• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
L'Occitane Eaux de Bavx
nd.2034.jpg

I liked that one when I tried it on in the store.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^ I originally grabbed it under the auspices of Vanilla.. which there is a hint of it in, but the more i smell/use it and read about it, it's actually more like a smoky incense dark and sexy kind of smell. I hear it's unisex, but in my mind its like a more smoky dark and deep alternative for TF vanilla tobacco (which I find almost too sweet)

cairomerta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Creed Santal today... PS - I just saw... COSTCO?! is selling these 125ml for $140 USD... not too shabby

CreedOriginalSantal-M500.jpg

This one is amazing in the cool winter weather. I love it.

cairomerta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Tried out Diptyque Eau Lente yesterday. Nothing special.

I have never found a Diptyque that I liked. I dont know why? Something for me just doesnt work.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cairomerta
I have never found a Diptyque that I liked. I dont know why? Something for me just doesnt work.
Tam Dao and Phlyosikos aren't too shabby. So far, none of the other are lighting my fire. Still working on that Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I can't decide if I like it or hate it.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been digging around in my box of decants and samples to try stuff that I haven't given much of a chance to in the past. Right now I'm wearing Live Jazz. It always bugged me when I tried it before - it has that conspicous fougere quality up front that always reminds me of locker rooms - but today I get the mint and citrus and I'm liking it quite a bit, especially in this smokey humid hell hole that is Los Angeles.

Last night when it was cool I put on a big dose of New Haarlem to see if I should go shopping for a sweet gourmand scent. It's one style of scent I've never tried to wear but I've been thinking of picking up a bottle of something cheap, like Body Kouros or Rochase Man. I'm leaning toward the latter but curious if anyone has comments on these two or others like them. I like New Haarlem, btw, but I'm not gonna spend that much on a bottle.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've been digging around in my box of decants and samples to try stuff that I haven't given much of a chance to in the past. Right now I'm wearing Live Jazz. It always bugged me when I tried it before - it has that conspicous fougere quality up front that always reminds me of locker rooms - but today I get the mint and citrus and I'm liking it quite a bit, especially in this smokey humid hell hole that is Los Angeles. Last night when it was cool I put on a big dose of New Haarlem to see if I should go shopping for a sweet gourmand scent. It's one style of scent I've never tried to wear but I've been thinking of picking up a bottle of something cheap, like Body Kouros or Rochase Man. I'm leaning toward the latter but curious if anyone has comments on these two or others like them. I like New Haarlem, btw, but I'm not gonna spend that much on a bottle.
Look who's back from the fragrance graveyard. Live Jazz is a very nice summer scent. I get quite a bit of the citrus, a lemony smell, and a small bit of muskiness to back it up. I'd been wearing it so much that I got tired of it and stuffed it into the sample box. So far, the others seem to be enjoying it as well. For a cheap gourmand I'd recommend Hanae Mori EdP, which has a much more concentrated chocolateish note than the EdT, or Bvlgari Black, which is heavy on the vanilla. I vote HM.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Look who's back from the fragrance graveyard.

tounge.gif
I wear fragrance every day, but I hit a wall a few years ago on basenotes and now find I can't read or talk about it quite so often. I think I've tried HM and I thought it had some kind of fruity note, no? I remember not liking it after a brief sniff at Sephora or someplace like that but it's been a few years since I tried it. I've bought and sold Bulgari Black twice now. I want to like it but it really rubs me the wrong way when I wear it. It fatigues my nose.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ funny thing, that. I pretty well quit the fragrance boards I used to post on and reviews are getting harder to do lately. And strangely fewer packages are hitting my door these days.

But then again I could has said exactly the same thing six or seven years ago.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
tounge.gif
I wear fragrance every day, but I hit a wall a few years ago on basenotes and now find I can't read or talk about it quite so often. I think I've tried HM and I thought it had some kind of fruity note, no? I remember not liking it after a brief sniff at Sephora or someplace like that but it's been a few years since I tried it. I've bought and sold Bulgari Black twice now. I want to like it but it really rubs me the wrong way when I wear it. It fatigues my nose.

I know the feeling. I pretty much gave up on Basenotes a while ago. You should get in on the swap box. Might find something worthwhile. My guess is you tried the Hanae Mori EdT. For some reason it never really stood out to me as a gourmand and always seemed a bit fruity. The EdP is WAY sweeter so much so that I only have to use the mist-and-walk to apply it. I think Sephora sells it in stores but I'm not positive. Bvlgari Black wasn't anything special IMO but its popular here.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Help needed from the big guns (rach2jlc, Thomas, dopey, joel_954, Baron, Rambo, willpower, Dane, and the rest).

1) Is the pomelo note a) grapefruit/bergamot b) taken from the fruit's skin/meat c) taken from the pomelo flower? I'm hoping it's from the flower. The real thing is heavenly. Can you guys recommend something with pomelo?

2) Can you recommend something floral that is consistent throughout? I don't want much heavier middle/base notes.

3) Any good sites you care to recommend that deliver to Australia (in general, not just for the particular perfumes I'm after)? Cheapest place to get decants?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Help needed from the big guns (rach2jlc, Thomas, dopey, joel_954, Baron, Rambo, willpower, Dane, and the rest).

1) Is the pomelo note a) grapefruit/bergamot b) taken from the fruit's skin/meat c) taken from the pomelo flower? I'm hoping it's from the flower. The real thing is heavenly. Can you guys recommend something with pomelo?

2) Can you recommend something floral that is consistent throughout? I don't want much heavier middle/base notes.

3) Any good sites you care to recommend that deliver to Australia (in general, not just for the particular perfumes I'm after)? Cheapest place to get decants?

I'm answering part 1) partly to bump, partly to add what I know. Grapefruit and bergamot are popular opening notes for many scents: bergamot more so than grapefruit. In believe in each case, the extract comes from the rind because it's plentiful and easily extractable. That said, grapefruit is trickier than bergamot because in some cases grapefruit extracts and compositions can turn sulfurous on some skins. In any case, both grapefruit and bergamot are fleeting.

Some flowers don't frequently get extracted because they are fiendishly difficult to get right: methods of extraction vary and either get only a partial picture or worse, mutilate the essence. Rose is a very popular note in perfumery, but I've never smelled any rose composition that got it right: they tend to the cartoonish.

There is a scent called O Pomelo, from Comptoir Sud Pacifique. It's apparently quite good, but fleeting, to put it mildly. I would not recommend you buy blindly, because CSP does tend to be either cloying or strange. My Vetyver Haiti starts with a mustard note. Mustard. wtf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads