• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today sampling Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin Fraicheur. Meh, interesting. I'll have to try it again though. Anyone have thoughts on Tommy Bahama for men?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan, how does the Au Fraicheur compare to the regular Au Masculin? I have the regular and wear it all the time (I love anise).

Oh and I saw Fresh Santal Rose at a Sephora, either the downtown Bloor St or the Yorkdale location, I can't remember tho. Just FYI. I really liked it too, might have to go cajole a tester next time...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hart, I haven't smelled them both so can't compare, sorry. This Fraicheur was a sample from the swap box from a few months ago. What i'm getting is some anise and some other herbs. I gave a light spray and it's a few hours later, hence, I'll have to retest it at some point. Re: Santal Rose - Thanks, I'll check that out. I know they had the Cannabis Santal. Also I think Holt's Bloor was clearing out a bunch of Fresh stuff a while back, not sure if they had Fragrances though. I'll be around those locations soon, so will look into them and probably get another sample while I'm there.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - went with L'Instant again. It's pleasant enough.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: an old Guerlain for a new month: Mitsouko edt.

boo

Reaction score
Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I first got to sample the original Egoiste yesterday, and I was surprised to find they seem to be two completely different fragrances. Just from smelling on paper, the original seemed bolder and more complex, but not my thing. I'm a relative newbie to all this so it could be that my nose isn't sophisticated enough yet.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ nah, I prefer PE to Egoiste myself. The original is indeed more complex, but when I wear it I smell too similar to apple pie.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Today - went with L'Instant again. It's pleasant enough.

Thinking about picking this one up. Do you think it would make a good year-rounder, or more limited to cool weather? I'm basically looking for a lighter, more easy-going version of Heritage (which I love).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Thinking about picking this one up. Do you think it would make a good year-rounder, or more limited to cool weather? I'm basically looking for a lighter, more easy-going version of Heritage (which I love).

When I first tried it I considered it cool weather only, but then again the summers here can make nearly anything cloying. In more temperate climates I'd have no trouble wearing this at least for three-seasons. For me it will stay in the rotation until around May and come back in, say, October.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
heh,...needshoehelp's post got me thinking about Heritage, so I searched out the decants and found a medium Heritage. Guess this is a Guerlain week for me: Heritage EdT.

Side by side, L'Instant is a bit lighter than Heritage, but not by much. I think Heritage has a ginger note that L'Instant replaced with sandalwood.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
heh,...needshoehelp's post got me thinking about Heritage, so I searched out the decants and found a medium Heritage. Guess this is a Guerlain week for me: Heritage EdT.

Side by side, L'Instant is a bit lighter than Heritage, but not by much. I think Heritage has a ginger note that L'Instant replaced with sandalwood.

Are you using L'instant EDT or EDP (extreme)? EDP seems to be popular at Basenotes, but they generally favor richer scents anyway. Myself, I'm more of an EDT person. My Heritage EDT is pretty rich and I can't imagine wearing anything much richer, personally.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ in both cases I have the Edt: Heritage and L'Instant. I know Guerlain has put out a (few?) L'Instant flankers (Extreme, d'Ete) but haven't tried any based on my conviction that flankers seldom smell better than the original.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yesterday started the month with Yatagan. Liked it so much I'm gonna do it again. I think I'd like to try wearing something for 3-5 days straight to get a really good feel for it. It's a nice change of pace from wearing a new scent every day.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, Shalimar EdT. Just cause

arlee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Are you using L'instant EDT or EDP (extreme)? EDP seems to be popular at Basenotes, but they generally favor richer scents anyway. Myself, I'm more of an EDT person. My Heritage EDT is pretty rich and I can't imagine wearing anything much richer, personally.

think you might of reversed the two cause the EDT has 71 positive votes and the EDP only has 4.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads