• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a decant here but have only used it once. I'll give it a shot (or 6) in the next couple of days and let you know what I think if you want

DenimDan

Reaction score
It was a warm pool day today so I decided to wear Byredo Green.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm staring at my samples/decants of Givenchy Vetiver, MPG Route de Vetiver, Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, and Chanel Sycomore, Lalique Encre Noire and Thierry Mugler Cologne... plus I already have a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver... My intuition is telling me Sycomore will be a nice compliment to my Guerlain bottle but at the price I may just settle for Encre Noire.

Thoughts? (I haven't honestly tested them all yet )

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I'm staring at my samples/decants of Givenchy Vetiver, MPG Route de Vetiver, Creed Original Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, and Chanel Sycomore, Lalique Encre Noire and Thierry Mugler Cologne... plus I already have a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver... My intuition is telling me Sycomore will be a nice compliment to my Guerlain bottle but at the price I may just settle for Encre Noire.

Thoughts? (I haven't honestly tested them all yet )

I'd go with Encre Noire. For the price you simply can't beat it. Heard nice things about sycomore but I just googled the price and I am like
laugh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well it's basically $1/ml, not too bad, but it only comes in a 200ml bottle for some crazy reason... (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, please?!)

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Yes. It is a great nutty vetiver. Very rich and luxurious smelling, the only reason I didn't buy a full bottle is because I have Encre Noire. But I'm still considering getting one coz its very unique.

which do you like better among the 2? i keep buying dark/heavy frags not suitable for the weather.
laugh.gif
vetiver seems like a grown up summer option. is encre noire really unsuitable for hot weather?

sycomore was in the guide top 10 best splurges (?) if i remember correctly. among those i'd like to try derby though since i have difficulty finding a wood i like.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaiserkarl
which do you like better among the 2? i keep buying dark/heavy frags not suitable for the weather.
laugh.gif
vetiver seems like a grown up summer option. is encre noire really unsuitable for hot weather?

sycomore was in the guide top 10 best splurges (?) if i remember correctly. among those i'd like to try derby though since i have difficulty finding a wood i like.

Both are thick and resinous but my preference is Encre Noire because it has a cannabis vibe to it. Givenchy vetyver is more of a refined and grown up scent. I'd suggest you sample both and if you want suggestion for a good summer vetiver, try CDG vetiveru.

@master-classer. I think they only make them in 200ml bottles but I'm never buying that size of anything. I don't even know how I am going to finish my 18 bottles.

boo

Reaction score
Riverside Drive today.

This Sycomore discussion has really piqued my interest, and I think I'll swing by Saks sometime over the next couple days to check it out. Any other suggestions from the Les Exclusifs line I should check out? Coromandel seems to be be the next most discussed on BN.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
^bois des isles and cuir de russie.

Givenchy vetyver is more of a refined and grown up scent.
ah well then it's not for me then.
laugh.gif
thanks! i will go encre noire. i get cannabis too from guerlain but the last time i tried it it seemed more fresh and light. they must have reformulated it. the frosted one seemd lighter the one in a similar glass bottle like habit rouge seemed more tobacco and cannabis.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Well it's basically $1/ml, not too bad, but it only comes in a 200ml bottle for some crazy reason... (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, please?!)

Nope, you're not wrong. Sycomore is quite good and deceptively sheer, and it's purely a marketing choice on Chanel's part. I have to admit, Chanel knows how to differentiate their products when they decide to. And they have few clunkers in their line-up, which is likewise rare. Believe it or don't their Cologne comes in an even larger bottle - and they're not alone in this, Guerlain has a 500ml 'bee' bottle of Wasser's Cologne du Parfumeur. Caron offers a 750ml bottle of Pour Une Homme, and a number of manufacturers offer full liters of scents, even the parfums. That, though, tends to be a lifetime commitment.

FWIW, bottle splits of the Exclusifs tend to not be too hard to find. I'm waiting on a split of Cuir de Russie right now.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh...today: New West.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads