• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I'm wearing Indochine by Parfumerie Generale. It's a very sticky, resinous scent with a woody note that is in the ballpark of sandalwood, but darker. PG is one of those houses I tend to overlook, but I've enjoyed nearly everything I've tried by them.

One of my favorite irises is from this house: Iris Taizo, which is actually perfect, like much from this line, for this time of the year; it’s an extremely cozy iris.

Today I ended up wearing Comme des Garçons Sugi, which is a very green and somewhat bitter non-pine evergreen - it’s almost gin-like. I like to wear my woody fragrances on Sundays since the types I prefer within this style of fragrance are more austerely woody, more simple, and more straightforward in their “message”, so they fit this day of the week for me.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
REALLY enjoying Ava Luxe's Johri. Here's the description:
Opening top notes of crisp Italian lemon - fresh Sicilian bergamot, and spicy Chinese pepper blossom ... followed by green fig, Virginia cedar, sandalwood, coconut milk, tonka bean, vanilla, and white musk.
NOTES: Green Fig, Sicilian Lemon, Chinese Pepper Blossom, Galbanum, Coconut Milk, Cedar Virginia, Sandalwood, Tonka, Bourbon Vanilla, White Musk

And it's pretty accurate. It's got a bright, citrusy and sharp opening and then it mellows out into a soft, comfortable scent. Even after a sweaty workout there's still a couple inches of projection and the white musk isn't headache-inducing (which happens to me sometimes). If Tabak Kretek reminded me of something Slumberhouse would put out, the tasteful blend of fig, sandalwood, coconut milk, tonka, and vanilla in Johri reminds me of Diptyque's Philosykos, except I greatly prefer this and can smell the fig better here. Maybe not best for the most humid days of summer, but a warm weather fragrance for sure. If/when I buy full bottles from Ava Luxe, I'll be ordering one of Johri in addition to Cafe Noir. And every AL fragrance I've tried has excellent longevity!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Villoresi Musk for me today. This has been in my short list of favorites for many years now. It's a dusty potpourri rose and musk scent.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CdG Incense Ouarzazate. Which did not strike me as a "challenging" scent in the least, and thus seemed appropriate for a day of getting an oil change at the car dealer and meeting with students.

Scare quotes used to distance myself from a life of such decadence that the scent of rose or cumin or whatever can be said to constitute a challenge. My defensiveness obviously arising from the fact that my life is relatively unchallenging.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ouarzazate is nice. In my opinion it's the berry notes that really make it work. I think it would be unremarkable otherwise.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Tried a sample of Mefisto Gentiluomo by Casamorati over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I’m sure I can search around and find something close to it for less but don’t really care to invest the time. I don’t own anything in this category and it lifted my mood.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
CdG Incense Ouarzazate. Which did not strike me as a "challenging" scent in the least, and thus seemed appropriate for a day of getting an oil change at the car dealer and meeting with students.

I have a bottle of this and really like it while it lasts. It has a frustratingly short lifespan on me, though.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Miller Harris - Fleurs de sel. Doesn't project much from my dab sample and the top notes dont' stick around long enough for me to consider this something I would purchase. It dries down to a rather generic powdery soft floral too quickly. Inoffensive, at least.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opium EdT. Nice to use in the winter. I used to own almost every YSL cologne for men then sold most of them. Kicking myself for that when I see the prices for the discontinued ones

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opium EdT. Nice to use in the winter. I used to own almost every YSL cologne for men then sold most of them. Kicking myself for that when I see the prices for the discontinued ones

The original or the one for men?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm wearing The Night by Frederic Malle. There are a number of oud scents that I really love, but this one is the best. It's a very barnyardy oud with a beautiful rose note that emerges a bit later in the drydown.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
actually, what i'll probably wear in spring: ds & durga's debaser. fig, coconut, tonka bean, and white woods. very sweet and creamy. im wearing it today and really like it, but can also imagine it going with things i want to wear this spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics