Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Incense Rose is quite good but not great. Orris is wonderful but was a limited-edition, and now unavailable. Une Chypre Rose, however, is smashingly, unapologetically, old-school brilliant. imho. His new Orange scent (I forget the name) received lukewarm reviews, though.
    Incense Rose was very feminine on me - floral to the max. Need to try out the Une Chypre Rose though. Updates from the past two days as I work my way through the sample bag: Yesterday - ELdO Rein - I couldn't decide if this smelled exactly like L'Artisan's Navegar or Premier Figurer. One minute it was sort of "beach" and the next minute I got a bit of fruit in it. Interesting though probably not a BUY. Today - Etro Ambra - Very lackluster

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, I needed something comfortable: Chanel Antaeus.

3. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Getting into the holiday spirit. Creed Orange Spice

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

ADG You mad?
    Why would we be mad? You're the one who ruined an otherwise perfectly good SOTD by going with the Men's Warehouse of fragrances: a dull, mass-market aquatic as marked by its foul, sour-smelling synthetic citrus as by its overpriced, overhyped ubiquity. Anyway, you'll probably never meet more easy-going, nice folk than fragrance fans, so I doubt you're rather uninspired trolling here will produce the sort of dazzling fireworks that it would elsewhere. Perhaps I might suggest SW&D for Monsieur? Bellodgia (Caron) for me today... carnation and rose with some old-school funk at the base.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

Anyway, you'll probably never meet more easy-going, nice folk than fragrance fans, so I doubt you're rather uninspired trolling here will produce the sort of dazzling fireworks that it would elsewhere. Perhaps I might suggest SW&D for Monsieur?

(...)

Yeah, about that. I recall a few basenotes threads that seemed to have bottles flying at people. [​IMG]

6. boo

boo Senior member

Montale Black Aoud today, pretty potent stuff. To think that there are bottles floating around with extra perfume oil [​IMG]

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Moss Breches today. I've been recommending this to everyone, but I haven't worn it myself since my sample ran out over a year ago. It's even better than I remember! I think it's the patchouli that really makes this scent. That's odd, because in TF scents with Patchouli in the name, there's hardly any patchouli.

Rioni is offering a great deal on this stuff in B&S.

8. Dane

Dane Senior member

Really? [​IMG] How is this? Most of the BN reviews list this as a rose-ish scent. How's it rate on the rose meter? Excellent +1. Have you ever tried his Musk. Very nice. The Uomo and Vetiver generally get good reviews but I didn't really think they were anything special.
    Declaration is an excellent scent...was the industry's first (or very nearly) foray into the wonderful world of woody-ambers (Iso E Super in this case), and brought something as risque as cumin into mainstream men's fragrances. Smelling it now can be tough...kinda simple...but it really set the standard and has been the influence of almost everything "woody" since. It's basically what New West did for aquatics...but not gross. [​IMG] Nahema is rose-o-rama. Tricky to wear. Shalimar, much easier...although I prefer Parfumerie General's Felanilla...almost a butched up, paired down rendition. S-ex for me today.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love Declaration. The cumin in it makes me associate it strongly with Eau d'Hermes, and apparently Elena takes a lot of inspiration from Roudnitska so that makes sense.

Today wearing Derby.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Some new bottles for me this month.
    1. Chanel Sycomore , 2. Mugler Pure Malt, 3. Ava Luxe Cafe Noir , 4. Armani Priv Eau de Jade, 5. Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris

ohhh, cafe noire. now you've got my attention. did you get it from the site direct and which concentration? I really really wanted to try this one, can you let me know what you think when it arrives and also give it a comparison to new haarlem if possible? I'm looking for a strong dark bitter brewed coffee (instead of a mocha/cholocalate/latte thing).
    PdN Balkis today. Dark, jammy raspberry and rose with vanilla emerging in the drydown. I like it, but not as much as I expected. It's just a little too sweet for my taste.
    check out dyptique l'ombre dans l'eau, or perfums delrai paradis for jammy roses if you like that sort of thing
    Does is smell a bit like wood smoke? The fragrance is actually a room spray, but I wear it on my skin.
    I've been looking at that one, does it work as a skin scent? do you spray it on clothes? how long do you find it lasts?
    I was at Macy's today looking for presents and stopped by the fragrance area. I didn't see anything interesting, then saw they had Shalimar. I asked to smell it, and (though it was on a piece of paper) I could envision it working for men. Anyone thoughts?
    yep, totally, but I'd say in light doses. I wear the edT occasionally although I'm always a bit self conscious of smelling like someone's grandma.

today, GIT just cause it's all I have with me [​IMG]

11. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been looking at that one, does it work as a skin scent? do you spray it on clothes? how long do you find it lasts?

I spray it on my chest, like any other scent. It lasts very well but isn't over powering. It's also a lot cheaper than typical Dyptiques.

12. boo

boo Senior member

13. L'Incandescent

ELdO Rien today.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Saks for him today, one if the 3 core scents in my winter rotation.
    Bond, right? There isn't some other Saks for Him that I don't know about, is there?
    ELdO Rien today.
    Good timing. Let me know what you think as I'm curious to see if you catch any of the same comparisons that I did.

15. L'Incandescent

Good timing. Let me know what you think as I'm curious to see if you catch any of the same comparisons that I did.

Wow, I just went back and checked out your description. Rien smells completely different to me! I don't get anything like Premier Figuier at all. I don't get any fruity notes, or anything sweet for that matter. I get a very bitter, unpleasant leather. I certainly will not be buying a bottle of this!