Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Totally understand about the value equation for frags. That's why I generally stick with 10-15ml decants, becuase in most cases it's enough that I'd use it without having to buy a full bottle. Especially with the TF ones which are so strong I'd never go through 50ml. I generally set a limit of $30-50 on any given frag and just buy whatever size I can with that amount, or swap decants from my 100ml bottles for others I want but wouldn't buy FB's of. If you like AA, i'd highly suggest a few other ambers (Goutal - Fetiche, Lutens - Sultan, Hermes - Narguile). I wonder if Mitsouko gets more cred because Turin calls it his "favorite" I always think of Rive Gauche as a perfect example of a cheap masterpiece. PS - interested in doing another swap box in the coming months? i've got a bunch of partial samples + wardrobe decants to seed

2. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

Tom Ford Gray Vetiver. I like the smoky/tobaco notes that its gives off mid-day.

Still not as nice as Tom For For Him or Bond Saks Fifth Avenue, but will do on a nice quiet day in the office.

3. Master-Classter

Tom Ford Gray Vetiver. I like the smoky/tobaco notes that its gives off mid-day. Still not as nice as Tom For For Him or Bond Saks Fifth Avenue, but will do on a nice quiet day in the office.
    If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126273.html If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.

4. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire
    If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.

While I like the scent of Extreme, it didn't work on my skin, but I agree it is a nice smell.

I will definitely try LEN. Thanks for the reco.

5. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

If you like Grey Vetiver, try Lalique Encre Noire http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126273.html If you like TFFM, Try TFFM Extreme - IMO much better.
    Interesting you mention this, because Grey Vetiver is the only vetiver frag I've tried that I've really liked. Guerlain Vetiver left me ambivalent--it's OK, but not anything I need to own. Only problem is Grey Vetiver is $85 for a small bottle and not on discount anywhere. How would you say Encre Noir compares? I've read it's much darker, and I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for--I'm looking for a year-round vetiver. Thoughts?

6. Master-Classter

I can't say I know them both that intimately, other then that they're both sort of slighly smokier darker takes on vetiver and Basenotes reviews of GV tend to rate it as mediocre while EN gets a lot of good reviews. I've sampled both a few times. I think GV is a clean basic vetiver, good year rounder and innofensive, just a bit expensive. Not too interesting, but good and basic. EN is definitely more of a dark smoky kind of take on it, those who like it love it, personally thought i find it a bit "moody". Available for quite cheap though (just saw 50ml for <$30 at scented monkey a few weeks ago). So totally understandable about your impressions of EN being darker, and I understand your thoughts on Guerlain's, which I find has quite a lot going on, plus it's a little dirty with that tobacco/ash thing. Basenotes has quite a few threads on vetiver frag recomendations, taht's just what I've gathered from reading a bit. hope taht helps a bit.

7. kaiserkarl

kaiserkarl Senior member

want to buy something blind. please help me choose between ysl live jazz and nautica voyage. i like both perfumers behinds the scents and have owned others they've created.

8. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I can't say I know them both that intimately, other then that they're both sort of slighly smokier darker takes on vetiver and Basenotes reviews of GV tend to rate it as mediocre while EN gets a lot of good reviews. I've sampled both a few times. I think GV is a clean basic vetiver, good year rounder and innofensive, just a bit expensive. Not too interesting, but good and basic. EN is definitely more of a dark smoky kind of take on it, those who like it love it, personally thought i find it a bit "moody". Available for quite cheap though (just saw 50ml for <$30 at scented monkey a few weeks ago). So totally understandable about your impressions of EN being darker, and I understand your thoughts on Guerlain's, which I find has quite a lot going on, plus it's a little dirty with that tobacco/ash thing. Basenotes has quite a few threads on vetiver frag recomendations, taht's just what I've gathered from reading a bit. hope taht helps a bit.

I see, thanks. I like smoky, but I'm not sure I'm looking for "moody" in a vetiver scent.

9. Master-Classter

I see, thanks. I like smoky, but I'm not sure I'm looking for "moody" in a vetiver scent.

I'm sure others with more intimate knowledge of Encre Noire can chime in, I've only worn it a few times and it's sort of dark and smoky, but I just found it sort of "somber" if you will. As Thomas pointed out though, it really takes a quite a bit of wearing to really "get" any frag, and basenotes members rate it highly, it just wasn't for me though.

10. arlee

arlee Senior member

haven't tried Grey Vetiver but I love Encre Noire. If you try it and think its too much or overwhelming for you can always opt for Chanel Sycomore or try Etat's Fat Electrician

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

My new Body Kouros arrived today (after I sold it once) [​IMG]. Smells better than ever, sweet but with other elements to keep it interesting.

12. kulata

kulata Senior member

My new Body Kouros arrived today (after I sold it once) [​IMG]. Smells better than ever, sweet but with other elements to keep it interesting.
    Body Kouros is a very nice scent but it can be over bearing if you wear it all the time. Wearing Lanvin Vetyver today, my $10 find in Marshalls. The vetiver is quite muted and the scent is a lil musky.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

want to buy something blind. please help me choose between ysl live jazz and nautica voyage. i like both perfumers behinds the scents and have owned others they've created.

Hmmm. I've only tried Live Jazz but liked it quite a bit - that would be my choice.

Today: Chanel Pour Monsieur. Really ought to wear this one more often.

14. boo

boo Senior member

Antaeus yesterday and today. Was going to try a newly acquired Dior Homme Intense sample I acquired, but decided to save it for another day. I've just realized I have a growing backlog of samples to go through.

PS - interested in doing another swap box in the coming months? i've got a bunch of partial samples + wardrobe decants to seed

I'd definitely be up for this.

15. Master-Classter

Today, Aqua Di Parma Cologne. I'm slowly working through a pile of samples then either throwing them in the "swap" pile or "try again / get decant" pile. This one will probably be kept on hand for reference but there's not enough longevity to warrent a bottle for me (plus it's almost never on discount) boo - this'll probably take a couple of weeks to organize, I'm happy to figure it all out if we can get at least 5-10 people on board. We probably overkilled it last time with the spreadsheets and stuff, lol.