1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Yesterday, ummm... oh, TGQ's Cavendish Black, a pipe-tobacco scent. Very convincing.

Today, I got a second sample pack of the C&S line-up and went with Wild Rose, a saffron/rose/chocolate/oudh scent. Definitely a change of pace.

2. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

3rd Man, Caron.

What's TGQ?

3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

3rd Man, Caron.

What's TGQ?

The Gentleman's Quarter. Small maker of shaving soaps who's now starting up with colognes. She (Colleen) makes a great soap IMHO. She's got a web front, but it's not quite fleshed out yet.

4. Tamburlaine

Tamburlaine Member

Early Xmas present: Terre d'Hermes. Mmmmmmm.

5. Hartmann

Hartmann Well-Known Member

Today: Guerlain Homme. Not bad, but nothing special. The opening was nice and zesty, not strong at all. The drydown was completely different though. I got a note of tea, vetiver and woods, quite bland actually.

Yesterday: Guerlain Heritage. Just a test spray on my wrist. Seemed quite distinguished. Don't know if I could pull it off tho. The drydown was nice, so it's worth a second try.

I also sampled L'Instant, EdC Imperiale, Jicky and Habit Rouge (2nd time). I don't know how some members here can wear HR, the civet note is totally and completely offputting. In general it smells dated and stale like a book gone moldy. Jicky was bewildering and I didn't enjoy it, but I don't know why, it was just an assault on my senses.

6. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^^ I discarded my first sample of Habit Rouge a few years back. It was a fairly generous vial, too. Jicky took a while to click with me, and if you think that's bad then by all means avoid Mouchoir de Monsieur. Heritage is nice but no different from Hermes Rocabar which I like, but not enough to keep and wear all that often. Easily wearable in the winter months IMO, though.

Guerlain Homme is hardly a Guerlain, and one of the reasons that Jean-Paul Guerlain came out of retirement to compose the upcoming masculine Guerlain release (a leather, if memory serves). Thierry Wasser is a competent perfumer (not a 'name', though), but needs more time to develop into the house style - love it or hate it.

Today I went back to Ambre Precieux. Will probably rotate between this, Amber Absolute, and the Chanels, at least into the new year.

7. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

^^Haiku is kaput, Thomas?

Today went with my impossible to find sample of Knize Forest. Love this one.

8. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^Haiku is kaput, Thomas?

Today went with my impossible to find sample of Knize Forest. Love this one.

Just hibernating.
    I go back and forth, between
    haiku and english.

9. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Well-Known Member

Think it was thanks to Thomas that I discovered TGQ. Soaps are great, particularly Cavensish Balck and after christmas I'll be putting in an order for the scent.

10. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Divine L'Homme Sage- the golden glow is great- though I'd tone it down a bit if I could.

11. Korben

Korben Well-Known Member

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'm going to get her the black orchid tom ford for Christmas.
    Try some of the Black Orchid on yourself... you might just like it. I wear it from time to time myself. It's a little fruity/jammy but still earthy. and it sticks like... oh that reminds me of that joke with the bear taking a crap in the woods and the bunny comes along and the bear all embarrassed asks him if the you-know-what ever sticks to his fur and the rabbit says that it does, and really badly, the bear thinks about that for a second and then quickly grabs the bunny and wipes his ass with him. The end (of the worlds longest run-on sentence that it)
    Today, I got a second sample pack of the C&S line-up
    +1, mine just arrived in the mail. I sniffed most of them from the swap box but wanted to sample them all properly. Looking forward to no.88 and Cuba. Ox&Cam was also interesting.
    Just hibernating. I go back and forth, between haiku and english.
    Lol, love it. I jsut thought you were on your mobile or something, then it all clicked. Today, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla. PS - Basenoters have been SO generous in swaps recently. I've gotten piles of various sample/freebees with my swaps that now I feel compelled to do the same. I've now got a decent little basked of half-used samples that are awaiting the next StyleForum swap-box.

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

^^^ lol, I forget the old bear and rabbit joke.

Today, I was hunting around for the Amber Absolute, but trying to be surreptitious about it since Mrs. Thomas was awake and I didn't want to let on to having two drawers of bottles (as if she doesn't know), and it wasn't in the first drawer I picked, so I had to run with something else: John Varvatos.

14. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve and a blizzard coming. Creed Millisime Imperial. Its lazy richness and citrus seemed right as we risked life and limb during the leading edge ice storm to get apple cider supplies. What, no cardamon?

I was thinking about Thomas throwing away his first vial of Habit Rouge- I wonder if I'll ever come around to Knize 10.

15. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Christmas Eve and a blizzard coming. Creed Millisime Imperial. Its lazy richness and citrus seemed right as we risked life and limb during the leading edge ice storm to get apple cider supplies. What, no cardamon?

I was thinking about Thomas throwing away his first vial of Habit Rouge- I wonder if I'll ever come around to Knize 10.

heh, I gave away my first decant of K10, as well. One spray, and it was instant scrubber for me. Only years later does it start to wear well, and then only very lightly. Even then, it's hardly an every-day scent in terms of wanting to wear it all the time.

16. warlandsboy

warlandsboy Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  17. Hartmann

Hartmann Well-Known Member

Today: Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

Yesterday: Nothing. [​IMG]

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Today some Guerlain Heritage. A decant from the swap-box I jsut got round to trying and I can say WOW, I actually like this stuff!
    Does anyone know if Geurlain has a signature note or accord they use in everything? it somehow reminded me of shalimar or some of their others... something sort of plasticky. In my mind I see a smooth white hard horizontal line.

19. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Yesterday - M7

Today - Narciso Rodriguez Musc Collection

20. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Today some Guerlain Heritage. A decant from the swap-box I jsut got round to trying and I can say WOW, I actually like this stuff!
    Does anyone know if Geurlain has a signature note or accord they use in everything? it somehow reminded me of shalimar or some of their others... something sort of plasticky. In my mind I see a smooth white hard horizontal line.

For a long, long time the signature - called Guerlainade - was a part of most compositions, and iirc it's a vanilla-based composition, a bit animalic (castoreum), and herbal. Recent compositions seem to be diverging from this, though.