• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very true. I'm no oud expert, but I have learned enough to know the vast majority of so called "oud" marketed fragrances are not using anything close to real oud, not the least TF.

I think Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance explains it well in this Youtube segment on the topic.

I have some stuff on the way from Mellifluence I'm looking forward to smelling.

I like that resinous, smoky scent, but I don't want to smell like pure oud. There is a long history in the Middle East of Agarwood itself being mixed with spices and other aromas as a fragrance.

So if the marketed 'oud' fragrances are really just Agarwood, that's fine with me. Still smells great.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very true. I'm no oud expert, but I have learned enough to know the vast majority of so called "oud" marketed fragrances are not using anything close to real oud, not the least TF.

I think Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance explains it well in this Youtube segment on the topic.

I have some stuff on the way from Mellifluence I'm looking forward to smelling.
Yeah, there was a Wafts from the Loft with Smelly vision where they talk about different ouds from around the world. Very interesting stuff.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Smelled a bunch of TF yesterday at a local Nordys. Not the first time I'm sampled Tom Ford in store, and once again, just struck me as meh. Anyone have a current formulation TF that they really love?
Are we talking Signature line or Private Blend? I only have For Men Extreme, Beau de Jour 2020, and Ombré Leather 2018, but I love them all.

I've been testing my samples of Hermès' men's classics lately, and today's scent is Equipage Geranium. I really like it and the regular Equipage. However, I'm not exactly sure if they have much substance. Admittedly, I kind of enjoy scents lacking depth, but make up for that with quality, style, and likeability. I wouldn't mind having this in my collection, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much for it, as opposed to getting better scents for the same money.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smelled a bunch of TF yesterday at a local Nordys. Not the first time I'm sampled Tom Ford in store, and once again, just struck me as meh. Anyone have a current formulation TF that they really love?

Oud Wood is great, but also fairly straightforward. If you're not into woodiness or the fact that it's Agar and not oud oil, then it might not be for you.

Beau de Jour is one that I bought immediately it came out, because I always like a balanced fougere. With this one, multiple people have told me out of nowhere that they loved the smell. Something about this one seems to work extremely well on my skin, and it's not overpowering at all - it's worth a try if you like a very clean, patchouli + amber base fragrance. Lots of lavender too.

I think Oud Minerale is worth another look as well, especially now that I hear it's being discontinued. This one smells to me like sea spray, smoky wood, and a chilly seashore. It's actually quite nice for the Autumn. You have to spray this one on your skin! It doesn't come out properly on a card.

And of course, I love ******* Fabulous. Cannot fathom how some people dislike this, unless they are offended by the name, which is ridiculous. It's like a sexier and more refined Tuscan Leather, IMO.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking Signature line or Private Blend? I only have For Men Extreme, Beau de Jour 2020, and Ombré Leather 2018, but I love them all.

I've been testing my samples of Hermès' men's classics lately, and today's scent is Equipage Geranium. I really like it and the regular Equipage. However, I'm not exactly sure if they have much substance. Admittedly, I kind of enjoy scents lacking depth, but make up for that with quality, style, and likeability. I wouldn't mind having this in my collection, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much for it, as opposed to getting better scents for the same money.

Smelled mostly Private Blend stuff, but can't be totally sure. Recently picked up a vintage bottle of Hermes Equipage and it's fantastic. If you like geranium, try to find a decant of some vintage Lanvin Geranium D'Espagne, which is incredible, and incredibly rare.

Oud Wood is great, but also fairly straightforward. If you're not into woodiness or the fact that it's Agar and not oud oil, then it might not be for you.

Beau de Jour is one that I bought immediately it came out, because I always like a balanced fougere. With this one, multiple people have told me out of nowhere that they loved the smell. Something about this one seems to work extremely well on my skin, and it's not overpowering at all - it's worth a try if you like a very clean, patchouli + amber base fragrance. Lots of lavender too.

I think Oud Minerale is worth another look as well, especially now that I hear it's being discontinued. This one smells to me like sea spray, smoky wood, and a chilly seashore. It's actually quite nice for the Autumn. You have to spray this one on your skin! It doesn't come out properly on a card.

And of course, I love ******* Fabulous. Cannot fathom how some people dislike this, unless they are offended by the name, which is ridiculous. It's like a sexier and more refined Tuscan Leather, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't sample Beau de Jour so may go back and give it a go.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smelled mostly Private Blend stuff, but can't be totally sure. Recently picked up a vintage bottle of Hermes Equipage and it's fantastic. If you like geranium, try to find a decant of some vintage Lanvin Geranium D'Espagne, which is incredible, and incredibly rare.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't sample Beau de Jour so may go back and give it a go.

Hermes Equipage is also great, for sure.

One thing that I think is behind many of the Private Blends is that they're made for different personalities. They aren't all supposed to suit everyone, and when I smell one or the other I get a clear picture in my mind about 'who would wear this,' etc.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes Equipage is also great, for sure.

One thing that I think is behind many of the Private Blends is that they're made for different personalities. They aren't all supposed to suit everyone, and when I smell one or the other I get a clear picture in my mind about 'who would wear this,' etc.

Got it. Still not convinced the price per ml of TF is reflective of the quality of materials.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. Still not convinced the price per ml of TF is reflective of the quality of materials.

Nothing is perfectly comparable, or else there would be no reason to buy anything that wasn't the most expensive.

TF isn't even that pricey, compared to some others in Europe like Henry Jacques.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put on some Italian Cypress for the first time last week...
My initial thought was, Jeebus Christ this is so good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads