1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Ouarzazate is nice. In my opinion it's the berry notes that really make it work. I think it would be unremarkable otherwise.

2. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior Member

Tried a sample of Mefisto Gentiluomo by Casamorati over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I’m sure I can search around and find something close to it for less but don’t really care to invest the time. I don’t own anything in this category and it lifted my mood.

3. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I have a bottle of this and really like it while it lasts. It has a frustratingly short lifespan on me, though.

4. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

Miller Harris - Fleurs de sel. Doesn't project much from my dab sample and the top notes dont' stick around long enough for me to consider this something I would purchase. It dries down to a rather generic powdery soft floral too quickly. Inoffensive, at least.

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

I noticed the same thing. It completely vanished after several hours.

6. Big Pun

Big Pun Distinguished Member

Opium EdT. Nice to use in the winter. I used to own almost every YSL cologne for men then sold most of them. Kicking myself for that when I see the prices for the discontinued ones

7. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

The original or the one for men?

8. sood

sood Distinguished Member

tried Sisley eau de campagne -- don't have the sophisticated vocabulary of this thread to describe it but it is very fresh (good for spring maybe) starts strong but settles down nicely.

9. L'Incandescent

I'm wearing The Night by Frederic Malle. There are a number of oud scents that I really love, but this one is the best. It's a very barnyardy oud with a beautiful rose note that emerges a bit later in the drydown.

10. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

Papillon Salome. I like it because it lives up to its name. I smell like a dangerous first-century dancer.

11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

actually, what i'll probably wear in spring: ds & durga's debaser. fig, coconut, tonka bean, and white woods. very sweet and creamy. im wearing it today and really like it, but can also imagine it going with things i want to wear this spring.

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Damn, good for you to wear this fragrance, junior. It ain't exactly easy.

Today, I'm wearing Ormond Jayne Black Gold. I always think of the opening to the Beverly Hillbillies when I use or talk about this fragrance.

13. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

It's lovely, but boy is it pricey. I need to get into a more lucrative line of work (drugs, arms, conflict diamonds, trafficking...) to afford that on a regular basis.

14. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

When I started getting into perfumes I went through a classics phase (I think most enthusiasts do). But then you realise that many of them smell old fashioned today or have been re-formulated beyond recognition or that other makers have done the same thing but better (or at least more contemporary), and you keep a few of your favourite discoveries and move back to the present.

But now I find myself going back to some of the classics again. I really don't want to be the guy that searches for vintage editions on shady internet forums just to be able to say stuff like "yes, Bandit is a women's perfume but if you try the original formula I think you'll find that it's one of the best chypres for men as well". But then someone finds a vintage (my guess is late 70s early 80s) bottle of Caron Pour un Homme and I can't resist. I find lavenders really difficult to pull off but combined with vanilla and the surprisingly aggressive musk (a smell like play-doh and urine), it's just lovely. For the grown-up man.

15. L'Incandescent

As a university professor in the humanities, I can afford multiple backup bottles of The Night without even feeling the pinch. (Not actually true. I buy little decants.)

I suspect this might be a minority opinion here, but in most cases wearing the classics feels like the perfume equivalent of wearing a costume. It's hard for me to focus on the quality of the perfume because the dominant impression I get is just how dated it seems. Luckily I enjoy contemporary scents much more than the vintage ones anyway.