1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

@dieworkwear: Have you tried Le Labo Patchouli 24? That’s the niche version of Bvlgari Black, what Annick Menardo composed when she wasn’t constrained by the need to appeal to mainstream noses. In my opinion, P24 is the star of the Le Labo lineup, although it’s a little too weird to be FBW for me.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

yea, i really like that one too! have a bottle. it's just a little heavy, so i don't wear it as often.

3. karmaguy

karmaguy Senior Member

This has been asked before I’m guessing but what’s everyone’s favorite (one pick!) spring scent ?

4. dieworkwear

I feel like my mind isn't really there yet and I'll probably wear something different, but I'm looking forward to wearing my bottle of Butch Femme by Carlen Parfums. It smells like ... pho. Literally pho, although if you want to break it down into fragrance notes, it's neroli, lemon, basil, black pepper, and sandalwood. But really -- it's pho.

Who would want to smell like pho? Absolutely me.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

If I had to pick one, it would be Secrets du Paradis Rouge by Jul et Mad. It's a slightly bitter but also honey sweet orange blossom and almond scent.

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

trying papillon tobacco rose. all i hear is shania twain singing, "man, i smell like a woman."

my wife says i smell good one minute and then gross the next. she is generally baffled by this entire scent experiment project (she never wears fragrances).

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Stylish Dinosaur

I know this answer is basic AF, but I still love Creed GIT.

8. dieworkwear

rose, violet, and iris are commonly disliked among men, as fragrance notes, because they smell feminine. rose is commonly used in classic perfumery, especially those worn by women from an older generation, hence the association. violet and iris are also similar to the notes found in women's cosmetics, hence why so many people say those types of fragrances remind them of a woman's make-up bag.

i think the samples you picked up include some of the more challenging scents.

9. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Hard to say since San Francisco’s climate is on a mood-stabilizing drug. I’d say Annick Goutal Les Nuits d’Hadrian if I had to choose one.

10. DiplomaticTies

DiplomaticTies Distinguished Member

Fazzolari’s Five

11. L'Incandescent

Today I'm wearing Indochine by Parfumerie Generale. It's a very sticky, resinous scent with a woody note that is in the ballpark of sandalwood, but darker. PG is one of those houses I tend to overlook, but I've enjoyed nearly everything I've tried by them.

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

One of my favorite irises is from this house: Iris Taizo, which is actually perfect, like much from this line, for this time of the year; it’s an extremely cozy iris.

Today I ended up wearing Comme des Garçons Sugi, which is a very green and somewhat bitter non-pine evergreen - it’s almost gin-like. I like to wear my woody fragrances on Sundays since the types I prefer within this style of fragrance are more austerely woody, more simple, and more straightforward in their “message”, so they fit this day of the week for me.

13. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

REALLY enjoying Ava Luxe's Johri. Here's the description:
    Opening top notes of crisp Italian lemon - fresh Sicilian bergamot, and spicy Chinese pepper blossom ... followed by green fig, Virginia cedar, sandalwood, coconut milk, tonka bean, vanilla, and white musk.
    NOTES: Green Fig, Sicilian Lemon, Chinese Pepper Blossom, Galbanum, Coconut Milk, Cedar Virginia, Sandalwood, Tonka, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk

And it's pretty accurate. It's got a bright, citrusy and sharp opening and then it mellows out into a soft, comfortable scent. Even after a sweaty workout there's still a couple inches of projection and the white musk isn't headache-inducing (which happens to me sometimes). If Tabak Kretek reminded me of something Slumberhouse would put out, the tasteful blend of fig, sandalwood, coconut milk, tonka, and vanilla in Johri reminds me of Diptyque's Philosykos, except I greatly prefer this and can smell the fig better here. Maybe not best for the most humid days of summer, but a warm weather fragrance for sure. If/when I buy full bottles from Ava Luxe, I'll be ordering one of Johri in addition to Cafe Noir. And every AL fragrance I've tried has excellent longevity!

14. L'Incandescent

Villoresi Musk for me today. This has been in my short list of favorites for many years now. It's a dusty potpourri rose and musk scent.

15. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

CdG Incense Ouarzazate. Which did not strike me as a "challenging" scent in the least, and thus seemed appropriate for a day of getting an oil change at the car dealer and meeting with students.

Scare quotes used to distance myself from a life of such decadence that the scent of rose or cumin or whatever can be said to constitute a challenge. My defensiveness obviously arising from the fact that my life is relatively unchallenging.