• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Managed to get hold of a vintage unopened bottle of Derby EdT from someone who clearly didn't know what it was. First time I tried the original formula. Modern Derby is an excellent fragrance, but gosh this is something else. Must be one of the greatest chypres ever made. Great depth and complexity. Love those bergamot and citrus top notes and the long, long drydown with oakmoss, patchouli and leather. Need to get more of this stuff.
Great find! wonderful fragrance.

For me tonight its Amouage Memoir Man.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good price on an old bottle of Derby makes for a good day.

Today I wore Cartier L’Envol, perfect for cool weather.

I got a couple of samples from Le Labo: Tonka 25, which has an extremely strong synthetic and ambroxan base which is in no way by the quickly-disappearing topnotes, and Jasmine 17, which I’ve yet to try.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couteau de Poche Fumabat. I wore it yesterday too. It's weird, it's dark, and it's a little funky. It lasts forever. It reminds me of both Slumberhouse and Sultan Pasha stuff. I just bought a FB, my first of anything since the start of 2017.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couteau de Poche Fumabat. I wore it yesterday too. It's weird, it's dark, and it's a little funky. It lasts forever. It reminds me of both Slumberhouse and Sultan Pasha stuff. I just bought a FB, my first of anything since the start of 2017.
Fumabat was one of my only FB purchases last year as well.
I’ve never heard of this one, but it sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mendittorosa's Archetipo: Mendittorosa's prices are annoyingly high, with most bottles hovering around the $250 mark, but their scents are excellent. This one opens with fir balsam, pink pepper, and incense, and then moves into patchouli, vetiver, amber, and some kind of blond wood. The tiniest hint of oakmoss in the background. It's an atypical take on your traditional "outdoorsy" and "walk in the forest" scent. Slightly sweet and floral, with blond wood, fir balsam, and vetiver dominating.

If I had one criticism, it's that, sometimes, it can smell a bit like a candle. There's even a strange, almost waxy overlay on this.

House of Vartan, FWIW, has a bunch of Mendittorosa's scents on sale right now. Twisted Lily also occasionally discounts them through their sales. My favorites thus far from them are Alfa, North, and this one. Le Mat is also pretty good for a rose, although I don't particularly like rose.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Art de Parfum's Gin and Tonic: I know this will surprise you, but Art de Parfum's Gin and Tonic smells like gin and tonic. It's zesty, fresh, and citrusy. It's refreshing and slightly floral. Bit of melon, cucumber, lemon zest, juniper berry, and grapefruit. In the drydown, there's a tiny hint of vetiver, musk, and ambergris, but they're faint. Marketed as a cologne, but it has EDT strength on me.

A solid fragrance, even if it's not terribly unique, and I can see how someone would like it during the summertime. My only quibble is that there are so many interesting takes on a fizzy champagne-y drink or melon that this one doesn't feel terribly interesting. Off the top of my head, I think I would sooner reach for Masque L'Attesa, DS & Durga's Debaser, or anything from Olfactive Studio, which are equally as wearable as Gin and Tonic, but a bit more interesting. For a $150 50ml bottle, it feels like you could do better, although I don't think anyone would ever be repelled by this scent.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Bought a decant of Guerlain L’homme Ideal EDT and love it. I had samples of the Cologne, this and the EDP in the past. It gets a lot of dislike and it’s probably the synthetics? I haven’t sampled nearly as much as you guys but I can’t think of think of anything else I’ve smelled that’s similar. Maybe slightly softer then I like but I wouldn’t mind a full bottle when this is gone.

Also picked up a decant of Penhaligons Sartorial. I get ginger,pepper and beeswax in the first hour. Then it’s Drakkar Noir like oakmoss and beeswax remaining. Nice but didn’t love it and am happy with the 10mls I own.

The newer Tom Ford’s masculines haves peeked my interest and I think I’m going to seek them out this weekend. Has anyone smelled Fougere D’argent or Beau de Jour?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a decant of Guerlain L’homme Ideal EDT and love it. I had samples of the Cologne, this and the EDP in the past. It gets a lot of dislike and it’s probably the synthetics? I haven’t sampled nearly as much as you guys but I can’t think of think of anything else I’ve smelled that’s similar. Maybe slightly softer then I like but I wouldn’t mind a full bottle when this is gone.

Also picked up a decant of Penhaligons Sartorial. I get ginger,pepper and beeswax in the first hour. Then it’s Drakkar Noir like oakmoss and beeswax remaining. Nice but didn’t love it and am happy with the 10mls I own.

The newer Tom Ford’s masculines haves peeked my interest and I think I’m going to seek them out this weekend. Has anyone smelled Fougere D’argent or Beau de Jour?
I was never able to describe the sweetness I smell from Penahaligon Sartorial. I think it’s beeswax. I have a 100ml bottle and am getting bored of it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The past two days I’ve been wearing Tam Dao EdT, wanting to bring in the New Year with my “first love” when it concerns niche scents. It’s also one of my favorite comfort scents, being bone-dry with a warm glow.

Supergenius

Reaction score
The past two days I’ve been wearing Tam Dao EdT, wanting to bring in the New Year with my “first love” when it concerns niche scents. It’s also one of my favorite comfort scents, being bone-dry with a warm glow.
I love Tam Dao but have been out of it for months. I need to buy some more.

Supergenius

Reaction score
My family got me some Maison Margiela edc for a gift a while back. They employ Margiela’s “replica” methodology and try to replicate various iconic scents. I have “At the barber”, “Jazz Club” and “By the Fire”. They are all very nice with “barber” being my go-to for its clean, fresh scent.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mendittorosa's Archetipo: Mendittorosa's prices are annoyingly high, with most bottles hovering around the $250 mark, but their scents are excellent. This one opens with fir balsam, pink pepper, and incense, and then moves into patchouli, vetiver, amber, and some kind of blond wood. The tiniest hint of oakmoss in the background. It's an atypical take on your traditional "outdoorsy" and "walk in the forest" scent. Slightly sweet and floral, with blond wood, fir balsam, and vetiver dominating.

If I had one criticism, it's that, sometimes, it can smell a bit like a candle. There's even a strange, almost waxy overlay on this.

House of Vartan, FWIW, has a bunch of Mendittorosa's scents on sale right now. Twisted Lily also occasionally discounts them through their sales. My favorites thus far from them are Alfa, North, and this one. Le Mat is also pretty good for a rose, although I don't particularly like rose.
where did you sample these? can't seem to find

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Dior Higher Energy today, which I think ma femme bought me at an airport. It's light and sort of fun, but doesn't seem over the top in any notable way to me.

I wore Creed Aventus a couple days ago, and I don't know what it is about that scent, but everyone was praising it. Yesterday was Dior Homme and is a closet favorite of mine but maybe more subtle. If I ask, people love it (i.e., I'll ask my family not strangers!), but if not mentioned, I won't necessarily accrue unsolicited compliments.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.