• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

entropy kid

Reaction score
Vetiver by Guerlain for the first time. I'm having a hard time to decide whether I actually like it, there's a note in there that smells almost..."medicinal". Maybe that's just my impression because I only used rather smooth woody scents for a long time.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid
Vetiver by Guerlain for the first time. I'm having a hard time to decide whether I actually like it, there's a note in there that smells almost..."medicinal". Maybe that's just my impression because I only used rather smooth woody scents for a long time.

My bottle of vetiver should be delivered today. I tried it once and fell hard for it, which is strange since I never liked a) vetiver, or b) anything guerlain. The opening was nice enough but the drydown was rapturous.

Today, though, it's cold, drizzly, and a nice day for John Varvatos.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas-- which Vetiver are you getting? Today my sotd is: Gris Clair by Lutens.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am getting the most recent version of Guerlain Vetiver. I received a decant with a recent swap, and it simply knocked my socks off. I spent a Saturday morning at the office sniffing my wrist and starting into space.

Wait - I stare into space at the office every day. Nothing special there.

But I had an alert at scentiments for a large tester, they arrived, and I pulled the trigger.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guerlain's Vetiver--- a classic and one of my favorites! They did change the bottle and formula from the original one. Still good though.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a sample of Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire, and I hate it bitterly. I'd read a while back that this is what Guerlain Vetiver originally was, and I stayed far away from it. Irony is that I know someone who sells the original Guerlain Vetiver, but I'll not touch it with a 10-foot pole. I could roll around in my garden and get the same effect. But when I smelled the latest, I was hooked.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my recollection, the original Guerlain Vetiver smells nothing at all like the Malle's VE. Ropoin's Vetiver Extraordinaire has 25 percent more vetiver and he matches five more wood notes to play up the scent's various facets. I'm intrigued that you did not respond favorably to it:)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, the last time I tried it was in my earlier (caveman) days of scent exploration. Some scents I might have since warmed up to, but each time I tried VE I've thought - jeez, now I've got to shower again.

Once I get my hit of Guerlain, I'll try the VE again and see what happens.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Well, the last time I tried it was in my earlier (caveman) days of scent exploration. Some scents I might have since warmed up to, but each time I tried VE I've thought - jeez, now I've got to shower again.

Once I get my hit of Guerlain, I'll try the VE again and see what happens.

My scentiments ( no pun intended ) are with you. I've come a long way from my singular citrus note days. Interesting how taste in scents change as our olfactory glands develop more. Five years ago, I would have found aouds to be repulsive and now they've become a staple in my fragrance wardrobe collection. Yeah--- give VE a second chance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My bottle of Guerlain turned up last night, but today I opted for Parfums de Nicolai New York. I'm liking this more now.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gris Clair again today.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Trying out a new way of applying of fragrances. I'm spraying it into air three times, walking into it back and forth. And spraying a little bit on the wrist.

I used to: Spray on chest once/twice. On neck once. On both wrists a little bit (dab them together and dab the wrists on the back of neck)

What are the routines for you guys?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Post-shower. I spray scent on my damp towel, maybe 10-12 sprays, lay it on the floor, then roll around on the damp towel on the floor for a minute or two. Then I start dressing.

Wife is considering having me locked up, but I'm happy, so what the hell.

Mandrake9072

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Post-shower. I spray scent on my damp towel, maybe 10-12 sprays, lay it on the floor, then roll around on the damp towel on the floor for a minute or two. Then I start dressing.
sly.gif
Interesting... You must go through a lot of towels then. Since the scent stays and no use in using same towel (until washed) next time to dry off (especially if you plan on using different scent next time)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads