1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

arrived in grey cold damp Toronto

Timothy Han On the Road. I've come to like this fragrance a lot and am considering a bottle

2. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Might have to try this one - I love birch tar fragrances.

3. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Today I'm wearing Rochas Lui, one of the few fragrances that amazes me every time I wear it - with its beauty, balance, and longevity. It's a classic eau de cologne style with a longevity stretched out to twelve hours with a perfect amount of vanilla and cedarwood.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Today I'm wearing Moss Breches, one of the original set of Tom Ford Private Blends that were discontinued pretty quickly.

5. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior Member

One too many sprays of Oud Palao this morning. I don’t have anything else that performs like this perfume.

6. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Oudn Palao is powerful stuff and becomes a powder bomb on me if I use more than one spray.

7. L'Incandescent

500 Years by ELDO for me today.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

Neandertal's Dark: A nice woody scent that mixes cedar, pine, and unexpectedly, black rubber. There are some hints of grassy vetiver, ginger, caraway, seaweed (salty hints), incense, amber, leather, pink pepper, and patchouli all mixed in here. It's herbaceous, forest-y, leathery, and weirdly tar-like. Sort of feels like a woody, pine-needle flanker on Bulgari's Black.

A nice scent, but I can't get over the $250 price tag. On the one hand, I feel like, at some point, a good collection should have a limited enough number of bottles where price (mostly) doesn't matter. On the other hand, I also think uber-expensive perfumes are mostly BS. I suppose if you have uber-rare or expensive natural ingredients, it's justifiable, but the most sensible thing I've read on expensive perfumes is this paragraph from an old post at Luca Turin's blog.

"I was in el expensivo Zurich recently and a journalist asked me what I thought was a reasonable price for a perfume. Mindful of the old days, when I could buy two years’ supply of Brut (complete with nitro musks) for what would today be $30, and mentally adjusting for inflation, I replied that the price of a dinner for two with a decent bottle of wine in a decent restaurant was about the upper limit for me, so let’s say $120 or so for 100 ml of EdP or a half ounce of proper extrait. To my mind everything way above that, e.g. Lutens’ Section d’Or and a swelling host of others, are simply sad jokes perpetrated on sad sacks. And if anybody tells you that the exquisite raw materials upped the price, just laugh. Niche perfumery stands a good chance of disappearing up its own rear end if it merely becomes yet another golden opportunity to rip off the customer. To be sure, natural materials are going up in price because there is more demand. But bear in mind that formula cost in all but a handful of fragrances is less than 10% of sales price. Don’t give these people your cash: get a decant and smell that $50/kg woody amber first."

9. papillo

papillo Senior Member

10. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I've always had a visceral rejection of fragrances which cost over $200, knowing that there's just not enough raw materials out there that could even come close to justifying the price. Hell, I visited Satori in Tokyo, who showed me her tub of orris butter, which costs over seventy thousand dollars per kilogram - this is the same stuff she puts in her Iris Homme, and that only costs $180 per 50mL. There's people like her, Andy Tauer, and Bruno Fazzolari who are true artists, making their own fragrances which bear their name and made from the best ingredients they can get their hands on and charging a fraction of most of the exclusive "niche" lines that are either owned by LVMH or have a creative director that wants to put more money into bottle design than the fragrance itself.

11. L'Incandescent

Lilac Love by Amouage. Not really lilac, but still quite pleasant.