Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

ooh, nice one.

I really like it. A great recommendation from "L'Incandescent".

Today Montale Black Oud just arrived along with some free samples from Perfumed Court (those ladies are really nice).

2. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

What's your impression of the Japon Noir?
    Sorry, didn't see this when I wrote the last post! I like it, but I've yet to (or - more likely - don't know how to) pick apart it's ingredients in my head. 'It smells good on my skin', is as far as I've gotten. [​IMG]

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances?

Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.

4. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances?

Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.

This is how I'm doing it. Only I bought a bunch of 5 and 8 ml bottles instead of small ones. [​IMG]

Oh well, I'm set for awhile.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think all the stores let you sample, but I'd make a sort of wish-list beforehand, because you're going to want to sample on skin - and let it rest a while - before plunking down the lucre. You'll want to pare it back to a few select ones, because it's hard to keep track of what you put where. I do know of a few folks who test in various spots (wrists, backs of hands, elbows, etc) and then write on those areas so they don't forget what it was. If you're headed to NYC, there's a ton of places that will let you sample and sometimes will give you samples to take with you.

As for how I try scents... I either cadge/swap a sample from someone, swap for a bottle, or sometimes I just buy blind if the price is reasonable and it has a good rep. If a scent has a good rep and is popular, I expect to be able to swap it away for something else without a lot of hassle or a major loss.

That classic Opium is potent shit.

It certainly is.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

That's surprisingly expensive. My last order from The Perfumed Court was for ten 1 ml samples and one 1.5 ml. The total with shipping was $57. Of course that's still a lot of money per ml, but I'm willing to pay for the opportunity to sample fragrances that would otherwise be very difficult to acquire.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm about to place an order for a bunch of 1ml samples from ThePerfumedCourt. My list is Moss Breches, AdP Colonia Intensa, Dans tes Bras, Tobacco Vanille and 2.5ml of Grey Vetiver, since I know I already like that. It seems rather expensive (40 bucks), considering the amount of fragrance you get. Is this how you all try fragrances? Also, do TF stores allow you to smell their fragrances? I might be headed up to NYC for a day of SF fun soon.
    TF will let you sample to your heart's content. They may not have bottles of moss breches though since its been discontinued. That TPC order seems abnormally high. Check eBay and a few of the other online sources. Hell, samples from LuckyScent are only $3 a pop for most of them. Free shipping with code MUA.

8. kopiluwak98

kopiluwak98 Member

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, another entry in the log of things I've not worn lately: Dunhill for Men.

10. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Rose 31 today. I'm liking this more and more. I get the strange mental image of a rose behind a cloud of flies when I smell it. There is a slightly-off spiciness that reminds me of carrion in there somewhere. Very strange, and imminently sniff-able.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. willpower

willpower Senior member

Rose 31 on a cool and blustery day in LA. Great combo for the 5 times a year this happens.

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

[​IMG]

I think this bottle is attractive.

14. Hoodyy

Hoodyy Active Member

I'm a student and so can't afford the most expensive scents..

I like Jake from HollisterCo. It is their cheapest aftershave but I think it smells extremely nice. I get a fair few compliments from the ladies when wearing it and for some reason not everyone is using it - perhaps because they think it's cheap or whatever?

Anywho, I like it - for the smell - the low price tag is just a bonus!

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

strangely it was 80 degrees yesterday but I didn't wear anything, lots of work to do.

Today though - still balmy so I went with Guerlain Homme. I think that the fact that it's a Guerlain only adds to the disappointment: I wanted more substance than this.