1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Today, a cold shower post-run, and the realization that the next six months will be warm to torrid. Time to stow away the ambers and leathers.

I was reaching for the box of Shaal Nur but my hand fell on Unforgiveable Multi-Platinum instead.

2. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Wearing Narciso Rodriguez musc collection today. Its getting hot so time to wear YSL L'homme and L'instant EDT

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Sampling Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It's okay, but it's not like I hear angels singing when I spray it. I think Platinum Egoiste, which I already have, would equally suit any occassion where I'd want to wear Edition Blanche. It does make me want to revisit stronger citruses that I had originally dismissed such as Eau Sauvage, Diptyque Tarocco, or F Malle Bigarade Concentree.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

5. scugger

scugger Well-Known Member

Sampling last night and wearing again today for work Tauer's Reverie au jardin. EDIT: Not quite sure how to describe this one. A little sweet, a little fresh, a little creamy, some lavender in there too. Does not smell bad by any means, but doesn't smell interesting enough for me to reach for.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Today: Rochas Man. Need to hurry up and write a review on this one. Will probably keep.

7. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Platinum Egoiste today

8. scugger

Caron Third Man.

9. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Encre Noire - Lalique

I love this stuff!!!

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

today sampling Versace's The Dreamer - sweet and powdery, I haven't tried enough to figure out if I want a whole bottle, but I think I might just pull the trigger anyway, or try find a partial somewhere

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

Testing C&S No. 88 again today. The opening is wonderful, but the development is considerably less good. It doesn't smell bad, but it loses everything that's so distinctive and interesting about the beginning.

12. Master-Classter

Testing C&S No. 88 again today. The opening is wonderful, but the development is considerably less good. It doesn't smell bad, but it loses everything that's so distinctive and interesting about the beginning.
    I ordered the sample pack from them and this was one of the standouts that I sniffed briefly and said "oh", nice stuff, can't wait to try it, and the black bottle is kinda, well, sexy, if I may say. But as you noted, I have a feeling the beautiful opening will be rather short lasted and go nowhere from there. Nice as a splash, but I need frags to earn their keep before going full bottle. Another "nice, but not good enough" frag. maybe if I had 50 bottles I'd throw it in there, but at 20-30, it's questionable.

13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Bond Riverside Drive today. Just going off a decant for now, but plan on a bottle in the next month.

Got a few samples from luckyscent (tester vials on arm, not full wearings):

Six Scents Urban Tropicalia: Juicy tropical fruit. I like it, but I'm concerned on versatility. Great for casual wear. Would be great while vacationing in the Bahamas or something. I called at 4 or 5 NYC stores on the six-scents website listed as retailers, but only found one that actually has the line (Henri Bendel). Must not have done very well.

Six Scents Illicit Sex: How can you resist a name like that? Got sort of a peppery, sweaty vibe from it. A gentler version of the Kouros opening before the urinal cake sets in. I'd love to try this further, but I think it's just the name and images that it conjures up that attracts me. If it were called Joe's Pepper Sweat Cologne, I probably wouldn't be interested.

CdG Sequoia: Goes on a bit boozy, but then dries out and literally smells like redwood (duh). I enjoy smelling it, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like it. I'll experiment with this later, perhaps when the weather cools a bit.

14. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Wearing a sample of Bond No. 9 West Broadway. As much as I dislike the whole idea of Bond No.9 and their pricing, I have to say this is a good scent. Not 'buy-a-bottle-at-retail-price' good, but appealing, direct, and solid.

15. scugger

CdG Sequoia: Goes on a bit boozy, but then dries out and literally smells like redwood (duh). I enjoy smelling it, but I'm not sure if I want to smell like it. I'll experiment with this later, perhaps when the weather cools a bit.

I've tried Sequoia a few times. It is a really nice smell, just like the redwood forest in NorCal. I find this one to be a bit linear, though. Even so, sometimes it's fun to just kick it and smell like a tree.

Today: I think I am going to rock some PdN New York.

16. Master-Classter

I prefer Palisander

today, it's cold and rainy so it's Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla to warm me up.

17. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

today: Aramis New West.

BTW, the current New West doesn't seem as good.

18. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Bleecker St today, my first choice for a rainy day.

Wearing a sample of Bond No. 9 West Broadway. As much as I dislike the whole idea of Bond No.9 and their pricing, I have to say this is a good scent. Not 'buy-a-bottle-at-retail-price' good, but appealing, direct, and solid.

I'll have to try that one. I haven't gotten through most of the "unisex" scents yet.

19. scugger

I prefer Palisander
    Inspired me to re-sample Palisander last night. I get a nice peppery woodsy smelly that goes on light. Very pleasant, but does not seem to have enough attitude for me to get more than my sample vial. Today I am going to try Diptyque's Tam Dao as I work from home. EDIT: From Tam Dao, I get a buttery, unfinished woodsy smell, a little sawdust. Not sure what the fuss about for this one.

20. Dane

Dane Well-Known Member

^^ Not much point in shopping for a decent sandalwood these days. Once upon a time Palisander was a curry-inspired take on Bois des Iles, and Tam Dao was a milky, minimalist sandalwood...now they smell of half-ass Lutens and Home Depot, respectively.

Bois des Iles is the only sandalwood still worth smelling...and it's a pale imitation of what it once was. Still nice though.