Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Took out one of my fall faves - YSL M7.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Chanel No. 5 (EdP).

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Goutal Sables on the left hand (rum, maple syrup, honey, etc. Too sweet and single-noted for me, but "interesting"), and Divine - Homme Sage on the right (I might get this one).

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Divine - Homme Sage on the right (I might get this one).
    I really liked this in the small sample that I bought. I'm going to have to find a split somewhere because I'd only be able to use it for a month or two out of the year. Yesterday and today I had Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I really remember liking this one but its only been meh on me the last two days. Very stinky green and the longevity has been hit and miss.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yesterday I think it was Live Jazz to get me through a long day of cooking, hosting, and cleaning.

Today though, Chanel Egoiste.

6. Master-Classter

Saks for Him today
    I've got a sample of that one and looking for the right time to wear it. Bond's just got sooo many in their lineup but a few stick out.

Today I can still smell Sables...

7. L'Incandescent

Elixir des Merveilles today. It's been a little over a year since I've worn this. As with Noir de Noir, I'd forgotten how much I liked it. It's perfect for fall.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Interesting. Where'd you come by it? Barney's?

Fishbone sent me a sample randomly. I loved it, and the only place I could buy it was Luckyscent.

9. Mr_Incognito

Mr_Incognito Senior member

Hello Friends,
    I am looking for a rose fragrance and cannot pick between Montale Black Aoud & Serge Lutens Sa MajestÃ[​IMG] la Rose, Could you please elaborate on these two fragrances based on your experience, it would be much appreciated.Thanks.

10. L'Incandescent

Hello Friends,
    I am looking for a rose fragrance and cannot pick between Montale Black Aoud & Serge Lutens Sa MajestÃ[​IMG] la Rose, Could you please elaborate on these two fragrances based on your experience, it would be much appreciated.Thanks.

There are some very knowledgeable people here who've been carrying on a long conversation about rose fragrances, so I think you're going to get some good feedback.

Here's my two cents: the two fragrances you're choosing between are very, very different. Sa Majeste la Rose is absolutely beautiful. Lots of fragrances feature rose notes, but I don't know of a fragrance that's a more straightforward rose. It's very bright (though just a little bit less bright that Malle's Une Rose) and very bold. This is not a demure rose at all--not an old-lady rose. If you really love rose, then this is the scent for you. On the other hand, it is quite feminine. If that would make you feel self-conscious, then maybe Sa Majeste isn't for you.

The most salient fact about Montale Black Aoud, at least for me, is that it's an aoud. If you're not a fan of aoud, then I don't think you'll like this, even if you love roses. I myself am not a great fan of aoud--it smells too medicinal to me. But it is one of those fragrances that I can recognize as very well crafted, even if I don't particularly enjoy it. If you do like aoud, though, then this is probably a very good option. Lots of people here really like this fragrance. It's much darker than Sa Majeste, and I would say much more masculine.

Longevity for both of these fragrances is very good. A bit more sillage on Sa Majeste, I think.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ormonde Man today. Strong chocolate note and then it died down into something plasticky. Weird.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

SL Boxeuses today: the decant finally arrived, and I'm wearing it.

Well, it's a Russian leather but not really as harsh as I'd expect. Kind of a cross between Chanel CdR, Cuiron, and S-ex. It's good and I smell myself pretty regularly, but I'm not sure how much of that stems more from the newness and anticipation.

13. Master-Classter

Body Kouros on the left wrist, Rochas Man on the right. I think they both share some sort of anise, eucalyptus, liquorice note. TBH I can't say I really like either, although I understand why they're both popular.

14. L'Incandescent

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow.