Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Kouros, my GF said I smelled like her uncle [​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Guerlain Coriolan. I really should find a bottle of this before it gets hard to find.

I thought it had already become hard to find!

Today: Knize Ten, and it seems that I've reconciled the differences between the bottle and the two decants I've thought were so, so different. Finally I think they've converged after some side-by side wearings. Part of it was likely a distrust of the decants.

3. wakerider

wakerider Member

My friend Heather got me a bottle of Very Sexy for Him... from Victoria's Secret. Have they always had men's stuff? I was not aware... But anyway, it smells GREAT, I get a ton of compliments on it.

4. nakokoro

nakokoro Well-Known Member

5. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

On a mountain top, close quarters all night long. Creed Himalaya, partly because it is low key, partly because its what I could carry. Unintentionally apt, given that I am on peak.

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Bond no. 9 Wall Street. I don't really like any of the Bonds but this one gets better with every wear, cucumber is great here.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline: a dry, dry, dry, smoke-and-incense scent, not terribly dissimilar to Yatagan in temperament.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today: Etro Messe de Minuit. Slightly embarrassing that I'd forgotten I had this one: a full bottle, even. What does it smell like? Incense, wood, and molasses. Love it.

9. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

My friend Heather got me a bottle of Very Sexy for Him... from Victoria's Secret. Have they always had men's stuff? I was not aware... But anyway, it smells GREAT, I get a ton of compliments on it.

I got a bottle of that in 2001-2002,

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I havn't worn a fragrance for a few years now and I'm looking to buy something. Hoping some of you experts can point me the right way. I want something that is: affordable - I'm semi broke. natural - doesn't have to be completley natural but I don't want to be praying chemicals on me everyday. light - i live in florida and a heavy scent can suck thanks!
    Could you be a little more specific about what types of smells you like? Do you want light fresh aquatics or citruses? Green herbals?, etc. Do you want it to last 1-2 hours or 8-10? For "Natural", guys like Chanel, Creed, and smaller producers like Crabtree&Evelyn, L'Occitane, etc are good places to start.
    I got a sample of Prada's Infusion d'Homme and was surprised at how "soapy" it was. Has anyone else tried it? I don't mind "clean" fragrances like L'Eau d'Issey but this one was a bit much. Any other recommendations for something similar? I heard Gendarme smells clean, how would it compare to these two?
    I have Prada Amber and yes, it's sort of "soapy". Others that are "soapy" but different could be Mugler Cologne (more of a green irish springs like soap), or I'd very much suggest trying Bvlgari Blu. If you wanted something aquatic or citrusy like Issey, I find that a little sour, but you could try something like Davidoff Cool Water, Bvlgari Aqua, or Aqua Di Gio amonst others
    I'm licking the menorah today with the very brassy Guerlain Winter Delice.
    How long do you find the AA's last on you? I like a few of them but I've heard they're gone pretty quickly. I've got a sample of this in the mail, so I'll see what I think when it arrives
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute. I may never use up this bottle, it's so strong.
    Love this stuff too and it just lasts and lasts! Heck, I've got a 10ml and I don't think I'll use even that!

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)
    How long do you find the AA's last on you? I like a few of them but I've heard they're gone pretty quickly. I've got a sample of this in the mail, so I'll see what I think when it arrives

Love this stuff too and it just lasts and lasts! Heck, I've got a 10ml and I don't think I'll use even that!

Winter Delice is the only AA I've tried, and being one of the first it was probably among the strongest. It doesn't help matters that I'm not all that fond of it, so I notice it more than I might with something more simpatico. WD is like the pebble in my shoe, if you will. It's fixin' to find a new home soon.

The Amber Absolute: I wound up with 30ml from a bottle split a year or so back. I probably have 20 ml left, after sending out a few samples here and there.

Today: Knize Ten.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Wearing a sample of Montale Aoud Leather. I do not approve of this scent, as I generally detest the Montale line-up. This one has a strangely stale-nutty aspect to it.

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Wearing a sample of Montale Aoud Leather. I do not approve of this scent, as I generally detest the Montale line-up. This one has a strangely stale-nutty aspect to it.

+1, T. Haven't smelled it, but honestly I can't imagine the mix of aoud and leather. They seem like two rather heavy notes that would clash rather badly... like vanilla and gasoline or something.

The bad thing about Montale is that they release a whole bunch of things, many of which are absolute (bad) stinkers. Some of their aouds are amazing... but the whole premise of this one just sounds icky.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

+1, T. Haven't smelled it, but honestly I can't imagine the mix of aoud and leather. They seem like two rather heavy notes that would clash rather badly... like vanilla and gasoline or something.

The bad thing about Montale is that they release a whole bunch of things, many of which are absolute (bad) stinkers. Some of their aouds are amazing... but the whole premise of this one just sounds icky.

Yeah, it's just...a mess. There's something beneath it all that isn't bad, but there's too much noise around it for me to dial it in. Besides, even if I do find 'beauty' in this one...how many people will I pass by who say..."ewwww stale-nutty-gasoline!"

As for Montale in general...If you're going to charge what you do: they had better be Masterpieces. Not olfactory reproductions of Duchamp's urinal on the floor or bricks in a pile.

15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Yeah, it's just...a mess. There's something beneath it all that isn't bad, but there's too much noise around it for me to dial it in. Besides, even if I do find 'beauty' in this one...how many people will I pass by who say..."ewwww stale-nutty-gasoline!" As for Montale in general...If you're going to charge what you do: they had better be Masterpieces. Not olfactory reproductions of Duchamp's urinal on the floor or bricks in a pile.
    +1. I've had LOTS of Montale... many obtained through trades... and while there are some absolute knockouts (Montale Queen Aoud, Greyland, Black Aoud, Patchouli Leaves, etc.) others were huge duds. Fougeres Marine smelled like Tommy... but for 6x's the price. Chypre Vanille was neat, but oddly antiseptic and arid, almost smelled like... umm... I'll not say. Embruns d'essaouira... boring as hell. Like one of those Adidas "fresh" things you get for $15... only15 times more expensive. Anyway, as you mentioned, and as a caveat for other members, just because it's expensive, doesn't mean it's good. DEFINITELY sniff and sample heavily before dishing out $100 or more for any fragrance, no matter what the review online. Places like luckyscent and elsewhere offer $2-3 samples of all their stuff.