• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yatagan (vtg) earlier today, still so (pleasantly) weird even after a good deal of experience with it. Really nothing like it out there.

L'Heure Bleue tonight; still getting my head around this one.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
I'm not one to hunt or collect vintages, but I'm actually interested in trying some old Guerlains. Where are you guys finding all these, and how much do you spend on them on average?
I think I paid about $130 for the 7.5 VDN Parfum, 1987 I got recently.

I've been finding a lot of good stuff on Ebay, but always look into the seller's ratings, history on Ebay, and will send questions to tease out their responsiveness and gain additional info on the item(s).

I've also found a few retailers who have selections of some real gems. One of my favorites is The Fragrance Vault - an unlikely location in CA her for an impressive fragrance store but a pretty amazing inventory and some great older stuff.

Etsy also has some great sellers. I haven't looked into selling/trading/buying on Basenotes or other forums...

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you and @patrickBOOTH I have samples of Patchouli 24 and Incendio in the mail. (Or, they will be in the mail later today).

Tauer was all sold out on Twisted Lily's website. I've wanted to try some of their scents for a while :(
There are several great Tauer’s. L’air du Desert Marocain is justly famous, a stunning scent, but I also love Lonestar Memories, Noontide Petals and Une Rose de Kandahar. Recently bought a full bottle of L’air des Alpes Suisses, one of his latest scents. Spicy and fresh, many layers, easy to wear. A summer favourite. Curious about his new frag, Phtaloblue, apparently an aquatic scent, but havent had the chance to sample it yet.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several great Tauer’s. L’air du Desert Marocain is justly famous, a stunning scent, but I also love Lonestar Memories, Noontide Petals and Une Rose de Kandahar. Recently bought a full bottle of L’air des Alpes Suisses, one of his latest scents. Spicy and fresh, many layers, easy to wear. A summer favourite. Curious about his new frag, Phtaloblue, apparently an aquatic scent, but havent had the chance to sampel it yet.
I really like Au Coeur Du Desert.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are several great Tauer’s. L’air du Desert Marocain is justly famous, a stunning scent, but I also love Lonestar Memories, Noontide Petals and Une Rose de Kandahar. Recently bought a full bottle of L’air des Alpes Suisses, one of his latest scents. Spicy and fresh, many layers, easy to wear. A summer favourite. Curious about his new frag, Phtaloblue, apparently an aquatic scent, but havent had the chance to sampel it yet.
I am semi upset because the last time i was in Switzerland was like two weeks before I started to get into fragrances. Idve definitely copped a bottle while in his homeland and now WHO KNOWS WHEN FREE MOVEMENT OF AMERICANS WILL HAPPEN AGAIN

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Domenico Caraceni 1913 (original release) today. Bright rose + frankincense, vaguely barbershop in its ultimate effect though not really note composition.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several great Tauer’s. L’air du Desert Marocain is justly famous, a stunning scent, but I also love Lonestar Memories, Noontide Petals and Une Rose de Kandahar. Recently bought a full bottle of L’air des Alpes Suisses, one of his latest scents. Spicy and fresh, many layers, easy to wear. A summer favourite. Curious about his new frag, Phtaloblue, apparently an aquatic scent, but havent had the chance to sample it yet.
I have been ordering a lot of samples lately, so I would love to check out this house. Having never tried anything from Tauer, are there 5 you, or anyone else, could recommend to dip my toe in?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yatagan (vtg) earlier today, still so (pleasantly) weird even after a good deal of experience with it. Really nothing like it out there.

L'Heure Bleue tonight; still getting my head around this one.
I love L'Heure Bleue. To me it is a grown up version of Apres L'ondee.

I wore a sample of Shalimar EDT yesterday. I have only ever smelled one sample of the edp, but I love it.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been ordering a lot of samples lately, so I would love to check out this house. Having never tried anything from Tauer, are there 5 you, or anyone else, could recommend to dip my toe in?
I'm thinking of ordering a sample set - haven't smelled them in a long time - and research is pointing me to LADDM, Couer du Desert, Rose de Kandahar, Lonestar Memories, and one other, possibly Incense Extreme or Rose Chypree.

I love L'Heure Bleue. To me it is a grown up version of Apres L'ondee.

I wore a sample of Shalimar EDT yesterday. I have only ever smelled one sample of the edp, but I love it.
Yeah the L'HB/AL'O link is very strong; I do like that L'HB comes in EdP strength. Ondee EdT is blink and you miss it.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying Orange Star from Tauer today and I hate it haha, it's like vaporub with maybe some orange.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford Ombre Leather '16 from a sample today; excellent floral-inflected leather evocative of ultraluxe Hermes-type leather goods (or more accurately what I imagine those smell like, never having owned or smelled one) the seats in a new high-end car rather than a baseball mitt, your favorite belt, cowboy boots, whatever. Some of the raspberry from Tuscan Leather but dialed down, with more florals in its place. The top has a bit of a purse-smell/makeup set character, that dies down a little as it goes. As with most TF, pretty linear but extremely strong with excellent longevity. I don't wear it very often, I tend to reach for Aramis or Yatagan when the yen for a leather scent strikes, but nice to have around.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.