1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

^^ I enjoy that one a lot.

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

Tauer L'oudh. I don't know where this falls on the spectrum of oud funkiness but I like it

3. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Today I’m wearing Skive by J. Hannah, a very dry and bitter incense/leather/tobacco which is right up my alley.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

I would say somewhat more than averagely funky as oud scents go. I like L'Oudh a lot.

Today I'm wearing Arabian Wood by Tom Ford. This is one of the PBs that's sort of gone down the memory hole, but it's quite nice. It starts out very sharp and green--galbanum I assume--and develops from there into a pleasant waxy, slightly sweet floral. I am not a big fan of galbanum, so I don't love the top, but the drydown makes it worth it. I got a compliment on it just as soon as I arrived at work. I don't think I've ever been complimented on this one before.

5. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I’m going to pull out my Arabian Wood sample tomorrow and wear it again. It’s been years.

Edit - Wearing it for a couple of hours now and I'm not feeling it. You know when you open a packet or container of Kool Aid or something like that and there's this powdery smell? That's what I get.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019

6. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

Zegna acqua di bergamotto. All too brief. Stays a bit better on my shirt.

7. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

Has anyone tried Slumberhouse Pear & Olive? Sounds like something you would rather have with cheese but maybe it could be a nice S/S scent?

8. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Distinguished Member

Pear and olive smelled pretty sweet on me. Don't know if that's what you're going for.

Wearing Bruno Nero today. Like black afgano except enormous

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

Most Slumberhouse scents are too much. Pear and Olive is too sweet. Shame, because pear is an underrated scent (and underrated fruit in general).

10. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

I agree that Slumberhouse can be over the top but I enjoy a few of them, especially Norne and Baque. In both cases you need to spray them on a while before you actually meet other people. But the drydowns are lovely.

If Pear & Olive is only sweet I'm not interested. Was hoping for a little nuance as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

11. gfmozart

gfmozart Distinguished Member

I think acqua di bergamotto is a much more dilute version of Zegna's Italian Bergamot which is far far more impressive and really very natural and very impressive smelling.

12. gfmozart

i smelled the Gucci's Alchemist's garden series recently. It didn't come across as very impressive. nice simple but a little boring for the prices they are asking for.

13. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

@gfmozart spot on. This was one of my first blind full bottle buys when i started getting into fragrances and wanted to see if I liked the notes I thought I would like (thus started cheap). Maybe I'll give it away.

14. gfmozart

i wouldn't give it away. I'll just overspray the cheapie on days when i feel like i don't want to splurge fragrance wise. most people can't really discern the difference on days when you use acqua di bergamotto as compared to the days you use italian bergamot. It is also the reason why I just bought the Mont Blanc Explorer ( EDP though ). The big commercial mass market Aventus clone ( or some say Aventus + dior Sauvage ). it does smell quite nice even if a tad artificial.

15. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

I almost feel guilty when wearing Aventus or Dior Sauvage; nothing else even comes close to garnering as many compliments, maybe GIT.