Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Estee Lauder Azuree. Considerably easier-wearing when I spray this into the air and walk through it.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

The original CK Obsession today. Haven't worn this one in years and years and years, but it is really a very nice scent. The ubiquity of it in the 80's and stuff sort of wore out its welcome... but after 10+ years, it is nice to go back and sniff it again with a new "nose." Overall, it's a very well done scent... soft, dry, yet spicey, with a hint of warmth and that comes through nicely on the dry-down. It's infinitely more interesting than the mass-market, bland, sporty detergent "fresh" garbage everybody puts out today. [​IMG]

3. rach2jlc

Was thrilled to find that they re-released HAVANA and JHL in 100ml bottles. Formulas, to my nose, smell as they used to. Havana is a great, spicey, deep tobacco wonderland and JHL is one of the great "gentleman" scents. Apparently Estee lauder developed it for her husband. In any case, $48.00 retail for 100 ml bottles isn't such a bad price. Definitely bottle-worthy, IMHO, if you want classics with character and punch. Links to a place to purchase: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=0022548199206

4. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Today, giving A*Men another try... now I feel like eating chocolate :-( [​IMG]
    How many sprays? I feel like I can't do more than one. And I really don't think it works in warm weather. I still can't decide whether I like it or not.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Was thrilled to find that they re-released HAVANA and JHL in 100ml bottles. Formulas, to my nose, smell as they used to. Havana is a great, spicey, deep tobacco wonderland and JHL is one of the great "gentleman" scents. Apparently Estee lauder developed it for her husband. In any case, $48.00 retail for 100 ml bottles isn't such a bad price. Definitely bottle-worthy, IMHO, if you want classics with character and punch. Links to a place to purchase: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...=0022548199206
    Finally! $48 for a 3.4oz is a steal as these used to go upwards of $75 on the Basenotes boards. Has anybody found the bottles at a local Saks? I'd be interested in trying the rest of the re-released line as well. Rach - do you know if they fucked with the formula or is it the same as the original?

6. rach2jlc

Finally! $48 for a 3.4oz is a steal as these used to go upwards of $75 on the Basenotes boards. Has anybody found the bottles at a local Saks? I'd be interested in trying the rest of the re-released line as well. Rach - do you know if they fucked with the formula or is it the same as the original?

Havana and JHL are the same, AFAIK. They didn't "update" it at all, though it is possible that if they had Oakmoss in the basenotes, they may have changed that particular note (since it is now illegal to use).

Nevertheless, they are definitely not "modernized;" Havana is still very pungent, very strong, and JHL still has that soft, classic feel.

I found the whole range at my local Nordstroms, btw...

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Great news on Havana, though it's too bad they didn't use the original blue cylindrical bottle. My 50 ml bottle is half gone and I probably don't wear it as often as I'd like because I wasn't sure I'd be able to replace it. I have a decant of JHL and I've never liked it much, though I've suspected it might be an old and ill preserved example. I'll try to smell that one at a store.

8. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

Recommendations

1. Something "˜green' with a lingering, sweet vanilla heart
    2. Something minty

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today, to commemorate the first day of fall, AND an incoming cool front (OMG, only 85 today, bring a sweater!), wearing Chanel Cuir de Russie which is slowly winning me over after a bad first impression.

CdR was odd, Knize Ten is the closest thing I've smelled to it, and Knize has way more powdery floral notes, where CdR is more straight floral.

My condolenses living in TX where I can't imagine wearing half the stuff I like.

I'm trying Bond no. 9 HOT Always today. I still don't get why Bond costs so much.

They are quite similar, though the Knize is definitely the one with the adam's apple and the stubble on its cheeks. Just as an experiment, I found that if I spray it onto skin, it became a Godzilla Floral, but when I spray into air and then wave my arm through it, the Knize is less floral, more spicy-leather. Better-balanced, definitely.

By lunchtime CdR had become a close-quartered nice skin scent. Smelled really nice, though.

I suggest you try the CdR in the Pure Parfum concentration. It is really impressive.

Today - Parfum DelRae's Debut.

10. rach2jlc

I suggest you try the CdR in the Pure Parfum concentration. It is really impressive.

+1.

Havana for me today. Also, here is a thread on basenotes about the re-release; apparently others agree that the juice has NOT been changed.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=havana

11. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Thanks dopey, I'll look into it. Also glad Havana is not reformulated, I've been meaning to try it. I hate when I want to try an old classic, and everyone says it been reformulated for the worse.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I suggest you try the CdR in the Pure Parfum concentration. It is really impressive. Today - Parfum DelRae's Debut.
    And where do you locate this mythical wonderjuice? The Chanel boutiques down here only have the standard versions of all the scents.

13. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Incanto by Ferragamo.

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

And where do you locate this mythical wonderjuice? The Chanel boutiques down here only have the standard versions of all the scents.

Don't know where "down here" is, but the Chanel store in NY carries it and will order it for you if they don't have it (they did that for me).

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Don't know where "down here" is, but the Chanel store in NY carries it and will order it for you if they don't have it (they did that for me).
    South Florida. I'll ask next time I'm in the mall and see if they can snag some for me. Neither the store nor the boutique inside Saks have anything other than the originals. How would you say the EdP improves on the original.