• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nikos

Reaction score
I think it is one of the best looking Creeds, but haven't had the chance to try it. I also like the bottle of Nanban which was mentioned recently.

Given the recent bashing of Bond No.9, I tried their Scent of Peace today, and was pleasantly surprised. It is a masculine fragrance, with fruit and woody notes. Probably their tackiest bottle though.

hendrix

Ill-proportioned
Reaction score
It's one of the better creed bottles I just hate that logo.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Twistedly Lily is having a 30% off promotion. I think this is the biggest sale I've seen them do outside of their Parfum1 store.

30% off with code THIRTYOFF. Also free shipping on orders over $75.

If anyone wants a suggestion, Parfums de Nicolai is well done almost across the entire line

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying another sample from Lucky Scent today. This one is from Xinu, which is a line based out of Mexico (I think Mexico City?). I feel like you don't often hear about Mexican perfumers, so I thought this one would be interesting. They also use really nice looking bottles (perhaps some of the best I've seen).

78602.jpg

Xinu's Copola is based on copola resin, which the company says that indigenous people in Central American burn as incense. While looking up reviews online, I found a Mexican woman who said her mother made her burned copola resin in her home when she first moved in, presumably to ward away bad spirits.

This smells good. It's resinous, ever so slightly smokey, and has a mix of pink peppery, bay leaf, cinnamon, and vanilla. It's woody and incense-y, but also soft and slightly sweet. Very unisex. A bit oriental in that it smells like a spice market (that bay leaf and cinnamon accord really dominates).

In a weird way, it smells a little bit like one of those masculine scents that markets itself as "being out of in the woods." The ones that smell salty, heavy with pine and tar, and feels very "outdoorsman" like. This one is smoother and just a little bit more feminine, which makes it unisex. More interesting; less literal "pine forest by the seaside."

Thinking back to yesterday's Indult Tihota, I realize that I don't have many realistic vanilla fragrances because, often, I find the single note is more interesting when it's mixed into something else, like it is here. Tihota is very literal and linear. Again, it's like smelling a freshly broken vanilla pod with just a touch of booze and parchment paper. Copola mixes in spies and incense, and it has the usual opening, mid, and basenotes transition. For $200+ bottles, I feel like you could do Eau de Beaux as your literal vanilla for $20 (or whatever it costs nowadays) and then save your money for something more interesting. At the dry down, Tihota and Eau de Beaux resolve into something pretty darn similar anyway.

Both Copola and Tihota are terrific vanillic fragrances though.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twistedly Lily is having a 30% off promotion. I think this is the biggest sale I've seen them do outside of their Parfum1 store.

If anyone wants a suggestion, Parfums de Nicolai is well done almost across the entire line

IIRC they have a lot of sample sets too.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went into a Sephora today to smell some smells. I didn't enjoy most of them. Some of the classics were nice though like Chanel. The designer stuff mostly has that generic "perfume" quality to them. I would think big brands are trying to appeal to the most amount of buyers so they are all pretty safe. More niche perfume shops have more unique stuff, but I would imagine could be more polarizing for the average person. I could be wrong about all of this, however.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went into a Sephora today to smell some smells. I didn't enjoy most of them. Some of the classics were nice though like Chanel. The designer stuff mostly has that generic "perfume" quality to them. I would think big brands are trying to appeal to the most amount of buyers so they are all pretty safe. More niche perfume shops have more unique stuff, but I would imagine could be more polarizing for the average person. I could be wrong about all of this, however.
Seems fair enough as a generalization. Not a hard rule but a lot of designer stuff does have that kind of generic "smells nice but so what?" quality. Sephora does carry Margiela, though, which I rather like (but frequently hear people saying they think it smells too synthetic).

Meanwhile I blind bought Guerlain Vetiver to qualify for free shipping on an order, and it arrived today. Seems nice so far, about what I expected. It's one of those that you realize you've smelled before but didn't know the name of.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any recommendations for bay rum scents?

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score

Unfortunately this is a going out of business sale so you may see further reductions

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a going out of business sale so you may see further reductions
Damn, that's really sad to hear.

I was browsing around their site and noticed that some categories were empty, such as certain brand categories. I was wondering if it may be a going-out-of-business sale, but didn't want to presume.

That's a real bummer. They are/ were my favorite fragrance shop.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I was a fan as well. I think the occasional sale was always good for the store in the long run. It got me to check in on what was new when they weren’t running a promotion. I didn’t get anything when the first promo-code came out as I’m pretty content with what I have but am going to grab a bunch of those Monsillage soaps for myself and gifts. That lady makes quality products.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
TL’s demise is sad but not entirely unexpected. I imagine it’s tough to run a brick and mortar store that competes with discounters like Fragrancenet.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's just really hard to justify spending $250 on a fragrance when you know you can buy it off a grey market site for $150. I know there's that specter of "oh it could be a fake or stored improperly or something" buying from them but I've never had an issue. I guess I've given LuckyScent plenty of business buying samples, though, which I imagine is very lucrative given the price per ml.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like most of the scents at Lucky Scent and Twisted Lily aren't really available on the grey market. With some exceptions, of course. Serge Lutens is at Twisted Lily, and can be easily found on sites such as Fragrance Net. But most of these places trade in very niche lines.

Just browsing TL's brand list: DS Durga, Carlen, Dasein, Timothy Han (a favorite), Helmut Lang, Nasomatto, Imaginary Authors, Nebbia, Neadertal, Zoology, Nicholai, etc.

Lucky Scent is even more niche.

That said, a guy can only have so many bottles. Even a single 50ml bottle will last you for a very long time. I feel like most people, at some point, slow down on how much they buy. The market needs to find new customers with empty dressers, which is similar to the problem in clothing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.