• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Le Labo's scents are known for not smelling like the note in their names, I believe. I think of Patchouli 24 as a smoky barbecue thing, and I love it
Apt description. Smoky overtone with a sweet (vanilla?) undertone. I've only tried Patchouli 24 and Santal 33 from the house, but I guess I should try out some more.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Patchouli 24 is my favorite in the Le Labo line and the only one I ended up buying as a full bottle. Agree the opening is a bit aggressive. The scent feels like you're pouring peaty Scotch on yourself. But it's great when you're in the mood for that birch tar scent.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apt description. Smoky overtone with a sweet (vanilla?) undertone. I've only tried Patchouli 24 and Santal 33 from the house, but I guess I should try out some more.
I really like the burnt sage note in the Vetiver 46 which has an incense quality to it. It dries down nicely too a warm patchouli and vetiver.

-DL

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want a more toned-down version of Patchouli 24, you should try Tauer (if you haven't already). Andy Tauer, the perfumer behind the company, makes scents that have a certain theme -- they're often dry and smokey. They feel masculine, but not in that bombastic 1980s way.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is probably his most famous scent. Luca Turin wore it at his wedding. The scent is supposed to evoke the feeling of a dry desert. I also like Lonestar Memories, which reminds me of smoked beef jerky.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bvlgari Black is the designer version of Patchouli 24. Both were created by Annick Menardo. I imagine Le Labo telling Menardo, "Make something that smells kind of like Black, but don't worry about having it appeal to a mainstream audience."

Nikos

Reaction score
I had the chance to try Bois du Portugal today, and it smells exactly as you would expect based on its looks: a masculine, soapy fragrance, with strong citrus and wood notes. Classic cologne, definitely not a fragrance for younger men.

karmaguy

Reaction score
If you want a more toned-down version of Patchouli 24, you should try Tauer (if you haven't already). Andy Tauer, the perfumer behind the company, makes scents that have a certain theme -- they're often dry and smokey. They feel masculine, but not in that bombastic 1980s way.

L'Air du Desert Marocain is probably his most famous scent. Luca Turin wore it at his wedding. The scent is supposed to evoke the feeling of a dry desert. I also like Lonestar Memories, which reminds me of smoked beef jerky.
As someone who grew up on a ranch in the middle of AZ, lonestar memories smells a lot like life from ages 0-15. I love LADM but lonestar memories just hits certain random pieces of my experienced life and I love it for that.

Tauer in general is probably my go-to perfumer (other than whoever Malle is trusting).

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who grew up on a ranch in the middle of AZ, lonestar memories smells a lot like life from ages 0-15. I love LADM but lonestar memories just hits certain random pieces of my experienced life and I love it for that.

Tauer in general is probably my go-to perfumer (other than whoever Malle is trusting).
Lone star memories is a masterpiece, I thought of Texas walker ranger immediately when I wore it. I think the flankers of lonesome rider and au coeur du desert for LSM and LADDM are quite decent but may be great perfumes on their own if not for the heights achieved by LSM and LADDM

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FM Rose & Cuir - I smell the rose more than the leather and not too feminine. Great longevity.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I checked out a shop called Fueguia a few days ago. Amazing presentation and a wall of guitars on display, which were the owners (who lives in Milan). The SA was a cool lady. There were so many fragrances that it was a bit overwhelming to get a sense of a lot of them. Many of them, while nice, only have about 3 notes in them, one which dominates and the others that will vary slightly. That said there are large categories of scents, with slight variations. A lot of them nice, but I can't help but feel you can achieve a similar outcome by just wearing an essential oil of one of their base notes. I got a couple of samples, but I do feel they are somewhat one dimensional.

I went to Frederic Malle down the street and it couldn't have been a more opposite experience. Very curated, and to me their fragrances have more depth to them and are a bit more elegant. I like French Lover a lot, but it just makes me think of @TheFoo and I can't shake that. I enjoyed vetiver extraordinare, une fleur de cassie, and portrait of a lady very much. I am still in a new space with fragrance, where I enjoy so many smells, but I just don't know what I want to actually wear. I just love the depth of my Mitsouko so much, it is hard to break away from.

Question: where do you guys apply your fragrance? I usually spray it on my chest before putting on my undershirt then dress shirt. That said it stays pretty close to me and people haven't commented on my newly wearing fragrance. Maybe this is a good thing?

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically do one spray on my wrist and one spray on my neck. But it depends a bit on the fragrance and the setting. One spray is probably better for the office. Chest is good if you want to be subtle, too.

Been working my way back through some samples. Last night was MFK Oud Satin Mood extrait. That stuff is so good, but I'm having a hard time justifying dropping 275 euros on a bottle.

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Reaction score
Question: where do you guys apply your fragrance? I usually spray it on my chest before putting on my undershirt then dress shirt. That said it stays pretty close to me and people haven't commented on my newly wearing fragrance. Maybe this is a good thing?
This is what I do except I don't where an undershirt. Yes it's a good thing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.