Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

I'm answering part 1) partly to bump, partly to add what I know. Grapefruit and bergamot are popular opening notes for many scents: bergamot more so than grapefruit. In believe in each case, the extract comes from the rind because it's plentiful and easily extractable. That said, grapefruit is trickier than bergamot because in some cases grapefruit extracts and compositions can turn sulfurous on some skins. In any case, both grapefruit and bergamot are fleeting.

Some flowers don't frequently get extracted because they are fiendishly difficult to get right: methods of extraction vary and either get only a partial picture or worse, mutilate the essence. Rose is a very popular note in perfumery, but I've never smelled any rose composition that got it right: they tend to the cartoonish.

There is a scent called O Pomelo, from Comptoir Sud Pacifique. It's apparently quite good, but fleeting, to put it mildly. I would not recommend you buy blindly, because CSP does tend to be either cloying or strange. My Vetyver Haiti starts with a mustard note. Mustard. wtf.

Thanks, Thomas. I might have to blind buy O'Pomelo. I read somewhere that the note is extracted from the pomelo flower, but I see no way that they can get it right. It's spring my way and I was in the yard earlier just standing and sniffing the pomelo tree. I can't begin to explain the brilliance of it.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Another good green is L'eau de L'artisan. You might also like some of the classic "eau de colognes" ala Guerlain Imperiale, CDG Cologne Citrico, Cologne Sologne, Santa Maria Novella, etc. One of my favorites is parfums Berdoues "Naturelle," though this one is really hard to find.

My SOTD today is CDG Anbar. This has always been my least favorite of the CDG Cologne Series (behind Vettiveru and Citrico), but there is ONE occasion when it outshines the others: really hot, dry, sunny weather.

It has a resinous, slightly sweet, sort of woody quality that comes alive during the right kind of weather that can't be beat. If going to a desert, I'd take this one.

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Thanks, Thomas. I might have to blind buy O'Pomelo. I read somewhere that the note is extracted from the pomelo flower, but I see no way that they can get it right. It's spring my way and I was in the yard earlier just standing and sniffing the pomelo tree. I can't begin to explain the brilliance of it.

Honestly, I think you will be disappointed. I'd suggest you try to find some on the basenotes board or get a sample/decant before you spring for a bottle.

4. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Creed MI today. Doesn't smell as natural as other Creeds, IMO.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Hmmm. Not sure today. May go with Vetiver once I get showered and ready to roll.

6. rach2jlc

Hmmm. Not sure today. May go with Vetiver once I get showered and ready to roll.

Pshaw. Pansy. Go with Yatagan. Show your friends and family who's boss. [​IMG]

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Pshaw. Pansy. Go with Yatagan. Show your friends and family who's boss. [​IMG]

[​IMG] too late to do much good, though. Could still apply it this evening and show Mrs. T who's boss!

[​IMG]

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Tuesday back at the office: L'Artisan Tea for Two.

Why was I expecting a Tea-based scent? This one is pipe tobacco all the way. Like it.

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Today, sampling Armani Prive - Ambre Soie... [​IMG]

10. rach2jlc

Today, sampling Armani Prive - Ambre Soie... ]
    LOVE this one... one of my favorite Ambers. I am kicking myself that I didn't buy it when TJ Maxx had some on closeout for $29.99... but oh well. If anybody else happened to pick some up, or sees it at their local store, PM me if you want to get rid of yours. Guerlain terracotta voile d'ete for me today, as it is cloudy and foggy and this one fits just right.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today: Caron Pour Un Homme, a minty medicinal lavender received in a swap from Rach. Turns out that the little one LOVES this one. I now have like four backup bottles.

12. rach2jlc

Today: Caron Pour Un Homme, a minty medicinal lavender received in a swap from Rach. Turns out that the little one LOVES this one. I now have like four backup bottles.
    You and your back-ups. If there is a nuclear holocaust, others will have their canned foods, but T is preserving Chanel PM and Caron PuH for future generations! [​IMG] Did you ever try the new Prada Amber Pour Homme? It sort of reminds me of a 23rd century version of the very 1930's-ish Caron. For me, today, eau de lalique for the warmth and the sun.

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Today, TF Vanilla Tobacco... I keep loving this, I'm just wondering if the novelty wears off after a while. Maybe a touch too sweet... [​IMG]

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

You and your back-ups. If there is a nuclear holocaust, others will have their canned foods, but T is preserving Chanel PM and Caron PuH for future generations! [​IMG] Did you ever try the new Prada Amber Pour Homme? It sort of reminds me of a 23rd century version of the very 1930's-ish Caron.

For me, today, eau de lalique for the warmth and the sun.

In this case, Amazon was letting the bottles go cheap, and had a promotion CHEEP I TELL YOU! For the Chanel: it was a half-liter bottle. How many times do you come across THAT? I was smell-bound.

Actually, for some reason, Amber has been a fleeting thing for me, but I'll likely revisit it this winter, once things get cold around December/January. I was thinking about the summer bottles that have been worn just a few times, and that's really tempered my buying impulses. Plus, I still have decants and samples I've yet to try, much less actually wear.

15. rach2jlc

In this case, Amazon was letting the bottles go cheap, and had a promotion CHEEP I TELL YOU! For the Chanel: it was a half-liter bottle. How many times do you come across THAT? I was smell-bound.

Actually, for some reason, Amber has been a fleeting thing for me, but I'll likely revisit it this winter, once things get cold around December/January. I was thinking about the summer bottles that have been worn just a few times, and that's really tempered my buying impulses. Plus, I still have decants and samples I've yet to try, much less actually wear.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to resist a half-liter bottle either. Amaaaaazing!

Strangely enough, this past weekend after I got back from Japan I went to visit the folks for a day and, while killing time getting my car's oil changed, walked over to a thrift store down the street. I found a perfectly fresh, brand new, 4 oz bottle of the original "Chanel for Men," which was the old incarnation of what is now Chanel PM in the States. Strange how time works out... I NEVER run across it anymore.