Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Forgive if this has already been asked in here but:

What colognes do you guys wear in cold weather and around the Holidays? Im talking scents that evoke snow and ice, not so much clovey spiciness. It sounds lame but Acqua di Gio used to be my scent around the holidays and still always makes me think of snow whenever I smell it.

Burberry London seems like a good holiday cologne to me. I just sold my bottle as I don't like the tobacco overload though. Today I'm wearing A*Men Pure Coffee.

2. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

I'm trying to expand my scent inventory. Picked up the following recently:

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Eau Sauvage
    Vetiver Guerlain
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Safari by RL

My favorite of the above is probably the AdP Colonia but I'm disappointed in its longevity. I picked up the Gucci and Safari at a local Marshalls for $25 a piece.

Does anyone have any good additions to this list? I'm thinking of picking up a Chanel Pour Monsieur or perhaps one of the Creed scents. How about AdP Colonia Intensa or Assoluta? What do the fragrance experts think?

3. kulata

kulata Senior member

L'Instant by Guerlain EDT

Lovely fragrance

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

Does anyone have any good additions to this list? I'm thinking of picking up a Chanel Pour Monsieur or perhaps one of the Creed scents. How about AdP Colonia Intensa or Assoluta? What do the fragrance experts think?
    All good choices. I have Intensa in my collection and I like it a lot. Lasts around 4-5 hrs . Assoluta does last a long time - 6-7 hrs which is a lifetime for ADP fragrances, but I like the smell of Intensa more. My favorite scent as of late is Le Labo Rose 31, which paradoxically doesn't smell like rose. What I've learned since amassing a small collection is that it doesn't make sense to buy larger bottles of anything, since a 4 oz bottle will last an average 9 months if you give yourself 5 spritzes per wearing. Multiply that by 10 bottles and... The Perfumed Court is a great online site to sample numerous fragrances, including most of the Creeds. A bit expensive but it beats buying blind. Http://www.theperfumedcourt.com . Same with Luckyscent for the niche frags. Also, buying Creed on ebay is risky. Too many fakes.

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Kouros Cologne Sport. Smells like the Frachuir and a different flanker I tried, I swear they're all the same scent.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ yeah, that was the impression I got as well.

Today: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Starts with nice tobacco scent, but quickly turns to clover honey.

7. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

All good choices. I have Intensa in my collection and I like it a lot. Lasts around 4-5 hrs . Assoluta does last a long time - 6-7 hrs which is a lifetime for ADP fragrances, but I like the smell of Intensa more.

My favorite scent as of late is Le Labo Rose 31, which paradoxically doesn't smell like rose.

What I've learned since amassing a small collection is that it doesn't make sense to buy larger bottles of anything, since a 4 oz bottle will last an average 9 months if you give yourself 5 spritzes per wearing. Multiply that by 10 bottles and...

The Perfumed Court is a great online site to sample numerous fragrances, including most of the Creeds. A bit expensive but it beats buying blind. Http://www.theperfumedcourt.com . Same with Luckyscent for the niche frags.

Also, buying Creed on ebay is risky. Too many fakes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll order a sampler of some of the Creed scents and try out the other AdP's as well.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm trying to expand my scent inventory. Picked up the following recently:

Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Eau Sauvage
    Vetiver Guerlain
    Gucci Pour Homme
    Safari by RL

My favorite of the above is probably the AdP Colonia but I'm disappointed in its longevity. I picked up the Gucci and Safari at a local Marshalls for $25 a piece.

Each time I read a post of this nature, I meditate a little longer so I don't post the same half-dozen suggestions over and over again. That said, Chanel Pour Monsieur is a clear-cut winner for me, but if you go for the lighter-cleaner types, Platinum Egoiste (or YSL Live Jazz) is a good choice.

If you're looking to branch out into the rest of the scent realm, Pour Monsieur is great, as is Chanel Antaeus, Guerlain Habit Rouge (or Heritage, if you must). See if you can get a sample of YSL Kouros Sport or if you go for tobacco-heavy fougeres, Lauder for Men (which should be at your local Macy's at the Lauder perfume counter) is a big scent that might work for you. Just apply lightly.

Speaking of fougeres, Caron pour Un Homme is a favorite of mine, but Guerlain Jicky is quite good as well - provided you can stand the civet note (Big Pun found it revolting).

BTW: AdP Colonia Assoluta: I dislike the drydown. Really dislike it. But others go for it.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

BTW: AdP Colonia Assoluta: I dislike the drydown. Really dislike it. But others go for it.

Me too. Not good.

10. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

today i'm sporting lovely blend of cigarettes, hermes gentian, apple-scented pomade, and b.o.

11. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

Each time I read a post of this nature, I meditate a little longer so I don't post the same half-dozen suggestions over and over again. That said, Chanel Pour Monsieur is a clear-cut winner for me, but if you go for the lighter-cleaner types, Platinum Egoiste (or YSL Live Jazz) is a good choice.

If you're looking to branch out into the rest of the scent realm, Pour Monsieur is great, as is Chanel Antaeus, Guerlain Habit Rouge (or Heritage, if you must). See if you can get a sample of YSL Kouros Sport or if you go for tobacco-heavy fougeres, Lauder for Men (which should be at your local Macy's at the Lauder perfume counter) is a big scent that might work for you. Just apply lightly.

Speaking of fougeres, Caron pour Un Homme is a favorite of mine, but Guerlain Jicky is quite good as well - provided you can stand the civet note (Big Pun found it revolting).

$101 for a 750 ml bottle of Pour Un Homme. Wow! http://www.amazon.com/Pour-Homme-Car...6173213&sr=1-1

That's cheaper than some bottles of booze I have (OK, cheaper than one bottle I have).

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sampling Tom Ford Private Blend Original Musk and White Suede. The musk is a bit peppery and a bit woody. Nice. I can't quite put my finger on the suede but it smells pretty damn good. I'll have to give these full tryouts. Got samples of the other two as well.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today - Giorgio for Men. Strangely it's got the same mossy-honey note as Tobacco Vanille, for like 1/10th the price.

14. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

for winter i out . . .

Chanel Allure Homme
    Burberry London
    Hanae Mori HM

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member