1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Hermés Un Jardin Sur Le Nil - Perfect for a wet, dewey morning.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

if I own current Guerlain Vetiver, and Sycomore, is there any point in getting Vintage Guerlain Vetiver?

today, L'eau D'Issey. yeah yeah I know, but it's easy to put on and walk out the house wearing...

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The vintage is supposed to be markedly different than the current version.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Bois 1920 La Vaniglia. I haven't been this enthusiastic about a fragrance since I first tried L'Air du Desert Marocain. It's really amazing.

5. giony

giony Senior member

Chanel Bois des Iles EdT today. Creamy floral opening, rests to an oriental coconut on a weak ambery base. Longevity about 2 hours.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vintage Guerlain Vetiver isn't vastly different, but it's different important ways, like the difference between vintage and new Chanel PM. The old stuff is dirtier and develops in more interesting ways over time. To me its worth it, especially because I've always been able to find the vintage stuff for around $50 - $60. If it cost $200 I wouldn't bother (I probably wouldn't buy the new stuff either.)

7. Reinhard00

Reinhard00 Member

Creed Green Irish Tweed

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is this a new version of it, or a new bottle? I haven't had a bottle in a number of years, but "weak" and "poor longevity" were not parts of the equation I remember. I hope that they haven't screwed with it immensely... along with Cuir de Russie, it's one of Chanel's old-school gems.

Balmain de Balmain for some meetings today.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

VC&A Cologne Noire today.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Broke out the Chanel Pour Monsieur today for a slightly-cooler morning.

11. Master-Classter

anyone tried VC&A Midnight in Paris?

12. giony

giony Senior member

It's the Les Exclusifs one, I figured that's why LEs are being sold in 200ml bottles, the watered-down versions.

I had a bottle of EdP and the scent is quite strong like sweet insect spray on top of powdery (vanilla) Middle East note. That was a blind buy.. :facepalm:

13. rach2jlc

That's too bad! :(

Chanel is an odd one; for example, they often mess with the fragrances (or make an entirely different fragrance) and don't really mark the differences. For example, no. 5, no. 19, and Cristalle are quite different in Edt and EdP. So, you buy one thinking it's simply a stronger version of the other, but really it's entirely different. Bandit is another (non chanel) that is entirely different in the concentrations.

historically, the Edts have been closer to the "original" versions, of which of course the parfum is the purest example. Sounds like Chanel is messing with them in the Les Exclusifs or making them lighter. I sniffed VERY briefly the Les Exclusifs of Cuir de russie, another favorite of mine in the old EdT and (especially) parfum, and I remembered thinking it smelled now very fleeting and less substantial. :( But, again, I just sniffed it very briefly so didn't give it a full wearing.

The worst switcheroo in history (IMHO) was in 2000 or so when Givenchy rereleased L'interdit... only it wasn't a rerelease... it was an ENTIRELY different fragrance. It went from one of the classic fruity aldehydes to a weird Bath-and-Body-Works strawberry shampoo smell. It went from Audrey Hepburn class to Lindsay Lohan. Ick. It was promptly discontinued and then they (reformulated) the original and released it as the Mythiques. BUT, at least it bares some resemblance to the original.

Balmain Monsieur today, a wonderful low-cost lemon scent. If you like bois de cedrat or full-on lemon scents, this one is great (and very cheap!)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  14. Master-Classter

so.... bugspray, sounds promising. I hear good reviews, but you no likey?

went back to that store and the vintage guerlain vetiver was gone... did see 90ml tester of Patou Joy EdT for $90.

15. rach2jlc

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  16. L'Incandescent

17. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Just wondering if anyone has impressions on Creed's latest - Royal Oud. I'm liking the note lineup they display on the boutique, but wanted to know some of the members thoughts.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  19. L'Incandescent

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Its actually nice. I have a small spray decant that the sa helped me make and its enjoyable on occasion. I don't know enough about oud's to make an overall judgement, but I wouldn't throw it out.