1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

Inspired after reading Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent, I went smelling this afternoon, and got depressed. We only have the big chain stores nearby --- Macys, Sephora, Nordstrom --- so I got to smell the mainstream stuff, and most of it is pretty awful or simplistic. Worst thing I smelled was Clinique Happy for Men. It was like an orange popsicle. Best thing was Shalimar and Guerlain Vetiver. Bulgari Black has intrigued me for a long time, but I'm not sure an intellectual smell is a good thing (or a bad thing). Everything else was simple, a bad copy of something else, or some kind of cliche.

Time to visit Scent Bar in LA.

Choices for tonight (a benefit event for the ballet company): Dior Homme or perhaps something more subversive like Angel.

--Andre

Also visit Le Labo and Santa Maria Novella, both a ten minute walk from the Scent Bar

2. boo

boo Senior member

Bond Andy Warhol Montauk yesterday. Opens with grapefruit and evolves into a creamy citrus. Not exciting enough to be FBW, but it does seem to be perfect for a lazy Sunday stroll along the boardwalk with cargo shorts and flip-flops (or I'm just a sucker for marketing). Does seem to lean a bit feminine, though I find that to be the case for all of the Andy Warhols.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Also visit Le Labo and Santa Maria Novella, both a ten minute walk from the Scent Bar

Thanks! Will add those to the list, too.

--Andre

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jules today. I'm working my way through a decant and I'd like to get my hands on a bottle. Is this still in production? Trussardi Uomo is a pretty close approximation, but it lacks the green quality of the Dior scent. I used to hate this style - which I think of as animalistic soapy fougere - but it's really grown on me.

5. kaiserkarl

kaiserkarl Senior member

animalistic soapy fougere sounds good.

6. willpower

willpower Senior member

Gendarme. Yeah, I know. I get a lot of compliments on it, even when I can't smell it on me.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Jules today. I'm working my way through a decant and I'd like to get my hands on a bottle. Is this still in production? Trussardi Uomo is a pretty close approximation, but it lacks the green quality of the Dior scent. I used to hate this style - which I think of as animalistic soapy fougere - but it's really grown on me.

If it is, it's a bear to get hold of. I can't recall whether you mentioned having tried this, but have you tried Lauder for Men? I know that's still widely available and shouldn't be too far from Jules.

Today, I wasn't sure what to wear, go I grabbed L'Instant and ran with it.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Eau de Lalique... my favorite scent for summer. Fresh and clean, but with a hint of odd niftiness that I really quite enjoy and that takes it far beyond the normal "citrus/fresh" summer scent.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it is, it's a bear to get hold of. I can't recall whether you mentioned having tried this, but have you tried Lauder for Men? I know that's still widely available and shouldn't be too far from Jules.

Thanks for the tip. After I posted yesterday I actually read reviews on Basenotes and saw some comparisons to Lauder for Men. I love the Aramis line so I expect Lauder to be of similar quality. I'll probably pick up a bottle from ebay or the downtown fragrance district.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Rose Poivree today. I'm picking up a tangy note in the base, a little bit like dried strawberries, that I've never noticed before in this. I'm liking it a lot, even more than I usually like this fragrance.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks for the tip. After I posted yesterday I actually read reviews on Basenotes and saw some comparisons to Lauder for Men. I love the Aramis line so I expect Lauder to be of similar quality. I'll probably pick up a bottle from ebay or the downtown fragrance district.

I know that Macy's generally has testers on the Lauder counter. Although I would recommend you spray lightly and give it an hour before making a decision. When I bought my bottle, I sprayed it on in the store and by the time I got to the car, I was mortified and wondered how I would face my co-workers. Eventually it became (mildly) presentable.

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

What's a safe relatively cheap fragrance thing that I can use on those rare occasions I need to smell good without smelling like a Mexican who used some cheap ass perfume?

13. willpower

willpower Senior member

@lemmywinks Depends on your budget - Probably the least expensive product that smells pretty good is Everlast 1910. You can get a bottle for around $20 online. It's a stronger scent, so it might not be perfect in every situation. Gendarme is clean, clean, clean and light which makes it very safe (but kind of boring) for any occasion. Parfum1.com has the lowest price for it. ~$45 . Or you can find it at Bloomingdales or Nordstrom. I wear this one a lot and get complimented on it frequently. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is office safe and smells pretty good ~$75. Less expensive is Guerlain Vetiver, but it's a bit dirtier and has a hit of tobacco.

14. rach2jlc

There are very few modern scents out there that I like.

They simply aren't harsh or interesting.

I really think you'd like some of Frederic Malle's offerings. They're really unique, and some of them are right foul (in a good way).

Also, I could see you going for some of the harder-to-find Lutens offerings. BUT, in general, I agree with you that most contemporary scents are quite bland, and that many of the best notes have long since been outlawed in their natural form.

15. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I'm wearing John Varvatos Artisan today (and every other day as it is the only fragrance I own right now).

I'd describe it as light and citrusy...good for the summer.

16. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Taking out a sample of Patchouli Patch out for a spin, and I'm alternately reminded why I got it in the first place, and why I swapped it away.

17. rach2jlc

Taking out a sample of Patchouli Patch out for a spin, and I'm alternately reminded why I got it in the first place, and why I swapped it away.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Sort of sweet, cloying patchouli. I like it... and actually went through two bottles... but it's NOT an easy wear.

Montale Patchouli Leaves is a more satisfying patchouli, overall, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find and costs too much... but it's great.

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Yeah, that's a tough one. Sort of sweet, cloying patchouli. I like it... and actually went through two bottles... but it's NOT an easy wear.

Montale Patchouli Leaves is a more satisfying patchouli, overall, IMHO. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find and costs too much... but it's great.

Yeah, I like it, and then I think it's too likeable and not interesting enough. I do think that L'Artisan did something interesting in creating a fruity vibe without referencing fruity notes.

If you've not tried Reminiscence Patchouli Elixir, that one's quite interesting.

19. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

What's a safe relatively cheap fragrance thing that I can use on those rare occasions I need to smell good without smelling like a Mexican who used some cheap ass perfume?

These are cheap and have drawn compliments from women when I wore them. But every person's body chemistry is different so YMMV.

Ungaro III
    Chrome by Azzaro
    3rd man by Caron

20. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

today Bvlgari Black, feeling weird.

Been testing/comparing a few
    Azzaro versus Boss 1 - thoughts?
    Kouros versus Fraisheur version - thoughts?
    C&S Dark Rose versus Montale Black Aoud versus Fresh Cannabis Rose versus Rose 31 versus Malle un Rose and also C&S Rose and no88 thrown in there - trying to figure out which I like best. I'm leaning towards Black Oud as my "dark" rose