• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Do you have the green cap, silver cap, or ribbed bottle version? I recall the silver cap and ribbed bottle versions to be more green and bright as opposed to tobacco-rich. But either way, it was a while back and I seem to be in the minority with regards to the tobacco.
I have a tester bottle, so no idea what color cap :)

But it is from FragranceNet, so current or at minimum recent production. It is definitely bright, though.

Vintage Kouros (Parfums Corp.) yesterday, back to good ol' Mitsouko (layering vintage extrait with current EdP) today. All sorts of good stuff in my cabinet getting ignored but these are standbys.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I have a tester bottle, so no idea what color cap :)

But it is from FragranceNet, so current or at minimum recent production. It is definitely bright, though.
The way the "Guerlain" is stylized would also be an indication. Block letters is more recent, as opposed to the previous packaging which had Guerlain in cursive. Nevertheless, it is still a good scent as it is right now.

II felt like putting on a light application of Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza today. One on the neck, one on each wrist. It can get overwhelming in the first hour if I spray too much around my nose. It's such a fine fragrance. Squeaky clean and bright at first, but it morphs into a spicy clove soap so effortlessly. As close as you could get to classic cologne perfection.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
The way the "Guerlain" is stylized would also be an indication. Block letters is more recent, as opposed to the previous packaging which had Guerlain in cursive. Nevertheless, it is still a good scent as it is right now.

II felt like putting on a light application of Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza today. One on the neck, one on each wrist. It can get overwhelming in the first hour if I spray too much around my nose. It's such a fine fragrance. Squeaky clean and bright at first, but it morphs into a spicy clove soap so effortlessly. As close as you could get to classic cologne perfection.
I have Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme and like it, but definitely reach for the classic 8 times out of 10.

I'll have to give ADP Colonia Essenza another try. I'm pretty sure I've sampled it in-store.

Recently got a sample of their Blue Mediterraneo line's Cedro di Taormina and just ordered a 5oz Tester for cheap. Another excellent one from Francois Demachy that garnered four stars from Luca Turin, and that LVMH I believe discontinued in 2019 just three years after its release. Another LVMH fail.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

shoewarma

Reaction score
The problem with Guerlain Vetiver is that it just doesn't do too well on my skin. After an hour to an hour and a half, it goes down the shitter and does not recover. Some fragrances tend to linger on and pop up unexpectedly. Funny enough, Colonia Essenza tends to do that with me. At least Vetiver Extreme fades at a normal rate. I think the closest equivalent to regular Vetiver would be Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a "listerine" bottle with block lettering, so definitely quite recent.

Funny enough, I wore AdP Assoluta this evening (which is my favorite of the original trio of AdP flankers, I actually like it more than the original!)

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lalique Encre Noir today, my other favorite vetiver. Much more on the rooty, earthy side than Guerlain Vetiver, plus lots of cypress and a healthy slug of Iso E Super. Niche quality, drugstore price, what more do you want?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A ritual that has gone on for a long time is that I buy my father a fragrance for his birthday. He has always enjoyed getting them from me, however this is the first time ever that I am actually "into" fragrances. It is interesting how I am going about thinking about it and approaching it than before. In the past I would go to Sephora and just smell some stuff and pick one. It has been difficult, because I feel a lot of the designer stuff has the same bright hairspray DNA. My father is a real man's man, rides a motorcycle, has a handlebar mustache and tattoos. Finding something at Sephora was kind of challenging, however he never seemed all that picky and was happy to wear what I would get him. In the past I have gotten him I think Gautier, Varvatos, Dior, Tom Ford, Invinctus. More recently I got him Jazz Club by MM, which was the most different from any of them. Two years ago I got him Hwyl by Aesop and that is the only one he actually requested again for last year. If he doesn't want that again, I was thinking getting him a 50ml of Yatagan and a 50ml of Le 3' Homme. The real issue is my mother, if she hates Yatagan then he won't be able to wear it, mind you my father tends to drench himself in the stuff. Le 3' Homme would be fine, but maybe not Yatagan.

The Hwyl was probably the first edp he has had and fairly recently when I was visiting them before an event I sprayed some on myself and he warned me you only need one spray. I almost fell over because he usually closes his eyes and goes to town on his whole face. He put on one spray as well and when I was in the car with my parents my mom, who always has something to say mind you, exclaims "you overdid it with the cologne!!!!!" My poor father had to say, "hey, the kid put some on too!" That shit is strong as hell and let me tell you takes a lot to get out of clothes. The shirt I wore I washed several times and I could still smell it before dry cleaning it to get out the rest. Never have I come across staying power like that.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It could be gunked up. I would try putting some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and cleaning the nozzle really good. I've had this help odd spraying issues on vintage fragrances.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
It's a "listerine" bottle with block lettering, so definitely quite recent.

Funny enough, I wore AdP Assoluta this evening (which is my favorite of the original trio of AdP flankers, I actually like it more than the original!)
I've gotten to really like Assoluta despite it's fairly synthetic character. It's really well done as one would expect from a Duchaufour/JC Ellena collab. I recently sampled the original Colonia and also prefer Assoluta.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Blind purchased a fragrance called Trepak from Alexandria Fragrances. Yana on YouTube reviewed it as a stinky animalic and I usually agree with her stinker recommendations. I can't believe how cheap these fragrances are that I just bought it. $62 for 55ml and extrait! I don't know how they do it, or maybe there's just crazy margins on niche perfume these days. Anyways, I am very curious how it is.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A ritual that has gone on for a long time is that I buy my father a fragrance for his birthday. He has always enjoyed getting them from me, however this is the first time ever that I am actually "into" fragrances. It is interesting how I am going about thinking about it and approaching it than before. In the past I would go to Sephora and just smell some stuff and pick one. It has been difficult, because I feel a lot of the designer stuff has the same bright hairspray DNA. My father is a real man's man, rides a motorcycle, has a handlebar mustache and tattoos. Finding something at Sephora was kind of challenging, however he never seemed all that picky and was happy to wear what I would get him. In the past I have gotten him I think Gautier, Varvatos, Dior, Tom Ford, Invinctus. More recently I got him Jazz Club by MM, which was the most different from any of them. Two years ago I got him Hwyl by Aesop and that is the only one he actually requested again for last year. If he doesn't want that again, I was thinking getting him a 50ml of Yatagan and a 50ml of Le 3' Homme. The real issue is my mother, if she hates Yatagan then he won't be able to wear it, mind you my father tends to drench himself in the stuff. Le 3' Homme would be fine, but maybe not Yatagan.

The Hwyl was probably the first edp he has had and fairly recently when I was visiting them before an event I sprayed some on myself and he warned me you only need one spray. I almost fell over because he usually closes his eyes and goes to town on his whole face. He put on one spray as well and when I was in the car with my parents my mom, who always has something to say mind you, exclaims "you overdid it with the cologne!!!!!" My poor father had to say, "hey, the kid put some on too!" That shit is strong as hell and let me tell you takes a lot to get out of clothes. The shirt I wore I washed several times and I could still smell it before dry cleaning it to get out the rest. Never have I come across staying power like that.
Yout father sounds like a guy that would appreciate Lonestar Memories. But maybe get a sample and test with your mom first. It’s not for the faint of heart.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my search for a nice summer citrus, without bring boring, I came across a new favourite. Fara by Antonio Alessandria. Very nice realistic lemon and a woody drydown. So far so normal but it also has a nice touch of spices, cumin in particular, and an aquatic touch with salt and a faint minty wiff. Very nice, a new warm weather favourite, almost on the level of old favourites like Monsieur Balmain.

Anyone tried any of Alessandria’s other scents?

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would you have any recommendations for a great oud scent? Or is Tom Ford Oud Wood the best one? That's my only reference point and sorry if that last statement is blasphemous haha.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.