• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advent
Doblis.
(always)

no kidding. I know people who would give up nonessential body parts to get their hands on some.

Funny enough, signoricci lasted easily into the late evening which is unusual for a light lemony scent. Today, though - Guerlain Vetiver.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired after reading Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent, I went smelling this afternoon, and got depressed. We only have the big chain stores nearby --- Macys, Sephora, Nordstrom --- so I got to smell the mainstream stuff, and most of it is pretty awful or simplistic. Worst thing I smelled was Clinique Happy for Men. It was like an orange popsicle. Best thing was Shalimar and Guerlain Vetiver. Bulgari Black has intrigued me for a long time, but I'm not sure an intellectual smell is a good thing (or a bad thing). Everything else was simple, a bad copy of something else, or some kind of cliche.

Time to visit Scent Bar in LA.

Choices for tonight (a benefit event for the ballet company): Dior Homme or perhaps something more subversive like Angel.

--Andre

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wearing Jardin Apres La Mousson today, which is not at all harsh but at least a little bit interesting.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Inspired after reading Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent, I went smelling this afternoon, and got depressed. We only have the big chain stores nearby --- Macys, Sephora, Nordstrom --- so I got to smell the mainstream stuff, and most of it is pretty awful or simplistic. Worst thing I smelled was Clinique Happy for Men. It was like an orange popsicle. Best thing was Shalimar and Guerlain Vetiver. Bulgari Black has intrigued me for a long time, but I'm not sure an intellectual smell is a good thing (or a bad thing). Everything else was simple, a bad copy of something else, or some kind of cliche.

Time to visit Scent Bar in LA.

Choices for tonight (a benefit event for the ballet company): Dior Homme or perhaps something more subversive like Angel.

--Andre

Also visit Le Labo and Santa Maria Novella, both a ten minute walk from the Scent Bar

boo

Reaction score
Bond Andy Warhol Montauk yesterday. Opens with grapefruit and evolves into a creamy citrus. Not exciting enough to be FBW, but it does seem to be perfect for a lazy Sunday stroll along the boardwalk with cargo shorts and flip-flops (or I'm just a sucker for marketing). Does seem to lean a bit feminine, though I find that to be the case for all of the Andy Warhols.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Also visit Le Labo and Santa Maria Novella, both a ten minute walk from the Scent Bar

Thanks! Will add those to the list, too.

--Andre

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jules today. I'm working my way through a decant and I'd like to get my hands on a bottle. Is this still in production? Trussardi Uomo is a pretty close approximation, but it lacks the green quality of the Dior scent. I used to hate this style - which I think of as animalistic soapy fougere - but it's really grown on me.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gendarme. Yeah, I know. I get a lot of compliments on it, even when I can't smell it on me.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Jules today. I'm working my way through a decant and I'd like to get my hands on a bottle. Is this still in production? Trussardi Uomo is a pretty close approximation, but it lacks the green quality of the Dior scent. I used to hate this style - which I think of as animalistic soapy fougere - but it's really grown on me.

If it is, it's a bear to get hold of. I can't recall whether you mentioned having tried this, but have you tried Lauder for Men? I know that's still widely available and shouldn't be too far from Jules.

Today, I wasn't sure what to wear, go I grabbed L'Instant and ran with it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eau de Lalique... my favorite scent for summer. Fresh and clean, but with a hint of odd niftiness that I really quite enjoy and that takes it far beyond the normal "citrus/fresh" summer scent.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
If it is, it's a bear to get hold of. I can't recall whether you mentioned having tried this, but have you tried Lauder for Men? I know that's still widely available and shouldn't be too far from Jules.

Thanks for the tip. After I posted yesterday I actually read reviews on Basenotes and saw some comparisons to Lauder for Men. I love the Aramis line so I expect Lauder to be of similar quality. I'll probably pick up a bottle from ebay or the downtown fragrance district.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rose Poivree today. I'm picking up a tangy note in the base, a little bit like dried strawberries, that I've never noticed before in this. I'm liking it a lot, even more than I usually like this fragrance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Thanks for the tip. After I posted yesterday I actually read reviews on Basenotes and saw some comparisons to Lauder for Men. I love the Aramis line so I expect Lauder to be of similar quality. I'll probably pick up a bottle from ebay or the downtown fragrance district.

I know that Macy's generally has testers on the Lauder counter. Although I would recommend you spray lightly and give it an hour before making a decision. When I bought my bottle, I sprayed it on in the store and by the time I got to the car, I was mortified and wondered how I would face my co-workers. Eventually it became (mildly) presentable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads