1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Distinguished Member

I haven't (hadn't) worn any fragrances for well over a decade, and all I knew back then were mall brands. On a whim, I decided to try out some of these niche fragrances you guys talk about. Skimmed this thread and ordered a bunch of samples from Lucky Scent.

My initial trial run was Areej le Dore's Baikal Gris. I felt like I smelled like a rich old woman from the Upper East Side surrounded by musty antiques. (I don't know a top note from a power bottom or oud from patchouli, so this is what my descriptions will sound like.) Which I found fairly pleasing. I didn't wear Byredo Bibliotheque after giving it quick sniff and realizing it didn't smell anything like a library and smelled somewhat off-putting. (To be honest, I only added it to my cart because dieworkwear pooh poohed the brand and I wanted to be a contrarian).

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

thats what you get

3. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

The last few days I’ve been wearing some powerful stank: Wednesday was Montale Aoud Cuir d’Arabie, yesterday was some vintage Kouros which I recently bought off eBay, and today was Tyrannosaurus Rex.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

J'ai fait un rêve--clair by Majda Bekkali. It opens up very cedary, but that only lasts a few minutes. From there it becomes a bright, slightly metallic cumin scent that dries down to musk and sweet elemi and labdanum. It's not especially unusual, but it's pleasant.

5. erictheobscure

not gonna lie: as a scent novice I am baffled that cumin (or something reminiscent of it) is a regular component of fragrances. I cook with cumin. It smells exactly like bad B.O.

6. L'Incandescent

If you judged solely by this thread, you would guess that cumin is a hundred times more common a note in perfumes than it really is. A lot of the regulars here like to wear "challenging" scents.

Many of my very favorite perfumes feature cumin heavily. The note definitely has a smell reminiscent of B.O.

7. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Hmm, regular component? My experience is that it’s pretty infrequent and that a lot of people share your feelings about how it smells. Leenkadessen loves it because it’s a salacious counterbalance to his floral shirts and pink pants.

8. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I think I’ll wear Papillon Anubis today - I love its bone-dry resins softened by vanillic leather. It’s a very comforting scent.

9. erictheobscure

i'm trying etat libre d'orange une amourette roland mouret. i don't really get why i'd want to smell like this. smells like a company tried to produce a high-end industrial cleaning product that then achieved minor cult status because rich disaffected teens started drinking it in half-hearted suicide attempts.

10. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Etat Libre d’Orange is definitely hit and mostly miss for me. I really like their Je Suis un Homme, though.

11. erictheobscure

oh i see

cumin cologne is only for louche sex addicts

12. L'Incandescent

The new Les Fleurs de Déchet by Etat Libre is really fantastic. It features a crisp, bright apple and develops from there into a pleasant floral. I'm looking forward to trying the brand new Etat Libres--500 Years and Spice Must Flow. Both look very interesting. FWIW, the standouts in the ELDO lineup in my opinion are Jasmin et Cigarette, Like This, True Lust, Attaquer le Soleil, Afternoon of a Faun, and Tom of Finland. My gf of fiancée really likes You or Someone Like You.

13. losrockets

losrockets Distinguished Member

So far I've enioyed Ava Luxe Kama and Tabak Kretek. The former isn't as feminine or stanky as I expected, I will try to wear it out next week. The latter is excellent - I've never had or smelled a clove cigarette before but this is exactly how I'd imagine it. The rich cool clove opening blends into a warm blend of cinnamon and sweet tobacco for hours, reminding me of a less intrusive, and far more affordable (albeit less complex and shorter lasting) Slumberhouse fragrance. It's not smoky and I am considering layering it w something like Incendo to experience the effect. 12 hours later there's still a drydown of soft woods.

Tried AL's bergamot this morning and I don't love it. It's not bright and summery and I should have read the notes more closely. There's a distinct household cleaning product note carrying through, and as it dries down a dirty animalic musk comes through. What the hell is this?

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I fucking love the smell of cumin

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

i've only tried a few etat libre d'orange, but wasn't that into them.

i feel like it takes a while to land on things you genuinely like. at least for me, i went through the usual "get the classics," then "go far out into left field and try all sorts of weird stuff," and then "settle on whatever you like."

some of the "classics" are ok. some are a bit dated. some of them are the kind of "oh i guess i'll get this because it's an easy go-to scent that's crowd pleasing." but then you pick up a few of those and you have a few go-tos that you never reach for as much as stuff you really love. the problem is that it takes a while to really figure out what you love.

fwiw, some of the ones i wear the most are:

Black Bvlgari: super cheap, smells like burnt tar and rubber. a hint of suede. i remember reading a bunch of good stuff about this, not least of which included tania sanchez saying it was one of her favorites. bought a bottle on discount (easy to find for like $30). sniffed it a few times and was like 'eh, it's ok.' but the thing is, black is super easy to wear. it's masculine without being macho. it goes with a lot of my casualwear (rrl, margiela, etc). it's interesting without being too out there. and yes, it smells like tar and rubber, but in that slightly gasoline way that makes fahrenheit good. (also lasts much longer)

Helmut Lang Cuiron: Like the inside of a suede bag. Hint of citrus and cedar. Kind of dusty without being powdery. Works like Black -- masculine, but not macho, easy to wear with leather jackets. Nonoffensive, but interesting.

Cologne Indelebile by Frederic Malle: Basically orange blossom. It's similar to Tom Ford's Neroli Portifino. Easy to wear like Hermes Terre d'Hermes, but less earthy (Terre d'Hermes can be a little heavy on really hot days, but I think Cologne Indelebile works year round). Not the most interesting scent, but goes well with tailored clothing. Whole Frederic Malle line is worth exploring, imo.

Pale Gray Mountain, Small Black Lake by DS & Durga: Again, I really like almost everything from DS & Durga, but they did this series a while ago inspired by the Scottish Highlands (IIRC). The perfumer at this company, David, is really good at photorealistic scents. I'm normally not into that kind of thing, but he does it really well. This one in the Highlands series smells like ... well, like you're in the Scottish Highlands climbing some rocky, grassy hills overlooking a lake. It's good with tweeds, Shetlands, and whatever you'd imagine you'd wear to such a place. So, basically fall clothing.

Chanel Sycomore: Just a solid classic. Sandalwood, vetiver, and tobacco. Sometimes I smell stuff like this and feel like a lot of modern perfumery is too gimmicky. This one is just ISO Super! Or, this one is like walking through a wet forest! Or, this one is like your grandpa's pipe! Sycamore isn't any of those things. It's not literal; it's a very well blended and sophsiicated scent that simply smells like Chanel's Sycomore. It's not dated, but it's still a classic. It's unisex., It's good with almost any wardrobe. Chanel's Cuir de Russie is also worth a sniff. And Encre Noir is pretty close to Sycomore, but if money isn't an issue, I would rather get a bottle of Sycmore and then Encre Noire a l'Extreme.