Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are we talking about the same fragrance? If I were to pick a fragrance that no one would ever describe as skanky, I might just pick Twill Rose. To me it's a delicate, inoffensive, somewhat sweet rose. I'm beginning to worry, though: just within the last week or so, two fragrances that I like a fair bit--Twill Rose and Rose Poivree--were described by others as skanky. (Rambo described the latter as smelling like an unwashed cunt.) Maybe there's something that I'm missing, but that everyone around me is not!
    Fixed this for accuracy.
    I kinda feel the same way when I'm wearing Kingdom, Kouros, or Mouchoir de Monsieur. Like everyone else smells something rank, but I don't - and it's me.
    Any of these three could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon. Today - ELdO Chagrone - smells like vanilla baby powder.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ well, the Kouros is off to a new home, along with a couple of backup bottles I'll never get around to using. And what did I get for my unused backups? A backup of Knize 10.

ah well. Pavlov at work.

Today, trying Hermes Ambre Narguile. Interesting twist on amber: where other amber scents lay it on thick, this one - thus far, is dancing around amber. Right now, it's fruity/peppery/sandalwood, giving a dry, spare impression of amber through sleight-of-hand. A summer amber.

3. Dane

Dane Senior member

Twill Rose uses Animalis...a base containing castoreum, musk, civet...you name it. Nasty stuff. Muscs Koublai Khan uses it to great effect. Twill Rose is essentially Animalis with a green rose topnote. *barf*

Rose Poivree's skank-factor depends on the vintage...newer versions are more of a pretty rose. The older stuff didn't have much rose at all frankly.

Testing Humiecki & Graef's Bosque today...a nice mix of L'Eau d'Hiver & Bois Farine.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Twill Rose uses Animalis...a base containing castoreum, musk, civet...you name it. Nasty stuff. Muscs Koublai Khan uses it to great effect. Twill Rose is essentially Animalis with a green rose topnote. *barf*

I had no idea that Twill Rose used Animalis. To my nose, the paradigmatic Animalis scent is Vierges et Toreros. I can really smell it in that one, even more than in MKK, and I can understand why people might find it repugnant. (I like Vierges et Toreros quite a bit.) But for whatever reason, I don't pick that up in Twill Rose at all. Hmm.

TF Amber Absolute for me today.

5. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Bleu De Chanel is my favorite.

I tried that a few months ago. Truly rancid, imo.

6. rioni

rioni Senior member

+1

I tried that a few months ago. Truly rancid, imo.

7. boo

boo Senior member

No love for Bleu? I'll admit it's not the most complex or sophisticated fragrance in the world, but I kind of like it [​IMG] Plus, how can you not enjoy that magnetic cap!

Antaeus was my SOTD.

8. CologneReview

CologneReview Senior member

9. toddmgladwin

toddmgladwin New Member

Decided to test TF Moss Breches today, undecided about it. I find it too sweet at first, but once it settled i think it's great

buy one while you still can, it has been discontinued.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

today: Hermes Equipage. One of those that I seldom wear, until Baron mentions it.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

No love for Bleu? I'll admit it's not the most complex or sophisticated fragrance in the world, but I kind of like it [​IMG] Plus, how can you not enjoy that magnetic cap!

Antaeus was my SOTD.

I don't hate Bleu, but it was a disappointment considering it was from Chanel. That said, I've never tried the Allure series of scents - for me, Chanel masculines start at Pour Monsieur and end at Egoiste.

12. Dane

Dane Senior member

I literally *hate* Bleu...it's nauseating, trite, and everything wrong with the fragrance industry today. No doubt panel tested by a bunch of illiterate monkeys who think Axe "gets the bitches". Revolting on every level.

Rant over. Wearing H&G Geste today. Not loving this one either.

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Noir de Noir today.

14. loveswatching

loveswatching Senior member

Taking it ol skool with Davidoff cool water.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

tuscan leather..this scent is amazing! completely different from what I was expecting. one of my top three faves as of now!