Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Moreland

Moreland Member

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Oops, I meant Poivre 23. Don't know why they need the numbers in their names at all. I believe "Poivre" is actually french for pepper, which is the top note of this fragrance. The pepper dissapears after a couple of minutes but I like the warm spicy note that develops and stays for a while.
    Whoops, you're right. I mixed up the numbers and the names. I don't know French [​IMG] How'd you get a hold of the Poivre 23? Are you in London?

3. downtownstyle

downtownstyle Senior member

4. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Whoops, you're right. I mixed up the numbers and the names. I don't know French [​IMG] How'd you get a hold of the Poivre 23? Are you in London?
    What works for me is to know just enough french that french speakers feel bad about you butchering their language, (or appreciate you making an effort, however you see it), so that they switch to english. [​IMG] The NYC Le Labo store is actually offering 25 bottles of each if the city specific perfumes. While we were buying Bergamot (insert whatever its number is here) as a gift for a friend, Mrs. Dmax decided she really liked the Poivre 23. Now I get to use it too. She is waiting for a few days before wearing it for the fragrance oils to mingle since Le Labo mixes everything to order.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

What works for me is to know just enough french that french speakers feel bad about you butchering their language, (or appreciate you making an effort, however you see it), so that they switch to english. [​IMG] The NYC Le Labo store is actually offering 25 bottles of each if the city specific perfumes. While we were buying Bergamot (insert whatever its number is here) as a gift for a friend, Mrs. Dmax decided she really liked the Poivre 23. Now I get to use it too. She is waiting for a few days before wearing it for the fragrance oils to mingle since Le Labo mixes everything to order.
    Wow, good to know about the NY store. And thanks for the French advice. I'm sure it'll come in handy some day. [​IMG]

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

All the French I ever really knew was - "Pardonnez-moi, parlez-vous Anglais? Mes Francais sont terrible"

Today, speaking of French scents: Caron Yatagan.

7. redstarnyc

redstarnyc New Member

Does anyone know who sells DIOR Bois D'argent / Eau Noire?
    I had smelled them once at Barney's but I don't think they carry them anymore.
    Thanks.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Went with Diptyque's Tam Dao today. Its like a tobacco/leather scent crossed with Phylosikos. Need some more time with this one.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Went with Diptyque's Tam Dao today. Its like a tobacco/leather scent crossed with Phylosikos. Need some more time with this one.

Really? I thought that was pretty much straight sandalwood. I thought it almost smelled of cedar too, but I've been told that the cedar quality is a trait of pure sandalwood oil.

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

YAY SF IS BACK

Today: Chanel Antaeus. It's been a while.

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Thanks to a generous BN admin and Penhailgon's I now have the entire Penhaligon's lineup. Tried the English Fern, and Blenhaim Bouquet yesterday. Definitely classy scents.

Today finished up another GIT sample. I know you guys don't care for the boring safe scents but I seriously don't know what's more pleasant smelling than GIT. I may buy a bottle. (After selling a few extra I have)

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

I'm sure this has been discussed....

What is the geneal shelf life of a bottle of EDT?

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm sure this has been discussed....

What is the geneal shelf life of a bottle of EDT?

it depends on a number of factors:

light and heat tend to degrade the fragrance oils.
    exposure to air likewise tends to evaporate some alcohol and oils.
    Some oils tend to be longer-lived than others, regardless of their environment.
    Stronger concentrations tend to last longer than weaker.

That said, a properly-stored EdT can last decades. The Antaeus I'm wearing today came from the 80's, and it's held up well.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - the proto-type from last week: Nighthawks. Now that I'm at the office, it's taken a feminine bent: ylang-ylang, jasmine, violet, sweet basil.

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Penhaligon'e Bluebell.