Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Vivienne Boudoir for me.

Believe it or not... and T knows me and so will probably be shocked... I've managed to whittle my collection down to about TEN random bottles. Can you believe it?

Anyway, I'm not going to get any new ones until I completely get rid of these ten. I will then begin to reconstruct a stable of 15 or so essentials that I think will more or less keep me set for the future. It's been a fragrance adventure for nearly ten years, trying hundreds of things, so I'm really happy finally to be getting down to exactly where and what I want.

Ten bottles? I've heard of people getting their collections down like that but I am SO not there at the moment. Although, if I had to do a Top 10 list, I could probably pull it off, no trouble. Now that I think of it, if I had to shed the occasionally worn or completely forgotten, I'd probably be down to 20-ish. Maybe I'll post that to the Top 10 list.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vivienne Boudoir for me.

Believe it or not... and T knows me and so will probably be shocked... I've managed to whittle my collection down to about TEN random bottles. Can you believe it?

Anyway, I'm not going to get any new ones until I completely get rid of these ten. I will then begin to reconstruct a stable of 15 or so essentials that I think will more or less keep me set for the future. It's been a fragrance adventure for nearly ten years, trying hundreds of things, so I'm really happy finally to be getting down to exactly where and what I want.

Boudoir won't be one of those essential 15, though, but I'm trying to use it up and find it a wonderful winter frag. I don't know if I can yet come up with the full 15 (it will take some thinking), but I can name about six right off hand that will for sure be on the list. I can't guarantee anybody else will like these, but these are my "personal" choices.

1. Malle Bigarade Concentree
    2. Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    3. Guerlain Jicky
    4. Guerlain L'instant Pour Homme
    5. L'artisan Parfumeur Voleur de rose
    6. A Montale Oud (maybe Oud Black, White, or Steam)
    7. ??? Still thinking about it...

Ten bottles? I've heard of people getting their collections down like that but I am SO not there at the moment. Although, if I had to do a Top 10 list, I could probably pull it off, no trouble. Now that I think of it, if I had to shed the occasionally worn or completely forgotten, I'd probably be down to 20-ish. Maybe I'll post that to the Top 10 list.

I'm almost in the same boat. I have several decants that I enjoy wearing from time to time, but I have less than 20 bottles and at least 5 of those get no use (cheapo blind buys). The thing is, absent from my collection are a few that I'd like to have as staples, including your aforementioned Vetiver Extraordinaire. I could live happily with a small stable of favorites though, including:

Derby
    Guerlain Vetiver (vintage)
    PdN New York
    Yatagan
    3rd Man
    Eau d'Hermes
    Equipage
    Knize Ten
    Eau Savage
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

I'd probably want to add a few great niche scents - maybe a Lutens. I'd love to have a bottle of Biche dans le Absinthe from Gobin Daude. That stuff is magical and I have just the tiniest amount of a decant left. I don't think you can get that anywhere as far as I can tell. Also Nostalgia from SMN - I used up a decant of that and miss it frequently. Probably I'd have to have a Comme de Garcons scent too, though I'd have a hard time picking one. And definitely a classic Guerlain extrait - probably Mitsouko.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today I went with something I seldom wear: Dunhill for Men. It's fine for what it is, but if I finish this bottle I won't replenish it. It's a touch too bitter at the outset, and a bit too cloying/spicy at the mid-point.

4. 70gransport

70gransport Well-Known Member

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, back in Guerlain Mitsouko edt.

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

L'Artisan Tea for Two. I really ought to get a full bottle of this.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I decided to get creative and layer Vivienne Boudoir (a powdery, warm rose and sandalwood) with Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Pitahaya (vanilla, woods, and pear.)

I must say the combo has created something like a Pear Chypre Mitsouko. Very neat and one I shall repeat again.

9. stylist

stylist Well-Known Member

Guerlain L'instant Pour Homme & Marc Jacobs. I've already received several compliments today.

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

11. Chaos P. Bennu

Chaos P. Bennu Senior member

YSL Rive Gauche pour homme
    +1

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Tom Ford Amber Absolute. I may never use up this bottle, it's so strong.

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

Tom Ford Grey VetIver. Another great work fragrance!

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guerlain Coriolan. I really should find a bottle of this before it gets hard to find.

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Sampling

L'Artisan - Timbuktu
    L'Artisan - Tea for two
    Le labo Aoud 27
    Etat Libre d'Orange - Fat Electrician

I can't stand the Le Labo Aoud, I would rather buy L'occitane Vetyver than buy Fat Electrician and Gucci II seems to a compenent fragrance when it comes to tea scents. Considering Timbuktu though. Lemme go grab more samples...