Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I suggest you try Aramis 900 or Aromatics Elixir. They have prominent rose note but there's a lot of other stuff going on. Green, sophisticated, old fashioned in a good way.

Thanks, I'll add these to the list. Aromatics, is that Clinique?

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes - Bernarnd Chant is the perfumer. He did Azuree and Aramis and several of those 60's and 70's Lauder scents. I haven't actually tried Aromatics - I just know that it's supposedly basically the same as 900 but an edp rather than and edt. Aramis 900 in an edt (or is it edc?) is plenty strong enough for me, so AE might end up being too perfumey.

3. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

I got my first 'taste' of a non-traditional scent yesterday in the form of Secretions Magnifiques. I like to think of myself as a bit of a connoisseur of the obscure and unusual so I was disappointed to find that my initial reaction on smelling this potent concoction was to quite literally recoil in disgust. Throughout the day the 'ghost' of the scent would catch my nostrils and I would feel repulsed. Except on two occaissions where it smelled strangely pleasant. Interesting and powerful in a scary magickal potion sort of way. I feel like I need to lock it away until the right moment when it should be summoned. Like 'accidentally' spilling 2.5 ml in a despised co-workers gym bag. [​IMG]

I was hoping for a sort of 'samurai on the field of battle, covered with sweat and bits of gore' type of smell. Instead I'm reminded of babies and open wounds. A fetid yellow smell with a secret pleasant heart.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either.

EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either. EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!
    Maybe she just wants it in another place. Not every woman will like having your Secretions Magnifiques all over her body. Or her face.

6. L'Incandescent

Maybe she just wants it in another place. Not every woman will like having your Secretions Magnifiques all over her body. Or her face.

I think you may have just invented a brand new fetish: spraying Secretions Magnifiques onto or into all the parts of the body where Secretions Magnifiques shouldn't naturally go.

7. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either.

EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am brand-new to the world of fragrances (barring buying random colognes in the past on female recommendation), so my olfactory vocabulary is probably limited.

I think the smell I'm getting is like regurgitated milk. Which reminds me of babies. Rather disturbing when you think of the other smells. [​IMG]

Rose 31 for me today. I'm only smelling the dirty rose-ness so far. Will have to wear it for awhile to see if anything else develops in it.

8. L'Incandescent

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am brand-new to the world of fragrances (barring buying random colognes in the past on female recommendation), so my olfactory vocabulary is probably limited.

I think the smell I'm getting is like regurgitated milk. Which reminds me of babies. Rather disturbing when you think of the other smells. [​IMG]

Rose 31 for me today. I'm only smelling the dirty rose-ness so far. Will have to wear it for awhile to see if anything else develops in it.

A-ha. I have only a miniscule amount of experience with babies, so it never occurred to me to associate them with that sour milk note.

I expect that the Rose 31 will dry down into a strong sandalwood. To me, it's almost the Platonic form of a masculine scent.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

To me, it's almost the Platonic form of a masculine scent.
    How dare you, sir. I'd agree with you if you were right... [​IMG] Aventus, again-tus

10. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

My wife tells me that Lacoste will send you a sample of a few of their scents if you go to their website. Who knows if this is a lot or a little.

And no, I don't work for the company or get a commission.

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I treated myself today to a 100ml of Aqua di Parma Colonia. (15% off at Holt Renfrew)

I sort of went in expecting to like CI (for some reason) but walked out with the classic original.

As I understand it, this one is famous for it's dynamic drydown. Halfway through day one, I can already appreciate this. It doesn't seem like anything "new" to me however - just a solid, everyday EdC. Today it seemed to evolve from Clinique Happy to Terre d'Hermes to Rive Gauche(!) to Dior Homme. My nose isn't trained to latch on to the florals very well (besides obvious rose notes). I'm not sure if the musky woods are coming yet. We'll see I suppose.

12. willpower

willpower Senior member

I treated myself today to a 100ml of Aqua di Parma Colonia. (15% off at Holt Renfrew)

I sort of went in expecting to like CI (for some reason) but walked out with the classic original.

As I understand it, this one is famous for it's dynamic drydown. Halfway through day one, I can already appreciate this. It doesn't seem like anything "new" to me however - just a solid, everyday EdC. Today it seemed to evolve from Clinique Happy to Terre d'Hermes to Rive Gauche(!) to Dior Homme. My nose isn't trained to latch on to the florals very well (besides obvious rose notes). I'm not sure if the musky woods are coming yet. We'll see I suppose.

Classic scent. Almost 100 years old and still going strong.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I treated myself today to a 100ml of Aqua di Parma Colonia. (15% off at Holt Renfrew) I sort of went in expecting to like CI (for some reason) but walked out with the classic original. As I understand it, this one is famous for it's dynamic drydown. Halfway through day one, I can already appreciate this. It doesn't seem like anything "new" to me however - just a solid, everyday EdC. Today it seemed to evolve from Clinique Happy to Terre d'Hermes to Rive Gauche(!) to Dior Homme. My nose isn't trained to latch on to the florals very well (besides obvious rose notes). I'm not sure if the musky woods are coming yet. We'll see I suppose.
    That's basically how I found the original but it was too fleeting for me to ever enjoy. 1 or 2 hours and it was gone. That's why I ended up with the intensia. The scent is pretty much the same but its got a lot more longevity. Enjoy the new bottle. If you end up not wanting I'm sure you'll be able to sell it off relatively easily.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yesterday - SMN Musk. This was surprising. A VERY powdery musk scent, almost feminine in its appearance, but it straddles that line quite nicely. If I were into the powdery scents I'd snap this up in a heartbeat. As it is, I might keep an eye out for a decant.

Today - SMN Eva - Very classic kind of Spanish gentleman scent. Not overpowering, just light and fresh. I kind of like it but its nothing too special.

So far the Santa Maria Novella scents have been a disappointment.

15. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

oh yeah
    [​IMG]