• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Jacqueline is a great store! I went there with digital denim once and we chatted with "Mr. Jacqueline." Once he determined that we were genuinely interested, he became somewhat chatty and told us some amusing anecdotes, my favorites of which involved various shortages during the war (that would be WWII), and the usages of perfume for some purposes other the originally intended.

I also got the impression that Mrs. Jacqueline was quite the hottie in her day.
thumbs-up.gif

Today I am trying out Cuir Mauresque. When I smelled it in the jar, I was afraid it was going to be too sweet and cloying, but it turns out to play very nicely. There is just a hint of spicy orange overlaying a soft leather.

Yes, I talked with him on numerous occasions, and he talked about he used to visit Hubert de Givenchy in France, and also how his store used to be located near the old I.Magnin building, and Neiman Marcus was actively competing with the shop for business. Apparently there were complaints.

An interesting use of perfume I've read about was drinking it in lieu of alcohol. I'm sure hangovers smelled better there.

Originally Posted by Thomas
I'd read about this (after your post) and had heard it was in a similar vein as Yatagan, sans the meatiness. Is that true?

My scent du jour is John Varvatos. Pleasant and well-balanced. Too bad spring has already sprung around here.

It's not quite as light as Yatagan, or as liquid-smelling if that makes sense. It's quite a heavy, slightly unwholesome scent.

Originally Posted by Maharlika
Thanks for the info. Your description of it is very appealing since my olfactory taste tend to go into that direction of dry, woody scents. Longevity is a big factor when I buy fragrances . I'll have to look for it locally here in L.A. I'll check out Jacqueline next time I visit the City.

I wouldn't quite describe it as dry, but it's slightly woody. As far as I know, it seems only available in SF.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What scent do you wear for a root canal? Interesting question, given my unbridled fear of all things dental.

I had thought to wear Ungaro III but scratched it for Monsieur de Givenchy, a slightly more powdery version of Eau Sauvage. It did the trick, or maybe that was the 8 shots of novacaine that have numbed my jaw, ear, and temple.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire by Dominique Ropoin. Feeling woody today.
laugh.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
An interesting use of perfume I've read about was drinking it in lieu of alcohol. I'm sure hangovers smelled better there...

That was one. He also said that when the pipes were frozen in winter, and there was no running water or fuel to burn to melt ice for washing, they would wash with eau de cologne before going to school in the morning.

Originally Posted by Thomas
...maybe that was the 8 shots of novacaine that have numbed my jaw, ear, and temple.

I hope you have something for when the novocaine wears off.
cry.gif

Originally Posted by Maharlika
... Feeling woody today.
laugh.gif

Keep that thing away from me!

Today I am wearing Caron En Avion; I love this stuff. It is brutal and beautiful; fuel, oranges, roses, leather and finally oakmoss. One of the boldest scents I've ever tried. I may have to buy a bottle when my sample runs out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
(...)

I hope you have something for when the novocaine wears off.
cry.gif

(...)

Today I am wearing Caron En Avion; I love this stuff. It is brutal and beautiful; fuel, oranges, roses, leather and finally oakmoss. One of the boldest scents I've ever tried. I may have to buy a bottle when my sample runs out.

Believe it don't the Advil is managing it all nicely. I almost forgot to take a dose earlier, no problems thus far.

En Avion. A Caron urn fragrance. Why does this not surprise me? Next week you'll be wearing Coco's own bottle of No. 19. It does sound tempting, though.

tangerine

Reaction score
If I can find it, I will wear it!

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was feeling like very something very masculine today. Annick Goutal Eau de Fier fit the bill.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, damp, foggy morning. Ungaro III - cool, damp, dark roses.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior Homme today!!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Burt's Bees Bay Rum. The citrus and clove have receded and the bay leaf / cedar note is shining though. Really nice.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montale's Blue Amber

tangerine

Reaction score
Cuir Mauresque again. This is really impressing me. Souper, Barneys has CdG and I am sure there are other places as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads