Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Dane

Dane Senior member

Amouage Dia today. After sampling almost the entire line, my favs are:

1. XXV / Memoir (tie)
    2. Dia
    3. Reflection

I love XXV, but I find it wears you...Dia is more subtle and easier to wear regularly. Reflection is gag-worthy. [​IMG]

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Today, Juicy Couture Dirty English... a good spin here and a cool bottle and it's cheap, but somehow I just don't think this will make the cut since it's good but not great in any way.

tonight - left hand Trumper's Astor, super green/mossy thing. not my cup of tea at ALL, but i'm sure someone will like this. right hand - Royall Lyme, this is growing on me. a bay rum + musk. Very old world and I suspect I'll probably appreciate this more in 20 years.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Really??? It's so good!
    Yeah, I don't know about that. I got sort of a nutmeg-y/cumin-y smell and it just really wasn't anything special. I got a nice sized sample so I'll give it another shot.
    Amouage Dia today. After sampling almost the entire line, my favs are: 1. XXV / Memoir (tie) 2. Dia 3. Reflection
    Dia then XXV so far. Didn't get a Reflection sample but I did get a Lyric to try out.

4. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

The general guideline is that you keep them from light and heat. Light is generally more damaging than heat, which is why a lot of folks who have a number of bottles tend to keep them in their boxes at all times. Also: exposure to air (e.g. - splash bottles) tends to allow the scent to start degrading in the bottle.

That said, mine stay in either a drawer or the closet - both of which tend to be pretty cool.

Some folks with really rare/irreplaceable scents use a fridge - again, keeping it in the box as well.

For reference, the Osmotheque in Paris (perfume library/museum, for lack of a better way to put it) uses refrigerators to preserve the scents they've amassed over the decades, and access to their scent library is tightly-controlled.

That said, even with those precautions, bottles can still turn for any reason or no reason at all.

Fridge is a pain in the ass. I just keep mine on a closet shelf and out of the bathroom light.

Thanks, guys. We've had about 5 consecutive days of 35+ degrees and very humid. They didn't have a chance. It's a shame really because it makes me think twice about what I keep. I guess after this month, I have a nice stretch of 9 months, but next summer might see a few more casualties.

T, I have to thank you for suggesting CSP O'Pomelo to me a while back. It's a favourite "ňústinky' citrus (along with Pamplelune, and maybe Bigarade Concentree). There is a pomelo effect in the accord similar to that of the outer skin of the fruit. It's no pomelo tree but it's nice enough. Longevity is shockingly bad. I still like having it on hand, though. Unfortunately, it's one of the many that turned.

Today, it's Iris Silver Mist. This is the mother of all irides.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

CDG Avignon. Spicy, smoky, and dry dry dry. Not yet sure if it's a keeper. Might have to layer with something like Kiehl's Musk next time.

6. Dane

Dane Senior member

^^ I used to layer it with various Montales.

Yvresse today...Mitsouko yesterday...life's a peach.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ I used to layer it with various Montales.

Yvresse today...Mitsouko yesterday...life's a peach.

Montales are a big no-go for me. I don't even like having their samples around.

8. Dane

Dane Senior member

Montales are a big no-go for me. I don't even like having their samples around.

Ya, me too...but I own one that I found a bit bland after a while, so I mashed them together.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Lolita Lempicka today.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Lolita Lempicka today.
    The original? Good lord.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

The original? Good lord.

[​IMG] Are you suggesting that the Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to wear such a fine fragrance? I'm not a man of faith myself, but I do feel fortunate to wear Lolita Lempicka from time to time.

12. homi

homi Senior member

Six Scents Series Three : Juun J

A new personal favorite

[​IMG]

Also just got a bottle of cdg : incense avignon.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG] Are you suggesting that the Lord has blessed me with the opportunity to wear such a fine fragrance? I'm not a man of faith myself, but I do feel fortunate to wear Lolita Lempicka from time to time.
    I am suggesting that the Lord has blessed you with an underpowering set of nostrils. I remember trying that LL when it first came out. It made me smell like a French whore. At the end of her shift.

14. Dane

Dane Senior member

Are we talking about the women's LL or the men's?

Either way, I quite like both.