• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ the only lime I've bothered with a SCS Bay Rum with a Twist, which is quite lime-intensive. After that I figure they're little more than fleeting memories in a bottle.

Today: Caron Pour un Homme for a moderately chilly morning.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - Chanel Allure? I think. One of the most obvious things I find about lower quality frags is their lasting power. Most just die within 2-3 hours or basically have no sillage within a very short time. But even some of the supposed higher quality ones are the same. I've heard Chanel is a quality house, and yet there are very few of their colognes I'm impressed with at all. what is there? Anteaus, No 5... and? egoist/platinum? pour monsieur? seems like they have few in the lineup and most aren't that interesting IMO. Compared to Hermes, YSL, even smaller guys like D&G or Burberry, the hit rate just seems higher...
Originally Posted by dganderson
Just picked up some D&G Light Blue and the new Gucci by Gucci.
Seen the James Franco mock?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
Originally Posted by Rambo
Tried out Diptyque Philosikos again yesterday. I seem to remember liking this one more than I did. Nice subtle fig note but I lost any scent after a few hours.
There are some other "fig" ones out there like Marc Jacobs for men, and i think an etro or ferragamo one or something, but from what I've read and smelled, if you want fig, the Diptyque one is the best. I really want to try it but I have such a small sample that I'm waiting for the right day when I can really evaluate it. Still, something i'm thinking about getting 20-30ml of for special occasions.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok bear with me on this.

Current rotation:

- Jo Malone Lime Basil (Hot days)
- Dior Homme (Hot nights, kinda)
- CDG man 2 (Cold days)

So whats next? I think a 4-scent rotation would be just nice and proper.

Thanks.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess you're looking for a cold night scent? Maybe something on the romantic side? How about Caron 3rd Man, for something easy to find and cheap? Or maybe Egoiste or Antaeus from Chanel?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, something not sweet or musky would be super.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Yup, something not sweet or musky would be super.
You need a classy "work" or business scent. Something gentlemanly, maybe with just a hint of powderiness (more chypre, less powder, though). Depending on your budget, try: 1) Chanel Pour Monsieur: always recommended. 2) Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive: expensive, but lovely. 3) Creed: Several are good, but NOT Green Irish Tweed. Everybody has this one. Try Erolfa or Bois du Portugal. 4) Parfums di Nicolai: New York. Kinda like Bois du Portugal, but quite unique. A little powdery. 5) Aramis JHL: Recently reconnected this one when it was rereleased and I'm really enjoying it. 6. Guerlain Jicky: a classic. Some people think it stinks terribly, but I lurv it. 7. Guerlain Mitsouko: another classic. 8. Chanel no. 19 or Bois des Iles

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ Can't really add much to the recs above.

Well, perhaps you might give John Varvatos a whirl, or seek out some Knize Ten, or Etro Gomma, or Etro Messe de Minuit.

Right now: wearing Goutal Encens Flamboyant. Reminds me of Yatagan and Black Tourmaline.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^ Can't really add much to the recs above.

Well, perhaps you might give John Varvatos a whirl, or seek out some Knize Ten, or Etro Gomma, or Etro Messe de Minuit.

Right now: wearing Goutal Encens Flamboyant. Reminds me of Yatagan and Black Tourmaline.

Knize and Gomma are neat, but can be kinda arid and dry. I LOVE both, but they can be definite hits and misses for some. Lutens Cuir Mauresque (I think I'm misspelling it) is another dry, sort of smutty leather, and Parfum d'empire Cuir Ottoman takes the smutty, greasy leather cake. Whew, lovely stuff.

Messe de minuit, Villoresi Incensi, and Passage l'enfer (L'artisan parfumeur) are good incense scents, though I feel like he's already got the "spicy" angle covered with the Lime Basil.

A slightly powdery chypre or subdued, non-musky, non-sweet gentlemanly one is the ticket (IMHO!)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ ah, I'd never tried the Jo Malone Lime Basil, so I assumed it was more of a citrusy/herbal. That's what I get for not trying the stuff!

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "Basil" note in Lime Basil is definitely spicy! Thanks for the help, will try out w/e has been mentioned soon!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
You need a classy "work" or business scent. Something gentlemanly, maybe with just a hint of powderiness (more chypre, less powder, though). Depending on your budget, try:

1) Chanel Pour Monsieur: always recommended.
2) Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive: expensive, but lovely.
3) Creed: Several are good, but NOT Green Irish Tweed. Everybody has this one. Try Erolfa or Bois du Portugal.
4) Parfums di Nicolai: New York. Kinda like Bois du Portugal, but quite unique. A little powdery.
5) Aramis JHL: Recently reconnected this one when it was rereleased and I'm really enjoying it.
6. Guerlain Jicky: a classic. Some people think it stinks terribly, but I lurv it.
7. Guerlain Mitsouko: another classic.
8. Chanel no. 19 or Bois des Iles

What's the price range (general) on the above?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I'll list retail price, but it's possible (probable) you can find them cheaper through online discounters.

1) Chanel Pour Monsieur: $50-75
2) Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive: $150-230
3) Creed: Several are good, but NOT Green Irish Tweed. Everybody has this one. Try Erolfa or Bois du Portugal. $150-200
4) Parfums di Nicolai: New York. $90
5) Aramis JHL: $48 for 100mls
6. Guerlain Jicky: a classic. ~$100
7. Guerlain Mitsouko: another classic. ~$30-150, depending on size and concentration (edt, edp)
8. Chanel no. 19 or Bois des Iles: $90-100, though I think BdI has been rereleased in only a giant 200ml size.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you classify Polo Double Black? Suitable for business? Is it a good value?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads