Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Patchouli 24 yet again. I love the initial near-repellent birch tar blast followed by that awesome smokey vanilla. To me it's a comfort scent with a defensive wall of smoke around it. I find it irritates the skin a bit though. Going to try combining another vanilla with one of the darker incense scents and see what kind of results I get. Maybe a light application of Spiriteuse Double Vanille with some Black Tourmaline or Lonestar? Could be disasterous, but we'll see.

when you say smokey vanilla I think of recomending L'Occitane eau des baux, and when you say birch tar and vanilla I think of Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche. you might like either of those.

L'instant last night (quite tenacious since I could still smell it loud and clear this morning) and GIT today.

funny story, last night I was at a party and had to hug a bunch of people, so in my head I'm going 'uhu, aqua di gio, then that guy's got D&G Homme, etc', but then... from like 5 feet away Black Orchid called out to me and I sauntered up and just asked 'I have to ask you, are you wearing black orchid?', which lead to about a 30 minute chat about perfume with a very pretty lady... yay, all that weirdness and socially unacceptably hobbies finally paid off! take that normal people!

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Did you get the digits?

Today - L'Artisan Havana Vanille - The last of my sample, and I REALLY want to like this because its smokey and sweet, but there is just something in it that makes my mind jump right to cloying and sticky. I don't know what it is.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Caron Montaigne Parfum for me today.

Thought it would be a mimosa fest, but I get the ONE dreaded note that my nose cannot abide... BENZOIN! If you hate things like Givenchy Pi or Balenciaga Cristobal PH, it's that oddly sweet, woody, heavy vanilla-ish note (but not Tonka Bean, which I also don't like.)

This one is lush and gorgeous, and if you like Givenchy Pi, you probably would love this. It's like Pi with a class factor of a million added. Plus, of course, imagine Pi in pure parfum concentration. Yow!

Unfortunately, I just hate benzoin... and I'm not a big vanilla fan, either (which this one has in major dosage!)

4. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Yohji Homme,
    Why didn't you like it rach? Is the Perfumed Court the only place to get samples of this? Want to try before I buy
    Today wasn't much of a decision. I've been wanting to wear Egoiste all week, so today I gave in.
    [​IMG]
    funny story, last night I was at a party and had to hug a bunch of people, so in my head I'm going 'uhu, aqua di gio, then that guy's got D&G Homme, etc', but then... from like 5 feet away Black Orchid called out to me and I sauntered up and just asked 'I have to ask you, are you wearing black orchid?', which lead to about a 30 minute chat about perfume with a very pretty lady... yay, all that weirdness and socially unacceptably hobbies finally paid off! take that normal people!
    [​IMG] e: Lempicka PH today.

5. rach2jlc

Why didn't you like it rach?

Is the Perfumed Court the only place to get samples of this? Want to try before I buy
    [​IMG]
    fistbump:

I didn't mean to imply I didn't like it; it was nice enough (liquorice sort of gourmandy), but only that I would never scour the earth in search of it, or pay more than it would have been retail for it. I have no idea what the current price for it is (I always managed to get it through swaps on Basenotes), but it's simply not so amazing that I'd pay a premium to have it on my shelf.

If you like licorice, as a matter of course, try Caron eau de reglisse, which you can get for next to nothing.

6. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Thanks, makes sense. I saw it going on basenotes for $75 for 50ml a while back. This doesnt seem like its too much more than retail, but i dunno.

Yeah, been wanting to get a few more Carons anyway (Pour Homme, Eau Pure) so I might grab that one too.

7. rach2jlc

Thanks, makes sense. I saw it going on basenotes for $75 for 50ml a while back. This doesnt seem like its too much more than retail, but i dunno. Yeah, been wanting to get a few more Carons anyway (Pour Homme, Eau Pure) so I might grab that one too.
    $75 for 50mls isn't so bad; assuming you like the scent (which some hate it!), it's worth it. Caron, too, is a very "love it or hate it" house. As such, though I think (along with Guerlain) they are sort of the "superlative" fragrance houses, it's hard to make a blind buy or unsniffed recommendation. Eaux Pure, Forte, and Fraiche are very "uncaron" scents to me... in that they feel very 'nice.' Easy ones to try first, if you haven't warmed up to other Carons. Also available quite cheaply. From there, ease your way into 3eme Homme, L'anarchiste, and yatagan. Then, something like Bellodgia, L'infini, Tabac Blond, or Poivre. I think you could live without Royal Bain de Caron altogether...

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Parfums de Rosine Twill Rose today.

9. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

yay, all that weirdness and socially unacceptably hobbies finally paid off! take that normal people!

[​IMG]

Will try those two you mentioned.

Not wearing a fragrance yet today, but just cruised through Ross looking for more of those Harajuku Lovers baby things which my gf collects and found a bottle of Bulgari Black for 20 bucks. Was forced to kop. Will apply after workout.

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yohji is nice, but it isn't significantly better (or worse) than Body Kouros of A*Men, and I prefer New Haarlem to all of them (but it's pricier than Yohji). There's also Rochas Man and Lolita Lempicka in the same genre. I sold my bottle of Yohji because I so rarely wore it.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Chanel Pour Monsieur as I attended Mrs. T's law school graduation.

12. Frihed89

Frihed89 Senior member

Whatever the lady prefers. Today, it is Burberry Brit. I had a bottle of the old Woods, which she loved, but finally ran out. Prior to meeting her 15 years ago, its was just Bay Rum.

13. rioni

rioni Senior member

It's Creed Aventus again today

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

15. willpower

willpower Senior member

Fragrance Net is so slow when it comes to processing.
    Of course. They're too busy laughing at your La Nuit De L'Homme order to put it in a box. You gotta be kidding...Guys, come over here! Some pleb just ordered La Nuit De L'Homme ! [​IMG]