• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you all wear when you're in the mood for something that's very straight-forwardly masculine? I find myself reaching for Terre d'Hermes at those times, but I can imagine that everybody's picture of masculine is different. Been thinking of adding something heavily Oud or Leather based for those times.
TFPB Italian Cypress, which is sadly discontinued. Smells like a fresher version of Polo Green, which is also a good choice for a straightforward masculine scent.

Alocin

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you all wear when you're in the mood for something that's very straight-forwardly masculine? I find myself reaching for Terre d'Hermes at those times, but I can imagine that everybody's picture of masculine is different. Been thinking of adding something heavily Oud or Leather based for those times.
Usually TF Tobacco Oud even though it can be a little sweet.
-Orchid Man
-CdG wonder wood
-Milky musk

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Masculine scents.

Funny, I always reach for Terre d'Hermes when I'm looking for something particularly masculine, too.

It might be a bit banal, but another couple that come to mind would be Green Irish Tweed and Aventus.

Staples such as Bleu de Chanel et Dior Homme for me still seem to have a hint of femininity to them.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today there are hardly any scents that are straight-forward masculine or feminine. Most ouds are unisex, just as an example. So for a straight-forward masculine I would have to reach for the classics, such as Caron Pour un homme or Yatagan, Guerlain Derby or Monsieur Balmain.

Nikos

Reaction score
Tom Ford Oud Wood or Creed Original Vetiver for me. Completely different, but both very masculine.

On another, much less masculine note, I tried some Byredos (Black Saffron, Gypsy, Bal d'Afrique, Super Cedar) and Bal d'Afrique was the clear winner. Very unisex but excellent. I was told it is their best seller and I understand why. Also a big compliment getter from the ladies.

I went for Byredo because I already own Sunday Cologne and I enjoy it. It is a balanced, calming woody fragrance.

Nikos

Reaction score
Usually TF Tobacco Oud even though it can be a little sweet.
-Orchid Man
-CdG wonder wood
-Milky musk
I second Wonderwood. I don't own it but have tried it a few times and really like it.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TFPB Italian Cypress, which is sadly discontinued. Smells like a fresher version of Polo Green, which is also a good choice for a straightforward masculine scent.
I love that one. I buy the decants. Wonder why it was discontinued.

shoewarma

Reaction score
I have a number of very stereotypically masculine fragrances, but each gives me a different vibe or feel. I go for:

Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense
Lalique Pour Homme
Guerlain Heritage
Guerlain Vetiver Extreme
Davidoff Zino
Floris 1962
Frederic Malle French Lover

You should try Floris 1962. It's very similar to Italian Cypress, but less robust and leathery. Doesn't feel as dense and harsh, and it's easily more versatile. I much prefer this one to Tom Ford's, and the price is definitely more justifiable.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There should be many options if you like citrus colognes. I think you would like Aqua di Parma. Also maybe Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. I have read good things about Monsieur Balmain, but haven't tried it.
I picked up a bottle of Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi. The Neroli Portofino was nice but I found it a bit too sweet and the Mandarino a bit more masculine. It was a 1A 1B decision. And I gotta say....big fan after one day of wear. So, anyway, your advice was good. I will still check out your Creed recomendation when I get up near the mall where it is stocked.

Nikos

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi. The Neroli Portofino was nice but I found it a bit too sweet and the Mandarino a bit more masculine. It was a 1A 1B decision. And I gotta say....big fan after one day of wear. So, anyway, your advice was good. I will still check out your Creed recomendation when I get up near the mall where it is stocked.
Glad you found one you like. I have tried Mandarino and I agree, it smells nice. I actually bought this for my brother.
However, stay away from TF's Venetian Bergamot, which smells nothing at all like Bergamot. Also, apparently bergamot doesn't even grow in Venice.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was in college I wore some crap from Sephora. Back then there was this facebook app called Honesty Box where people could write comments about you anonymously. I got one that said "you're really cute, but you wear too much cologne." Ever since then I have turned away from fragrances. Recently I began to take an interest and am enjoying the journey. I am wearing vintage Gerlain Mitsouko.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
When I was in college I wore some crap from Sephora. Back then there was this facebook app called Honesty Box where people could write comments about you anonymously. I got one that said "you're really cute, but you wear too much cologne." Ever since then I have turned away from fragrances. Recently I began to take an interest and am enjoying the journey. I am wearing vintage Gerlain Mitsouko.
Welcome back to the fragrance journey. When I was in college FB didn't even exist. I remember wearing Kourous, the original Polo green, Halston, Kenzo. After college, when RL Safari came out I was hooked. Grad school was Chanel Pour Monsieur and Guerlain Heritage - great frags for evening drinks at the Ritz in Boston.

Then I took a long hiatus from fragrances and a few years ago also rekindled my interests.

It's been a really enjoyable rediscovery and diving way deeper now.

Today wearing the incredible Oakmoss from La Via Del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar. The only all-natural perfumer house Luca Turin has bothered to publish reviews of.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 82 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 152 32.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 137 29.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 53 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 24 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 10 2.1%