• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with Oud Fleur today. The oud makes a nice balance for the florals and sandalwood.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Givenchy Gentleman today.

I would like to get others' opinions on this fragrance? I have one of the earlier bottles, and to me it just has this musk and patchouli richness that makes it great for more serious occasions, but harder to wear every day than say, a woodier scent. Very French chic.

After some thought, I've decided that I'll probably spring for Bitter Peach and FF in 100ml - just waiting until after New Year's to make sure I don't blow my self-appointed budgets!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh... you'll like it, trust me. It's a great peach fragrance, and it's casual but refined enough to work with a lot of different moods.

I haven't any experience with Italian Cypress, but I also heard it was good and was trying to find it about a year ago.
All three were delivered today.
I love them all. I have some serious rotation game going now...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All three were delivered today.
I love them all. I have some serious rotation game going now...

Nice! I waited too long to get BP in store, but I was intending to shop around when I pick it up anyway, so I can hold off until the holiday season.

Plus, I have a feeling the TF reps might put anything with a scented candle version on sale around New Year's, which is good news for me and that 100ml FF! (love it that much)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I waited too long to get BP in store, but I was intending to shop around when I pick it up anyway, so I can hold off until the holiday season.

Plus, I have a feeling the TF reps might put anything with a scented candle version on sale around New Year's, which is good news for me and that 100ml FF! (love it that much)
I have an Oud Wood candle I've been using everyday.
I did some decants with The Perfumed Court.
They shipped them in a sparkly gift box with a candy on top.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Bitter Peach on the way, also ordered a decant of Italian Cypress. I remember someone raving about that one, and it's discontinued...
Italian Cypress is so, so good. By far my favorite TFPB fragrance, and one I would keep if I had to get down to two fragrances. Where did you get your decant?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italian Cypress is so, so good. By far my favorite TFPB fragrance, and one I would keep if I had to get down to two fragrances. Where did you get your decant?
The Perfumed Court.
I ordered Italian Cypress blind, so today's the first time I've smelled it.
It's fantastic.

Nikos

Reaction score
I went with Oud Fleur today. The oud makes a nice balance for the florals and sandalwood.

I cannot wear this one. Although I like oud, this one smells feminine to me. I prefer Oud Wood, which is very different though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That reminds me of an interesting topic: oud vs agarwood. When the word oud is used many people think it’s the resin that the tree develops to ward off infection and damage. Then there is agarwood, which to me means just the agarwood tree smell. I have a feeling perfumers either use them interchangeably or use agarwood instead of oud to “trick” people into thinking they are getting oud.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another consideration is that many oud fragrances do not have an overwhelming oud scent, just because the actual thing is quite... potent, let's say. Personally, I don't mind oud playing a base or supporting role, because I prefer perfumes with a little more complexity.

As for Oud Fleur, I also happen to prefer Oud Wood or even Oud Minerale to it. I find that I can pull off quite a few fragrances that are the more controversial option, though. I'll take FF over Tuscan Leather, for example, and I can't stand anything too fresh.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well oud has massive variations depending on the terroir, the age, whether it has been farmed or is wild, and finally the distillation process. To say something smells of oud is like saying anything with wheels is a BMW.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well oud has massive variations depending on the terroir, the age, whether it has been farmed or is wild, and finally the distillation process. To say something smells of oud is like saying anything with wheels is a BMW.

Very true. I'm no oud expert, but I have learned enough to know the vast majority of so called "oud" marketed fragrances are not using anything close to real oud, not the least TF.

I think Brandon from Therapeutic Fragrance explains it well in this Youtube segment on the topic.

I have some stuff on the way from Mellifluence I'm looking forward to smelling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads