1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Distinguished Member

Actually I believe IA (and a fair chunk of other niche brands) rely heavily on synthetics, which would explain my headaches with IA.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

I don't mind synthetics, but sometimes depending on the notes and combination, they can feel a little sharp. On the other hand, purely natural perfumes can feel a bit muddled.

I talked to David Moltz, the perfumer at DS & Durga, about this once. He described synthetics as things that give a scent structure. That also made sense to me. Purely natural perfumes feel a bit flat and muddy, whereas synthetics feel like you're walking through a three dimensional structure. But sometimes, depending on those note combinations, it also feels like you're bumping into some very sharp corners.

3. Makin

Makin Member

Recently bought Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford for office wear. Feel great wearing it with suit and tie.
    I'm a huge fan of Chanel Homme Edition blance and Frapin - l'Hummaniste. Was very happy to find Grey Vetiver, maybe you guys can recommend something similar?
    Also tried and like Still Life by Olfactive Still, planning to buy next, but it's kinda boring.

And last thing, want to try something new for Autumn/Winter. Thinking of Black Afgano by Nasomatto. Liked it at first, but after 3 tests tired of it.

Can you guys recomend somehting for office wear based on this information ? :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018 at 4:52 AM

4. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

Really like all three of those.

Today its Tom Ford Italian Cypress. The namesake note, plus lemon and herbs on a woody base. Fairly simple stuff, but something I enjoy, especially in late summer. Parfum de l'Empire's Eau de Gloire is along the same lines.

5. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

I LOVE TF IC. Couldn’t find it recently.

6. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

I need to try some TF. Any recommendations for one or two of his must-have fragrances?

I'm wearing Creed GIT today. I know Creed gets a bad rap for its price point etc however Green Irish Tweed is always a crowd pleaser, and I feel rather distinguished in it.

7. dieworkwear

Tom Ford's Ombre Leather and Neroli Portofino are pretty good.

8. dieworkwear

A Different Company's Une Nuit Magnetique: Starting to think I just don't like rose, with a few exceptions. This opens with ginger and bergamont, then moves to a dusty rose, jasmine, and tuberose. Drydown is pachouli, musk, and amber.

A perfectly fine scent, but also a little generic. It's basically a sweet floral with some woody spicy notes in the background. It's warm and sweet, maybe a little feminine. The accords throughout the fragrance just feel a bit ho hum.

9. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

I like the aforementioned IC, Neroli Portofino, Amber Absolute, Noir de Noir (mossy rose) and Lavender Palm. @L'Incandescent knows the line very well, see if he might chime in.

I also like Creed's GIT, but can't wear it because my wife gets the sneezes when I do.

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Black Orchid and Noir are his only good fragrances. They are very nice.

11. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Try Tom Ford for men extreme and Tuscan Leather

Wearing D&G By Man today. This stuff needs to be released from the vault. Great fougere

12. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Distinguished Member

Great encapsulation of Tom Ford scents above.

Today I'm wearing Dior Sauvage, which despite the slightly too hip ad campaign, is quite refreshing and does seem to give that slightly wild allure.

13. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I've been wearing a sample of Comme des Garcons Black over the past three days and wonder why I've never bought a bottle. The combination of dry anise, incense, and birch tar is amazing.

14. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior Member

I sampled a handful at Barneys. I remember liking Purple Fig the SA said it was “too dirty” but I didn’t feel that way at all. Ive got a few mls of Dirty Velvet from that day which I don’t think I’ll finish. Made me feel overly self conscious. Morning Chess would be the most likely purchase for me from them but everything I sampled had quality. I think I’ll revisit the house I like the 18ml bottle size.

I really enjoy his work and hope he visits Chicago sometime. Anyone have any experience with the HYLNDS line? Luckyscent seems to still have a few available on their site.

15. dieworkwear

Yea, HYLNDS is great, esp if you take style inspiration from that region in general (so, like, tweeds and spongey sweaters, etc). I have a bottle of Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake. A bit of a mouthful, but nice to smell.