Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Oud 27 today. I initially found this to be too strange and overpowering, but it's become a comfort scent for me. I really like everything I've tried from Le Labo. I'm anxious to sample the vetiver and gaiac perfumes they make.

Vetiver 46 opens beautifully, but fortunately for my pocketbook it gets kind of pedestrian and not bottle-worthy. IMHO.

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Wearing Varvatos today. I bought it a few years ago. Slightly saccharine and musky. Boring and not very high quality.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

M7. I never wear this one. It's so strong and really unlike anything else.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Angel for me today.

5. rioni

rioni Senior member

Bond #9 New Haarlem

6. boo

boo Senior member

M7. I never wear this one. It's so strong and really unlike anything else.

I absolutely love this in the winter and evenings. I should have stocked up on the vintage bottles. I never worried about it before because it seemed like it was all over the place in local perfume shops, but when I was shopping around for a new bottle late last year, all the stock I could find was reformulated [​IMG]

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I absolutely love this in the winter and evenings. I should have stocked up on the vintage bottles. I never worried about it before because it seemed like it was all over the place in local perfume shops, but when I was shopping around for a new bottle late last year, all the stock I could find was reformulated [​IMG]
    Anybody know how you can tell the vintage M7 from the reformulated? I've had a full bottle for several years now that I never use. I suspect its vintage but I'm not sure.

8. Baron

What does the new stuff smell like? I'm sure there must be tons of the old stuff around if you know where to look.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What does the new stuff smell like? I'm sure there must be tons of the old stuff around if you know where to look.
    Beats me. This is the only bottle that I've smelled. Given that its 4 yrs old or so I assume its not the reform.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Womanity today.
    hmmm, I just smelled that on someone the other day and followed the smell around the whole store just to figure out which girl it was. I've tried wearing it a few times and while it's artistically interesting, personally i just find it too 'funky'. the more i think about it the more nauseous I get.
    Today, strangely enough, I pulled a small decant of Goutal Ambre Fetische. It's quite nice in an herbal-amber way.
    ohhh, I was just debating about getting one of those. PM me if you ever get tired of it. On paper it lasts DAYS, how's it on the skin?
    I could have sworn someone mentioning they were looking for a coffee-ground-type coffee scent. IIRC, the drydown smells exactly of that. I used to have this but only liked the fruity opening, which doesn't last very long.
    it was probably me looking for the coffee note. I'm still looking around for a good coffee. i need to try Angel pure coffee and the Ava Luxe one. The Malone Black Vetyver Cafe is out for longevity reasons and that only leaves New Haarlem in the running.
    I was at Khiel's today and tried on their #1 Musk. Didn't like the topnotes. Too fruity or something, but like it much more once it dried back.
    give it some time to wear off the topnotes, it's a solid frag. also excellent for layering. try it.
    Tried AdP Colonia Intensa the other day. Really liked it a lot.
    Also tried Creed Aventus, but it was too sweet for me. It was very nice though and I could see how someone would like it. it's just not for me.

if you like the pineapple plus herbs thing, then try 1. Bond Riverside Drive, and 2. Joop Nightflight.
    I've heard the new stuff is nowhere as good as the vintage and the vintage is apparently getting tough to find.

I'm finally back from holidays and along the way picked up vintage Guerlain's Heritage, Tommy Bahama, Prada Amber, MPG Racine, Casswell-Massey Sandlewood, Musc Ravageur and CDG Kyoto. I'd say a pretty solid haul.

11. Baron

it was probably me looking for the coffee note. I'm still looking around for a good coffee. i need to try Angel pure coffee and the Ava Luxe one. The Malone Black Vetyver Cafe is out for longevity reasons and that only leaves New Haarlem in the running.

Where does one find Angel Pure Coffee? I've never been able to locate it. New Haarlem is really fantastic. It's expensive, but it's the best I've smelled in that style.

12. boo

boo Senior member

Anybody know how you can tell the vintage M7 from the reformulated? I've had a full bottle for several years now that I never use. I suspect its vintage but I'm not sure.
    The vintage is a solid dark red color. The reformulation bottle has clear glass, but it appears that the inside of the bottle with the juice is painted red.
    I wasn't able to do an actual side-by-side comparison, but when I smelled the new version, it seemed to be pretty much the same. To me, the new one seemed to smell a bit "crisper" on the opening, if that makes any sense, but still smelled great. I suppose it could just have as much to do with differences in relative bottle age, and not just formulation. The reformulation did seem to fade much faster, however, and a spray on my arm seemed to be barely detectable after a few hours. I still haven't done a full wearing of the reformulation to do a full comparison.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Where does one find Angel Pure Coffee? I've never been able to locate it. New Haarlem is really fantastic. It's expensive, but it's the best I've smelled in that style.

if i'm not mistaken, it was a limited release or discontinued or something. They aren't sold at retailers although you might find them at random discounters plus the occasional private seller. I suspect it's exactly the freshly ground/brewed coffee note i'm looking for but it's going to be so hard to get my hands on i'm almost just giving up on it.

oh, and IMO Rochas isn't anywhere near as classy as Haarlem.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The vintage is a solid dark red color. The reformulation bottle has clear glass, but it appears that the inside of the bottle with the juice is painted red.
    Just checked my bottle - its a clear amber glass with a clear amber plastic lid. With the lid on the bottle I can make out the sprayer. That the new style?
    if i'm not mistaken, it was a limited release or discontinued or something. They aren't sold at retailers although you might find them at random discounters plus the occasional private seller. I suspect it's exactly the freshly ground/brewed coffee note i'm looking for but it's going to be so hard to get my hands on i'm almost just giving up on it. oh, and IMO Rochas isn't anywhere near as classy as Haarlem.
    Before they discontinued it my local Nordstrom had the Angel Pure Coffee. Frankly, it wasn't all that special.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just wanted to let you guys know that I started up the split thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...14#post3993814 and have decided to host a split of Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur. If you're interested PM me. And if you decide that you might want to split something in the future, post it up there and see if you get any bites. Who knows?