?

3. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Someone recommend me a 'summery' fragrance. My selection of campfire/'unwashed hooha' frags may not go over well on hot and humid days.

4. Dane

Dane Senior member

Anyone have any experience with Polo Double Black? I've been looking at picking it up, but it seems that it doesn't last that long. Still worth it?
    Gross.
    Someone recommend me a 'summery' fragrance. My selection of campfire/'unwashed hooha' frags may not go over well on hot and humid days.
    $$$ - Heeley Verveine $$ - Chanel Pour Monsieur or Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte $ - Caldey Island Lavender

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

It's not awful but I prefer Polo Green myself.

YSL Live Jazz is not bad and quite inexpensive. Actually, I've got perhaps a dozen in the rotation that would work. Aramis New West and Tuscany. Signoricci, Eau Sauvage, Pour Monsieur. Mugler Cologne is also good, as is the Chanel Cologne, among others. And then there are the Bay Rums.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Agree with Dane on the Heeley Vervine. I didn't find it to have that much staying power though. Rach loves New West. T-Rex and I like Live Jazz. I'd throw Mechant Loup out there as a nighttime summer frag.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

YSL Live Jazz is not bad and quite inexpensive. Actually, I've got perhaps a dozen in the rotation that would work. Aramis New West and Tuscany. Signoricci, Eau Sauvage, Pour Monsieur. Mugler Cologne is also good, as is the Chanel Cologne, among others. And then there are the Bay Rums.
    Agree with Dane on the Heeley Vervine. I didn't find it to have that much staying power though. Rach loves New West. T-Rex and I like Live Jazz. I'd throw Mechant Loup out there as a nighttime summer frag.
    +1000 Great suggestions.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Today - ELdO Tom of Finland. This one is definitely getting split. LOVE this.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today continues a trend I started in February: wearing each one of the bottles, no repeats, through March. Since it was cool outside I thought it safe to wear a scent I don't much go for: Guerlain Heritage. In particular, it's nice but there's that ginger note that lends a brassy tone that just gets louder throughout the day. At the moment, though, it's very well-behaved.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I think it's T who loves New West. My summer frag is Eau de lalique!

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

...and Jicky. Sometimes layered, especially on days featuring long subway rides.

12. rach2jlc

...and Jicky. Sometimes layered, especially on days featuring long subway rides.
    Ah, yes... my semi-annual ritual known as the "Crowd Pleaser." Tokyo Metro system LOOOOVES it . So much so I'm generally given the whole car to myself. (haha)

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

My bad. I was thinking JHL and wrote New West for some reason.

14. rach2jlc

My bad. I was thinking JHL and wrote New West for some reason.
    JHL would be another (with the Mechant Loup mentioned earlier) as a good summer night fragrance. For daytime, the stinky citruses work really well. Emporio armani he WHITE is another that I really quite liked (and I'm not generally an Armani fan.) It had a neat, intentionally synthetic/mod white musk note along with the citrus that was very satisfying. Anyway, it's sunny and almost spring-like today, so one has little choice but to break out Chamade as teh SOTD. (EdT strength)

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

For daytime, the stinky citruses work really well. Emporio armani he WHITE is another that I really quite liked (and I'm not generally an Armani fan.) It had a neat, intentionally synthetic/mod white musk note along with the citrus that was very satisfying.
    I believe this is the first and only fragrance that I actually stopped mid-day to scrub off in the shower. Something about it was just nauseating to me.