Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dane

Dane Senior member

Acqua di Giò pour Homme today. I am new to scents and am trying to work through the popular/obvious ones. I find Acqua di Giò pleasant, but pretty bland as well. Not offensive but not very interesting either.
    Skip the obvious ones...or at least list what your options are and we can help narrow down the ones that aren't worth the effort. Having said that, some popular scents are popular for a reason - they're good. For the most part though, guys have crap taste and wear whatever's cheap (read: Axe). ps - if you like Acqua di Gio, go for Nautica Voyage instead.

2. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

I went with Bulgari Aqua today. Pedestrian, for sure, but a staple to keep in the gym bag for when I'm not in a cologne sort of mood.

Somewhat off topic - Today I went to ship some samples to someone in Canada and the smug (is there any other kind) post office lady informed me that under no circumstances can you send cologne through the mail. 'It will explode or catch fire in the airplane' she said. I tried to explain that I received frags in the mail on a regular basis and she said, "I don't think so". Is the solution to not mention what's in the box on the customs form? Will I be marked out as an Al Quaeda member for attempting such a dastardly deed?

3. boo

boo Senior member

I went with Bulgari Aqua today. Pedestrian, for sure, but a staple to keep in the gym bag for when I'm not in a cologne sort of mood.

Somewhat off topic - Today I went to ship some samples to someone in Canada and the smug (is there any other kind) post office lady informed me that under no circumstances can you send cologne through the mail. 'It will explode or catch fire in the airplane' she said. I tried to explain that I received frags in the mail on a regular basis and she said, "I don't think so". Is the solution to not mention what's in the box on the customs form? Will I be marked out as an Al Quaeda member for attempting such a dastardly deed?

I put "model car parts" on the customs form, and throw a few paper clips into the box so that you hear them when you shake it. I then put a fake sender name and return address. I also inform the recipient of what I'm doing, and require that they be willing to bear the customs risk in the transaction and pay via a gift. I know a lot of people just put "cosmetics" on the customs form and get away with it, but I also heard of one case where they went back to fine the sender.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I don't get it. How do the Perfumed Court and Luckyscent stay in business if this is really a rule?

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Because they send it via ground transport. USPS is the same way. You can ship perfumes, but there are packaging restrictions and ground shipping is mandatory.

6. MyTailorIsRich

MyTailorIsRich Senior member

Skip the obvious ones...or at least list what your options are and we can help narrow down the ones that aren't worth the effort.

Having said that, some popular scents are popular for a reason - they're good. For the most part though, guys have crap taste and wear whatever's cheap (read: Axe).

ps - if you like Acqua di Gio, go for Nautica Voyage instead.

Here's what I have (all samples I got from Crystal Flagon). I put a note after the ones I've tried:

Acqua di Giò pour Homme [as I said, OK, but not much to it]

Bois du Portugal

Penhaligon's English Fern [didn't like it; like baby talc except for the very end]

Green Irish Tweed [liked it! I know this is v. popular]

MillÃ[​IMG]sime ImpÃ[​IMG]rial

Creed Orange Spice

Silver Mountain Water

Terre d'Hermès [liked it]

Creed VÃ[​IMG]tiver [hated it; very soap like]

Houbigant Fougère Royale [the only one I actually own; it is what got me interested in fragrance; I see it doesn't get that great of reviews but I like it so far]

Appreciate your comments!

7. Dane

Dane Senior member

Here's what I have (all samples I got from Crystal Flagon). I put a note after the ones I've tried:

Acqua di Giò pour Homme [as I said, OK, but not much to it]

Bois du Portugal

Penhaligon's English Fern [didn't like it; like baby talc except for the very end]

Green Irish Tweed [liked it! I know this is v. popular]

MillÃ[​IMG]sime ImpÃ[​IMG]rial

Creed Orange Spice

Silver Mountain Water

Terre d'Hermès [liked it]

Creed VÃ[​IMG]tiver [hated it; very soap like]

Houbigant Fougère Royale [the only one I actually own; it is what got me interested in fragrance; I see it doesn't get that great of reviews but I like it so far]

Appreciate your comments!

I'm not a Creed fan, so I won't comment on those. The rest are fairly basic men's department store scents...nothing wrong with any of them, but not terribly exciting either.

A bit of a debate over it in this thread, but I still think Cartier's Declaration is one of the best men's scents on the market today. I'll add Lalique's Encre Noire and Mugler Cologne are both sample-worthy.

Wearing Kenzo Kashaya today. [​IMG]

8. Dane

Dane Senior member

I put "model car parts" on the customs form, and throw a few paper clips into the box so that you hear them when you shake it. I then put a fake sender name and return address. I also inform the recipient of what I'm doing, and require that they be willing to bear the customs risk in the transaction and pay via a gift. I know a lot of people just put "cosmetics" on the customs form and get away with it, but I also heard of one case where they went back to fine the sender.

To quote someone on MUA..."perfume, in the postage world, is spelled S-N-O-W-G-L-O-B-E". Lulz.

I usually say "glass bottle" or "cosmetic oil".

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, getting more like spring every morning, so I went with Knize Ten. The powdery carnation business seems to be fading with each application - that or I'm just ignoring it now.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I really enjoyed K10 yesterday. Very old world, reasonably complex. Didn't project that much but was definitely present for 14+ hours, this stuff is persistant. Today, continuing the leather trend - Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. I forgot how SMOKEY this one is, wow. I think birch tar? Ambre Fetiche has the amber to warm it up but this is just really dry and sharp, and I like smokey but this is a little too charred even for me. I'm hoping a bit of fruitiness or amber or something kicks in eventually to round this out. Nice, but just not my cup of tea at all. Very good for what it is though. I think the Knize is better rounded out and more wearable, which for juice that smells like leather, is a relative term. Also as compared to Jubilation XXV, I think it's a leather at it's core with some incense but what surprised me when I wore it a few days ago is just how fruity it was, and how fruity it stayed for the whole duration of the day. I figured the berries would have worn off but they stayed most of the time. Still nice, and different enough from K10 to own both.

11. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I'm not a Creed fan, so I won't comment on those. The rest are fairly basic men's department store scents...nothing wrong with any of them, but not terribly exciting either. A bit of a debate over it in this thread, but I still think Cartier's Declaration is one of the best men's scents on the market today. I'll add Lalique's Encre Noire and Mugler Cologne are both sample-worthy. Wearing Kenzo Kashaya today. [​IMG]
    Count me in as a Declaration fan, but then again I've been a longtime lover of Bigarade Concentree, Eau d'hermes, Pamplelune, and the other "stinky" citruses. Bond no. 9 Little Italy, too, is another bitter citrus... though I like it less than all of these others, and when factoring in the $$$$, it's probably NOT a recommendation. Ungaro II for me again; I'm trying to give this one it's OWN appeal... but I just keep thinking "like a less-balanced, less nice Jicky... but with citrus!"

12. Master-Classter

I find Jicky has a certain 'stuffiness' to it that the citrus in Ungaro II avoids, so it's easier to wear. I still think it's extremely unique and a bargain for the price compared to Jicky.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Guerlain Nahema for me.

I expect to be getting some Ungaro II in the mail any day now, and I'm very excited to give it a try. [​IMG]

14. Master-Classter

Should arrive soon buddy!

My mom loves Rose and big florals so I was betting on Nahema for a birthday present but when she smelled a sample she just said 'meh'... I'm surprised. You tried No.22?

15. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

thought I would chime in here as I've been jumping in on a number of the splits.

so I picked up some green irish tweed because the woman says every time she smells that on someone she just wants to go home and masterbate.... figured that was good enough reason as any to pick some up. I have to be honest that for one reason or another, the scent just doesn't stick to my skin. spray it on and 15 minutes later, its non existant.

now the tuscan leather, holy hell. that makes me want to go home and masterbate... well no, it actually wants me to quit smoking because I just love that smell on me. I will be picking up much much more of that.