1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. scugger

scugger Senior member

Holy shit, that is insane. Very nice lighting and arranging. Right now: Testing out Montale Red Vetyver . Eerily similar to TdH.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Insane certainly is the right word for it. Did he (I presume) just go and buy everything over a certain price point and then arrange them accordingly?

Seeing that brings me back around to the issue I face each time I buy something - will I actually wear the damn stuff, or is this just acquiring to have it? I really wrestled with this issue when I binged on Pour Monsieur last year, and it is not lost on me that I still have part of the very first bottle of Antaeus I ever bought, in '06. Not a single bottle emptied in four years.

3. scugger

scugger Senior member

Insane certainly is the right word for it. Did he (I presume) just go and buy everything over a certain price point and then arrange them accordingly?

Seeing that brings me back around to the issue I face each time I buy something - will I actually wear the damn stuff, or is this just acquiring to have it? I really wrestled with this issue when I binged on Pour Monsieur last year, and it is not lost on me that I still have part of the very first bottle of Antaeus I ever bought, in '06. Not a single bottle emptied in four years.

This guy definitely has some kind of issue and has way more juice than he will ever be able to use. He does seem to have at least some restraint (haha) because he doesn't have "everything" from each house up there, although he certainly seems to have all of the basenotes approved stuff. Either way, I am glad this guy is obsessed and posted this crazy pic.

Today: Giving Hermes Equipage a try.

4. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

I got a big 125ml bottle of Viktor & Rolf Antidote last week ( gift ) and still haven't opened it for some reason. Do you guys think it's worth opening and trying it, or should I leave it unopened and sell it asap ? I actually don't need another scent at the moment and would only open and try it if it's really worth it. I'm kinda averse after I've looked up the ingedrients and notes-description. I don't want to smell like an Oriental fruit salad or something...

Any experiential reports ?

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

This is a really great fragrance in my opinion, but it seems so formal and old-school that I always felt odd wearing it even to the office. I finished the bottle a couple of years ago, but haven't felt compelled to buy another.

Jardin Sur le Nil today. This is my favorite of the Jardins, and the fragrance on which I get complimented the most by far. My bottle is 99% empty, though, so I've resisted wearing it lately.

6. boo

boo Senior member

That's a really nice set-up. I'd love to try putting something like that together, though it would be on a MUCH smaller scale unfortunately.

Today its Les Parfums du Soleil - Soir de Marrakech, purchased from Takashimaya (they still haven't started their going out of business sale as of yesterday, and was told it would probably be next week). It's availble in Morocco for a fraction of what I paid, but I guess it's still a bargain if you account for airfare to Africa. It goes on a bit medicinal at first, kind of like M7, but becomes an orange creamsicle with a bit of spice and incense. Longevity has been surprisingly good despite being an EdT.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

hmmm...have never tried Antidote, but I haven't heard a lot of bad things about it. If I were you I'd seek out a sample or tester and see whether it works for you.

Today: SCS New Spice again. Yesterday it lasted the whole workday, which surprised me. Still liking it quite a bit.

8. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior member

Wow, that collection is insane! But also drool worthy.
    Wearing Jivago 24k today. I had heard that it's similar to Cool Water, but it is almost a clone! I like Cool Water, so no complaints.

9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Insane certainly is the right word for it.

+1.

WTF? This guy is obviously willing to spend insane amounts of money to acquire a huge variety of excellent fragrances. But when it comes time to acquire the very best of the best, he cheaps out. Where's the Drakkar Dynamik, to say nothing of the Drakkar Noir? Where, for God's sake, is The Baron? Where is Blue Jeans? I search in vain. (Perhaps he keeps these in a safe-deposit box at the bank, in which case I retract my harsh critique.)

10. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This guy definitely has some kind of issue and has way more juice than he will ever be able to use. He does seem to have at least some restraint (haha) because he doesn't have "everything" from each house up there, although he certainly seems to have all of the basenotes approved stuff. Either way, I am glad this guy is obsessed and posted this crazy pic.

Actually, there were two pics that came to mind that were far larger: one was a large-scale decanter who had work tables covered with full bottles. Covered.

The other one was a collector who put every bottle he owned in front of his fireplace. It was huuuuuge. The only drawback was that he had a ton of cheapies - but once you get to a certain count, there's not a whole lot left to draw from in terms of guy-friendly quality line-ups. I mean, SL has - what - 24 scents, Tom Ford a dozen or so? Then Bond, Le Labo, Guerlain, Nicolai, Malle. After that, you're into smaller-scale territory, with fewer than a dozen scents per house, or you go Lauder/Aramis, and the mass-market types.

(BTW: guy's obviously a small-timer. In my house...the bottles that aren't in that season's herd...are in their boxes. That's right. in their BOXES!)

11. PassionZappa

PassionZappa New Member

fuel for life diesel

black code armani

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

yeah, it sort of bothers me that most of them, while nice bottles, are pretty much all expensive. It's like it's more about buying the 'pricey' stuff then the 'good' stuff, precious few mainstream frags there.

today Encre Noire. I'm liking this more, but I still think Sycomore is much nicer

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

yeah, it sort of bothers me that most of them, while nice bottles, are pretty much all expensive. It's like it's more about buying the 'pricey' stuff then the 'good' stuff, precious few mainstream frags there.

today Encre Noire. I'm liking this more, but I still think Sycomore is much nicer

Actually, few Chanels that I could spot, and nothing Ormonde Jayne, but a ton of Amouage. Funny, that.

Today...Mugler Cologne. each time I wear it I think I ought to get a full bottle....but SRSLY, I have a 15 ml travel bottle and there's still quite a bit left compared to when I first got it over a year ago.

14. kaiserkarl

kaiserkarl Senior member

nice wardrobe. as for me i actually like hunting down cheap discontinued bottles. that's been my kick the past month. today i'm wearing diorella the one in the houndstooth splash. it is similar to eau sauvage.

15. boo

boo Senior member

Sampled Histoires de Parfums 1828 today. I get a bright citrus, maybe with a hint of green underlying it. Makes me think of a more natural smelling Platinum Egoiste. Felt it become a skin scent, but I think that's going to be the nature of such scents. It seems to sweeten every so slightly on the drydown, but I only noticed with my nose up close. I might try again with more sprays some time. Still, I doubt I'd get thrilled enough for a full bottle. Anyone in NYC looking to sample the Histoires de Parfums line should stop by Takashimaya. They got a bowl full that they're just giving away.

16. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

How is Encre Noire for year-round wear?

17. willpower

willpower Senior member

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

How is Encre Noire for year-round wear?

I think it's fine. Personally I tend to prefer warmer sweeter stuff in winter like orientals and ambers and such, but sometimes on a cold winter morning I don't mind something a little crisper. I don't particularly like EN, at least I didn't at first. i've got a decant I'm working through, still not sure if I'd ever get a FB though. It holds up well in the summer heat as well as winter.

looking for a rec here... my bro like Tom Ford Italian Cypress now. So I figured, ok, PINE+SMOKE and handed him Polo Green (modern reserve) which he liked. i seem to recall there being a "go to" pine frag, anyone have ideas? I think a bit of smoke/incense in there would also be good.
    TIA

19. kaiserkarl

kaiserkarl Senior member

how many bottles of your signature frag do you keep? i see that dude had a lot of xeryus. although maybe he has more multiples of others.

20. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...) looking for a rec here... my bro like Tom Ford Italian Cypress now. So I figured, ok, PINE+SMOKE and handed him Polo Green (modern reserve) which he liked. i seem to recall there being a "go to" pine frag, anyone have ideas? I think a bit of smoke/incense in there would also be good.
    TIA

hmmm. My first blush thought was Yatagan. It might be a bit more astringent than he'd like, but it dries down to a smoky pine. Actually, it dries down to smell like my fireplace.

how many bottles of your signature frag do you keep? i see that dude had a lot of xeryus. although maybe he has more multiples of others.

Well, I have backup bottles and then I have Backup Herds. My two main scents have backups totalling 1.5 L, although I have to say that a large part of that is due to reformulations. I think that the rest of the backups come from finding a deal.