• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Papyrus Moleculaire from Maison Crivelli today. Really liked the first hour or so. Damp earth and paper with a sligthly smoky note. Reminded me a little of Bat but softer and easier to wear. Unfortunately it dries down to a pretty boring and generalised sweet and powdery tonka. Anyone who has any experience from this house?

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Le Labo Patchouli 24 once again because it's my favorite time of the year to wear it.

375x500.6332.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Labo Patchouli 24 once again because it's my favorite time of the year to wear it.

375x500.6332.jpg
I'll have to try it...
I have on Santal 33 today.
I never get tired of smelling it, and so far it's the best performance of any of the Le Labo's I have.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I'll have to try it...
I have on Santal 33 today.
I never get tired of smelling it, and so far it's the best performance of any of the Le Labo's I have.
Patchouli 24 can seem a bit off putting at first, but give it a full wear. I love the way it develops into the dark vanilla drydown. I love, love, love the way Annick Menardo works with vanilla, which is a note that I used to really hate. It may be the strongest performer of all of the Le Labos along with Oud 27.

Santal 33 is more conventional and easy to get along with.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patchouli 24 can seem a bit off putting at first, but give it a full wear. I love the way it develops into the dark vanilla drydown. I love, love, love the way Annick Menardo works with vanilla, which is a note that I used to really hate. It may be the strongest performer of all of the Le Labos along with Oud 27.

Santal 33 is more conventional and easy to get along with.
Cool...
I'm at this point on a first name basis with the Le Labo rep, so I'll grab a sample.
I just got in a big bottle of Another 13, which is definitely not conventional.
It smells like a slightly sweet, wet newspaper.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I just got in a big bottle of Another 13, which is definitely not conventional.
It smells like a slightly sweet, wet newspaper.
I'm not really crazy about that one. I really struggle with a lot perfumes that rely heavily on iso e super. I can barely even detect anything much of the time.

Today is Azzaro pour Homme, which is pretty incredible for how cheap it is these days. Hell, my bottle was free, and it was a blind acquisition. Definitely one of my best acquisitions this year.

375x500.829.jpg

shoewarma

Reaction score
I'm not really crazy about that one. I really struggle with a lot perfumes that rely heavily on iso e super. I can barely even detect anything much of the time.

Today is Azzaro pour Homme, which is pretty incredible for how cheap it is these days. Hell, my bottle was free, and it was a blind acquisition. Definitely one of my best acquisitions this year.

375x500.829.jpg
Personally, I like some parts of it, but I think it smells rather cheap and boorish. I find Aramis Tuscany to be a lot better, but that's just me.

Speaking of cheap and boorish, I'm actually wearing Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. I used to dislike this, mainly because of its intense soapiness when smelled up close. But, when it's projecting off of you and you catch random whiffs of it, it's really quite nice. I love the soft floral honey this has, as it really cuts down on the harsh soapiness.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got some Tom Ford Black Orchid (I got it free, along with my usual Terre d'Hermes as a bonus through work)

I kind of like it, but so does the Mrs. What's the score is it really a unisex scent??

Are there two versions??

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I just got some Tom Ford Black Orchid (I got it free, along with my usual Terre d'Hermes as a bonus through work)

I kind of like it, but so does the Mrs. What's the score is it really a unisex scent??

Are there two versions??
I think it is technically a women's fragrance, but it started getting marketed it as unisex, and lots of men do like it and wear it.

There are multiple versions, though they're not for different genders. They're just flankers/different concentrations.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Personally, I like some parts of it, but I think it smells rather cheap and boorish. I find Aramis Tuscany to be a lot better, but that's just me.
I don't find it boorish at all. It's not strong enough. I associate boorishness much more with fragrances like Sauvage and Ombre Leather.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

shoewarma

Reaction score
I don't find it boorish at all. It's not strong enough. I associate boorishness much more with fragrances like Sauvage and Ombre Leather.
Oh, I should clarify that I wasn't referring to obnoxious projection. I don't think it's a matter of projection or scent potency, but rather the quality of ingredients. It's the cheap-smelling musky notes that I find boorish about it. It's that musty, harsh soapy note that smells the way a bar of soap tastes, if you know what I mean. It's an okay scent, but the current stuff on the market is on the sucky side. I wonder how the vintage smells because everyone swears by it... just like all vintages. ?

I agree that Sauvage does suck though. I don't understand the praise for it, but each to his own.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Oh, I should clarify that I wasn't referring to obnoxious projection. I don't think it's a matter of projection or scent potency, but rather the quality of ingredients. It's the cheap-smelling musky notes that I find boorish about it. It's that musty, harsh soapy note that smells the way a bar of soap tastes, if you know what I mean. It's an okay scent, but the current stuff on the market is on the sucky side. I wonder how the vintage smells because everyone swears by it... just like all vintages. ?
See, I like that musky, soapiness, and since it's an eau de toilette, it's not overbearing enough for me to be bothered by the ingredients. If it had more presence, then I might not like it as much. And it's certainly not worth paying very much for it. But what it is for the price point it's at? Nice.

Today is Frederic Malle Music for a While.

375x500.47795.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads