• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Antaeus Sport was almost similar to A*men, it was very heavy and almost like caramel. I already have about 10 scents like that, though.

I tried Encre Noire today, it was a very sharp (almost citrus) cedar type of scent.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh great gods of the scentiverse... quick question, I just picked up this bottle of Ebay... anyone know 1. the age? or story of the different labels, and color of cologne? 3. Anyone interested in a decant/sample swap including this (I've got some others, I can PM a list). - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250478975695 PS, PSA off Basenotes.com - HUGE sales currently at Stella Nova (call the store too)... http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1586912 PPS - one more Q... I'm looking at a bottle of D&G Homme off Craigslist, now I know these are faked quite a bit with the light blue, any idea on the main one? The guys says he got it as a gift, and maybe it's completely legit but I was just wondering, are there any tell-tale signs that it's a fake if I look at it?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
The Antaeus Sport was almost similar to A*men, it was very heavy and almost like caramel. I already have about 10 scents like that, though.

I tried Encre Noire today, it was a very sharp (almost citrus) cedar type of scent.

A heavy caramel scent: what's sporty about that? ah well.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Oh great gods of the scentiverse... quick question, I just picked up this bottle of Ebay... anyone know
1. Is it authentic? (I'm assuming there's no market for ripping this kind of thing off)
2. Any idea on the age?
3. Anyone interested in a decant/sample swap including this (I've got some others, I can PM a list).
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250478975695

PS, PSA off Basenotes.com - HUGE sales currently at Stella Nova (call the store too)...
http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1586912

Oh, ebay. How you hurt us so at times.

This bottle worries me for a number of reasons:

First, the juice is dark. I don't recall many SMN being that dark, so you're either looking at an authentic bottle with ersatz juice, or it's turned. Whether it's a matter of just the topnotes or the whole juice is something only you can determine by wearing. For instance - I bought a bottle of Signoricci that was a dark yellow (normally it's quite pale). The opening was pretty manky but eventually it wore off and things got decent enough. Still threw the bottle away.

Second, the seller knows nothing about it and is selling it as-is. Generally you're not going to get assurances of quality in these cases, but it's a not-uncommon ruse for a seller to buy an empty vintage bottle and refill it with something else and sell it under the veil of "I-just-found-this".

Normally this happens with vintage Chanels, Guerlains, and perhaps Piguets among others. Santa Maria Novella being a trendy line, I wouldn't be surprised to see this as well, and it's especially easy to get away with if the bottle isn't part of the current line-up. The ruse goes like this: "I just came across this at an estate sale, what a find! No I didn't try it. It looks vintage. No, it's not part of the current line-up, so no one really knows what it's supposed to smell like. It might have turned a bit, but it's vintage so of course it will smell different. Anyway, good luck, hope it works out for you."

For reference, here's a recent review, note the color of the juice.

http://www.nstperfume.com/2006/06/15...grance-review/

This could all work out nicely for you, who knows. Good luck with it.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^Thomas has it. I'd stay away from the D&G. And not only because its D&G.

Stopping by that salon place today. Hoping to find Mari's Montale Soleil di Capri to try out

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have a source for sample vials and the like? I like the idea of a sample swap, but the only empties I have are 10ml sprays and not many at that.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Does anyone have a source for sample vials and the like? I like the idea of a sample swap, but the only empties I have are 10ml sprays and not many at that.
Quick google search found these: http://www.pilotvials.com/Plastic-Pe...Atomizers.html http://www.madinaonline.com/items.as...atus=0&Tp=&Bc= http://www.bestbottles.com/all_bottl..._wholesale.php http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...s--dsh-/Detail Or, if you're feeling bold, you can hit up your local Sephora and con them into giving you a bunch of their sample vials.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quick google search found these:

Or, if you're feeling bold, you can hit up your local Sephora and con them into giving you a bunch of their sample vials.

Out of curiosity, how many people do you think would go for samples?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many people do you think would go for samples?
Go for or have samples to swap. I think many would be interested but I don't know how many are sample hoarders like we are. You and I are much more likely to have some of the nicer samples as opposed to some of the other members who are just starting. I don't know how much of an advantage there would be unless we can get some people with nicer collections who are willing to decant. I think we could get at least 10 people minimum. You, me, the queen when he comes back, dopey, mahra, big pun, willpower, master-classer, Dane (If he ever comes out of hiding), and probably a few others. How would we set it up?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, ebay. How you hurt us so at times. This bottle worries me for a number of reasons: First, the juice is dark. I don't recall many SMN being that dark, so you're either looking at an authentic bottle with ersatz juice, or it's turned. Whether it's a matter of just the topnotes or the whole juice is something only you can determine by wearing. For instance - I bought a bottle of Signoricci that was a dark yellow (normally it's quite pale). The opening was pretty manky but eventually it wore off and things got decent enough. Still threw the bottle away. Second, the seller knows nothing about it and is selling it as-is. Generally you're not going to get assurances of quality in these cases, but it's a not-uncommon ruse for a seller to buy an empty vintage bottle and refill it with something else and sell it under the veil of "I-just-found-this". Normally this happens with vintage Chanels, Guerlains, and perhaps Piguets among others. Santa Maria Novella being a trendy line, I wouldn't be surprised to see this as well, and it's especially easy to get away with if the bottle isn't part of the current line-up. The ruse goes like this: "I just came across this at an estate sale, what a find! No I didn't try it. It looks vintage. No, it's not part of the current line-up, so no one really knows what it's supposed to smell like. It might have turned a bit, but it's vintage so of course it will smell different. Anyway, good luck, hope it works out for you." For reference, here's a recent review, note the color of the juice.
Mmm, thanks a lot. Some thoughts: Generally I do stay away from ebay with fragrance as i know its loaded with fakes and such. I figured this was a pretty niche company/scent so less likely to be faked, but then again as you said it could either be real bottle, fake juice, or real bottle with baggage... I'll be on the lookout for that refill scam, although probably just avoid ebay in general intead. I emailed the seller for more info/details "out of curiosity"about where it came from... Note - I asked a store here (noor) what they thought and the guy said that the darker metallic green label and darker yellow liquid is a slighly older generation taht they were selling up until about 2-3 years ago until a new label and color came in. Still, it may have gone bad or whatever. Anyway, I figured for around $50 it's a bit of a risk but could be fun. I do have a sample that I can compare it to just incase. anyway, thanks for the feedback, I geuss I'll see when it arrives!
redface.gif
^Thomas has it. I'd stay away from the D&G. And not only because its D&G.
ha, thanks. I know it's completely mainstream and overdone but I actually quite like the frag. It's reasonably priced, with good sillage and longevity, so in my books a winner.
Go for or have samples to swap. I think many would be interested but I don't know how many are sample hoarders like we are. ... How would we set it up?
I'm up for something like this, though as you mentioned I have a somewhat limited collection (5-10 bottles of fairly mainstream stuff plus about 10-15 samples of more niche stuff that I may have just smelled and never used - along the lines of boss, versace, joop, bvlgari, etc and then l'artisan, penhaligons, creed, etc)... otherwise I'm open to buying samples off my "wishlist" or recommendations from y'all. As for logistics... I've been getting empty spray bottles from sephora, but could buy some online for decants. It's probably easier to just do swaps then payment systems. Today: Givenchy Pi... I'm not really getting the overly "vanilla" vibe... sort of smells like a warmed up Le Male to me. Something almost metallic/synthetic. Pretty much faded away within 3 or so hours. Pleasant, but not a "YES" sort of buy for me... cool bottle though. maybe worth buying an almost empty one just to have that in teh collection (ok, now this is starting to sound like an addiction)
53993eb09f6399ef1ecac3bad4b4df96.jpg

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
As for logistics... I've been getting empty spray bottles from sephora, but could buy some online for decants. It's probably easier to just do swaps then payment systems.
I was thinking more along the lines of a traveling box. One person puts in samples and send it to the next person on the list. That person takes out what he wants and puts back things he has but no longer has interest plus any requested decants. Then he sends it onto the next person on the list and so on and so forth.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of a traveling box. One person puts in samples and send it to the next person on the list. That person takes out what he wants and puts back things he has but no longer has interest plus any requested decants. Then he sends it onto the next person on the list and so on and so forth.

I like this idea. I could totally do this.

Hell, I could seed the box.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like this idea. I could totally do this. Hell, I could seed the box.
I think between the two of us we'd have to use a large flat rate Priority box.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, sounds like a great idea! I'm happy to contribute whatever I can to the mix.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like we have the beginnings of a pass. Anyone have experience with these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads