Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Jacqueline is a great store! I went there with digital denim once and we chatted with "Mr. Jacqueline." Once he determined that we were genuinely interested, he became somewhat chatty and told us some amusing anecdotes, my favorites of which involved various shortages during the war (that would be WWII), and the usages of perfume for some purposes other the originally intended.

I also got the impression that Mrs. Jacqueline was quite the hottie in her day. [​IMG]

Today I am trying out Cuir Mauresque. When I smelled it in the jar, I was afraid it was going to be too sweet and cloying, but it turns out to play very nicely. There is just a hint of spicy orange overlaying a soft leather.

Yes, I talked with him on numerous occasions, and he talked about he used to visit Hubert de Givenchy in France, and also how his store used to be located near the old I.Magnin building, and Neiman Marcus was actively competing with the shop for business. Apparently there were complaints.

An interesting use of perfume I've read about was drinking it in lieu of alcohol. I'm sure hangovers smelled better there.

I'd read about this (after your post) and had heard it was in a similar vein as Yatagan, sans the meatiness. Is that true?

My scent du jour is John Varvatos. Pleasant and well-balanced. Too bad spring has already sprung around here.

It's not quite as light as Yatagan, or as liquid-smelling if that makes sense. It's quite a heavy, slightly unwholesome scent.

Thanks for the info. Your description of it is very appealing since my olfactory taste tend to go into that direction of dry, woody scents. Longevity is a big factor when I buy fragrances . I'll have to look for it locally here in L.A. I'll check out Jacqueline next time I visit the City.

I wouldn't quite describe it as dry, but it's slightly woody. As far as I know, it seems only available in SF.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

What scent do you wear for a root canal? Interesting question, given my unbridled fear of all things dental.

I had thought to wear Ungaro III but scratched it for Monsieur de Givenchy, a slightly more powdery version of Eau Sauvage. It did the trick, or maybe that was the 8 shots of novacaine that have numbed my jaw, ear, and temple.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire by Dominique Ropoin. Feeling woody today. [​IMG]

4. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

An interesting use of perfume I've read about was drinking it in lieu of alcohol. I'm sure hangovers smelled better there...

That was one. He also said that when the pipes were frozen in winter, and there was no running water or fuel to burn to melt ice for washing, they would wash with eau de cologne before going to school in the morning.

...maybe that was the 8 shots of novacaine that have numbed my jaw, ear, and temple.

I hope you have something for when the novocaine wears off. [​IMG]

... Feeling woody today. [​IMG]

Keep that thing away from me!

Today I am wearing Caron En Avion; I love this stuff. It is brutal and beautiful; fuel, oranges, roses, leather and finally oakmoss. One of the boldest scents I've ever tried. I may have to buy a bottle when my sample runs out.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)

I hope you have something for when the novocaine wears off. [​IMG]

(...)

Today I am wearing Caron En Avion; I love this stuff. It is brutal and beautiful; fuel, oranges, roses, leather and finally oakmoss. One of the boldest scents I've ever tried. I may have to buy a bottle when my sample runs out.

Believe it don't the Advil is managing it all nicely. I almost forgot to take a dose earlier, no problems thus far.

En Avion. A Caron urn fragrance. Why does this not surprise me? Next week you'll be wearing Coco's own bottle of No. 19. It does sound tempting, though.

6. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

If I can find it, I will wear it!

7. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Was feeling like very something very masculine today. Annick Goutal Eau de Fier fit the bill.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Cool, damp, foggy morning. Ungaro III - cool, damp, dark roses.

9. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Dior Homme today!!

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Grafton from Truefitt & Hill.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Burt's Bees Bay Rum. The citrus and clove have receded and the bay leaf / cedar note is shining though. Really nice.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I got a few cdg sample scents in the mail. I'll probably try one of them out tomorrow night when i go out. Just from smelling the little vial, i really liked sequoia and white.

13. Souper

Souper Senior member

let me know how the CDG scents are. I've heard quite a few raves about various CDG scents; don't know where in NYC i can sample.

14. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

Montale's Blue Amber

15. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

Cuir Mauresque again. This is really impressing me. Souper, Barneys has CdG and I am sure there are other places as well.