• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today the cold snap came again, and I was in a good mood from wrapping up some old business. Also, it occurred to me that I've only got a few weeks left before it's time to box up and shelve the heavy winter scents and bring forth the bay rum and vetiver.

So, today - Knize Ten.

What's your take on the Knize Ten?

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone wear Chanel Allure Edition Blanche?

it's fresh at first, becomes more sophisticated with wear, and i can safely tell you that basically all women will like it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
What's your take on the Knize Ten?

It's a strange duck, Knize Ten. What you get depends on how you apply. A light application give me spicy-amber-leather, with powdery floral background. A heavier application pushes the powdery-floral to the front and the spicy-amber to the back. I have a bottle and two decants and really went back-and-forth about buying a backup bottle or not. Since I've worn K10 maybe a dozen times in the last year - I decided against it.

I'd say that you should try before buying, but I find more and more that sometimes it takes a good while to get to know a scent - particuarly ones as dense as K10.

Originally Posted by tomgirl

it's fresh at first, becomes more sophisticated with wear, and i can safely tell you that basically all women will like it.

Strangely, I have plenty of Chanel, but not Allure or any of the flankers.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh - today: Etro Messe de Minuit. This one is also a weird duck. Everyone says old wood and incense - "Midnight Mass". I get brown sugar, coconut, wood, myrrhe. So, it's Midnight Mass with a splash of Jimmy Buffett.

boo

Reaction score
Give it time. After a few times of the powdery citrus monster, I found some amber lurking under the surface. The only reason I don't have mine is because Mrs. T really did not like it.

Went with the PdN New York today, and it's not bad at all. I am indeed getting resinous amber. Initially, I was put off as it seemed to be a "mature" scent, but I find I'm starting to like it.

Originally Posted by tomgirl

I have a few samples of that I'm waiting to use when things warm up. I recall a light citrus opening that develops into a vanilla powder.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Modern Reserve for me today. Very nice scent that tones down the original and makes it very smooth, but still satisfying.
nd.4782.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that you should try before buying, but I find more and more that sometimes it takes a good while to get to know a scent...

Funny, after thinking L'Air du Desert Marocain was all about lounging around in pillows for... I don't know, 5 or 7 wears, thinking it wasn't really for me, one day on a random wear I suddenly fell deeply in love with the scent.

I don't know what that process is, but it is striking.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Went with the PdN New York today, and it's not bad at all. I am indeed getting resinous amber. Initially, I was put off as it seemed to be a "mature" scent, but I find I'm starting to like it.
It's quite sophisticated and "CEO". I like it a lot but there's not too many places to wear it in casual LA. NYC would be a different story, however. Edit - double posted. Mea culpa.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
It's quite sophisticated and "CEO". I like it a lot but there's not too many places to wear it in casual LA. NYC would be a different story, however.

Edit - double posted. Mea culpa.

It never seemed overly formal to me. I'm in LA and I wear it more than any other scent, by far.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today was Jo Malone Vanilla Anise... Nothing at first, but this has actually grown on me!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Funny, after thinking L'Air du Desert Marocain was all about lounging around in pillows for... I don't know, 5 or 7 wears, thinking it wasn't really for me, one day on a random wear I suddenly fell deeply in love with the scent.

I don't know what that process is, but it is striking.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Today was Jo Malone Vanilla Anise... Nothing at first, but this has actually grown on me!

There are some who will tell you that it takes months to fully 'get' a scent, but I'm not part of that camp. What I think happens is that you only catch parts of a composition at a time, and that with time and repeated wearings you file away the obvious parts and start to notice the underlying themes.

Or, sometimes you just hit a mood or frame of mind where you're more receptive to a scent's mood or presentation. It's certainly happened to me on a few occasions (Dior Homme being one).

Today, a scent I loved from the get-go, TF Amber Absolute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads