Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Thoughts on Encre Noire? I'm thinking of blindly buying an almost new one for 35 bucks, worth it?
    Encre Noire isn't one of those generic fragrances that's designed to appeal to nearly everyone. It's very distinctive--very dark, earthy, and masculine. The vetiver note is very pronounced. And as the name suggests, it's also inky. If this would serve as your daily fragrance, I'd probably not buy it blind. But if you just want to add an interesting, distinctive fragrance to your lineup, I'd say go for it. $35 isn't the greatest deal in history, but it's not bad either.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Chanel Antaeus for a chilly Sunday morning.

FWIW, I've been tempted to sample Encre Noir but never quite got around to it.

3. Chace

Chace Active Member

Encre Noire isn't one of those generic fragrances that's designed to appeal to nearly everyone. It's very distinctive--very dark, earthy, and masculine. The vetiver note is very pronounced. And as the name suggests, it's also inky. If this would serve as your daily fragrance, I'd probably not buy it blind. But if you just want to add an interesting, distinctive fragrance to your lineup, I'd say go for it. $35 isn't the greatest deal in history, but it's not bad either.
    I bought Encre Noir as a blind buy strictly on the advice of the people over at Basenotes. I wanted something fresh that was still distinctive. This is a great winter fragrance IMO.

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Givenchy Pi for this dreadfully cold Sunday.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Trying out the new Diptyque Eau Duelle - very vanilla at the outset

6. L'Incandescent

Eau Parfumee au The Vert

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Aqua Di Parma for an overcast day in the ACT, and yes it will probably rain.(again)

8. willpower

willpower Senior member

'Twas a day for Bois du Portugal. It's so nice 8 hours later, unfortunately the first 8 hours are loud and powdery.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Mr. Blass today. Wanted to let some time pass before jumping in again.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I'm going to be purchasing a new batch of samples soon, and Womanity was one of them I was considering. A lot of reviews mention the big sweet fig note. Is it similar at all to L'Artisan Premier Figuier?
    I'd say it's an interesting one but I'm still on the fence about how wearable it is, even for women actually. At first I did get the fig notes, but now the third time smelling it I'm getting much more of a meaty salty set of notes. It's almost like an aquatic meets light floral of sorts. I wouldn't really compare it to any other fig frag at all. I think it's worth trying, but I'm not sold on the buying.
    It didn't for me at the first few wearings, but it's a grower.
    Hmm, I guess we'll see. I've tried it twice now and so far I'm not getting much. Is it comparable to Riverside Drive? Today it's snowing like mad. I'd normally go warm but whatever, Rive Gauche PH just cause I felt like it.

11. L'Incandescent

Putain des Palaces today. As with some of the other ELdO's, this is growing on me the more I wear it. I'm finding the sweaty/animalic notes more prominent this time, which is a good thing, for me at least. The women's makeup note (the powdery stuff--foundation?) is there too, along with a sweetness that I have a hard time placing, but that's at least a little bit reminiscent of rice pudding.

I went ahead and bought a pretty large sample of Womanity. I'm excited to try it.

12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

13. Dane

Dane Senior member

I want to try them but they're so fucking expensive that its almost not even worth it. $300 for a 3.4oz is just too rich for my blood.

Thanks

I tried the Divine and Idole before and liked them both but have since forgotten what they smell like. I'll report back once they come in. If I like the Idole we can work up a split.

Thanks for the suggestions Dane. Always appreciated. Willpower recommended the Antico Caruso a while back. The Mark Birley gets good reviews. What didn't you like about it?

Again, they all sound great, but they're so damn expensive its just not worth it. Maybe I'll splurge for a sample or two.

I found the Mark Birley rather...acrid. Sour, bitter, but not in a good way. Apparently Freddy Malle was part of the creative process though, so thats a good thing. Worth trying I guess, but not for me.

Wearing the Caldey Island Lavender (from Thomas)...good for headache-y days.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Mr. Blass today. Wanted to let some time pass before jumping in again.
    How you liking it so far?
    I found the Mark Birley rather...acrid. Sour, bitter, but not in a good way. Apparently Freddy Malle was part of the creative process though, so thats a good thing. Worth trying I guess, but not for me. Wearing the Caldey Island Lavender (from Thomas)...good for headache-y days.
    Interesting. Speaking of FM, their scents are now available at Aedes. I haven't inquired about samples yet but I hope they're going to be under the 7 for $15 program. If so it'll be a bargain.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

How you liking it so far?

(...)

Well, I like it as a kind of bastard love child between Cuiron and Rocabar. It disappears a little too easily, and the atomizer kinda annoys me in that it diffuses the scent too much: More into the air, less on me. But I quite like it once you take those factors out of the equation.