• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Testing C&S No. 88 again today. The opening is wonderful, but the development is considerably less good. It doesn't smell bad, but it loses everything that's so distinctive and interesting about the beginning.
I ordered the sample pack from them and this was one of the standouts that I sniffed briefly and said "oh", nice stuff, can't wait to try it, and the black bottle is kinda, well, sexy, if I may say. But as you noted, I have a feeling the beautiful opening will be rather short lasted and go nowhere from there. Nice as a splash, but I need frags to earn their keep before going full bottle. Another "nice, but not good enough" frag. maybe if I had 50 bottles I'd throw it in there, but at 20-30, it's questionable.

boo

Reaction score
Bond Riverside Drive today. Just going off a decant for now, but plan on a bottle in the next month.

Got a few samples from luckyscent (tester vials on arm, not full wearings):

Six Scents Urban Tropicalia: Juicy tropical fruit. I like it, but I'm concerned on versatility. Great for casual wear. Would be great while vacationing in the Bahamas or something. I called at 4 or 5 NYC stores on the six-scents website listed as retailers, but only found one that actually has the line (Henri Bendel). Must not have done very well.

Six Scents Illicit Sex: How can you resist a name like that? Got sort of a peppery, sweaty vibe from it. A gentler version of the Kouros opening before the urinal cake sets in. I'd love to try this further, but I think it's just the name and images that it conjures up that attracts me. If it were called Joe's Pepper Sweat Cologne, I probably wouldn't be interested.

CdG Sequoia: Goes on a bit boozy, but then dries out and literally smells like redwood (duh). I enjoy smelling it, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like it. I'll experiment with this later, perhaps when the weather cools a bit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wearing a sample of Bond No. 9 West Broadway. As much as I dislike the whole idea of Bond No.9 and their pricing, I have to say this is a good scent. Not 'buy-a-bottle-at-retail-price' good, but appealing, direct, and solid.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
CdG Sequoia: Goes on a bit boozy, but then dries out and literally smells like redwood (duh). I enjoy smelling it, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like it. I'll experiment with this later, perhaps when the weather cools a bit.

I've tried Sequoia a few times. It is a really nice smell, just like the redwood forest in NorCal. I find this one to be a bit linear, though. Even so, sometimes it's fun to just kick it and smell like a tree.

Today: I think I am going to rock some PdN New York.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer Palisander

today, it's cold and rainy so it's Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla to warm me up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today: Aramis New West.

BTW, the current New West doesn't seem as good.

boo

Reaction score
Bleecker St today, my first choice for a rainy day.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Wearing a sample of Bond No. 9 West Broadway. As much as I dislike the whole idea of Bond No.9 and their pricing, I have to say this is a good scent. Not 'buy-a-bottle-at-retail-price' good, but appealing, direct, and solid.

I'll have to try that one. I haven't gotten through most of the "unisex" scents yet.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I prefer Palisander
Inspired me to re-sample Palisander last night. I get a nice peppery woodsy smelly that goes on light. Very pleasant, but does not seem to have enough attitude for me to get more than my sample vial. Today I am going to try Diptyque's Tam Dao as I work from home. EDIT: From Tam Dao, I get a buttery, unfinished woodsy smell, a little sawdust. Not sure what the fuss about for this one.

Dane

Reaction score
^^ Not much point in shopping for a decent sandalwood these days. Once upon a time Palisander was a curry-inspired take on Bois des Iles, and Tam Dao was a milky, minimalist sandalwood...now they smell of half-ass Lutens and Home Depot, respectively.

Bois des Iles is the only sandalwood still worth smelling...and it's a pale imitation of what it once was. Still nice though.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing L'Artisan Al Oud today. I am sure the funky animalic smell caused the stares I received in the elevator today.
biggrin.gif
T

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Ford Extreme today.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
EDIT: From Tam Dao, I get a buttery, unfinished woodsy smell, a little sawdust. Not sure what the fuss about for this one.
Originally Posted by Dane
^^ Not much point in shopping for a decent sandalwood these days. Once upon a time Palisander was a curry-inspired take on Bois des Iles, and Tam Dao was a milky, minimalist sandalwood...now they smell of half-ass Lutens and Home Depot, respectively.
Bois des Iles is the only sandalwood still worth smelling...and it's a pale imitation of what it once was. Still nice though.

I've got a few ml of MPG Santal Noble incase anyone's interested... i believe current formulation

D, now you've made me want to go sniff out BdI even though I dont' even like sandalwood.
PS - I'm still reeling after my first use of Sycomore. I just can't get over how great it was.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've got a few ml of MPG Santal Noble incase anyone's interested... i believe current formulation

This has been on my try-list for a while. Too bad the SwapBox already went out. I really should list out my samples on your swap spreadsheet, maybe we can arrange something.

Last night: Just got a sample set from Sonoma Scent Studio in the mail. I tried Tabac Aurea. I get a moist rich slight sweet tobacco smell with no smoke. I think there is a little amber in there too. I haven't tried many tobacco-themed frags. This one is certainly interesting. Will have to sample again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads